• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    If the forecast holds it looks to be a great day for some IDPA this Saturday! I'm not terribly motivated to shoot a Classifier since I had no desire to class up before Sellersberg...might be time to try the old CDP run again... anybody going for anything particular at RB this weekend?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I asked if we were still going to do a classifier given the good forecast and I got the "already said this once" look, so I think it is cast in stone.

Wanted to shoot ssp but may chicken out as I still have gun toss memories.

If a person didn't care about getting classified, running the course with something safe but otherwise illegal (bug gun, gun with optics) might be interesting.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    I asked if we were still going to do a classifier given the good forecast and I got the "already said this once" look, so I think it is cast in stone.

If a person didn't care about getting classified, running the course with something safe but otherwise illegal (bug gun, gun with optics) might be interesting.

The gun toss did not bother me and I was standing behind you, you have many years of experience and it just goes to show you things can and will happen, I think you should shoot SSP, just dont sandbag:rules:lol!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

You know, that is a hell of an idea! I keep forgetting about the extra division they added for those types of guns. Might have to rethink what I shoot on Saturday!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    If the forecast holds it looks to be a great day for some IDPA this Saturday! I'm not terribly motivated to shoot a Classifier since I had no desire to class up before Sellersberg...might be time to try the old CDP run again... anybody going for anything particular at RB this weekend?

Ya know, I think once again I'm realizing I'm just a revo guy. Been working with the kids on the M&P and that's cool, but for me I just couldn't care less. The only classification I kind of/sort of care anything about grabbing is an SSR class, but it's kind of pointless as I won't run SSR in any matches local or major. And I care nothing about 5 gun awards.

When you hold a "get out of classifier for life" card, you sort of want to use it and it sort of takes the wind out of one's sail for running a classifier. It's just a mute point. I know Scott gives the wise advice that the classifier reveals strengths and weakenesses, but frankly I can run it in my back yard in 5 minutes to find that out.

Plus, family is heading down to the in-laws Saturday. Would like to be here to send them off.

Thus, I doubt I'll be at RB. If I do show, I might just come to help SO.

I hope to see some guys rank up though. It would be good to see DonO hit MA and for Jeff to hit his goal of EX. I don't really know what everyone is looking for, except Mike and I do understand wanting to hold class where one is. But, however it is ran it will get a shooter classed for a year and that comes in handy for majors and so forth.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Ya know, I think once again I'm realizing I'm just a revo guy. Been working with the kids on the M&P and that's cool, but for me I just couldn't care less. The only classification I kind of/sort of care anything about grabbing is an SSR class, but it's kind of pointless as I won't run SSR in any matches local or major. And I care nothing about 5 gun awards.

When you hold a "get out of classifier for life" card, you sort of want to use it and it sort of takes the wind out of one's sail for running a classifier. It's just a mute point. I know Scott gives the wise advice that the classifier reveals strengths and weakenesses, but frankly I can run it in my back yard in 5 minutes to find that out.

Plus, family is heading down to the in-laws Saturday. Would like to be here to send them off.

Thus, I doubt I'll be at RB. If I do show, I might just come to help SO.

I hope to see some guys rank up though. It would be good to see DonO hit MA and for Jeff to hit his goal of EX. I don't really know what everyone is looking for, except Mike and I do understand wanting to hold class where one is. But, however it is ran it will get a shooter classed for a year and that comes in handy for majors and so forth.

I may have said it before but it is probably just a matter of figuring out what is most important for me. I'll pretend like I'll not care what the results are from Saturday but I'll still go there with every intention of hitting MA whether it is a good idea or not!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I may have said it before but it is probably just a matter of figuring out what is most important for me. I'll pretend like I'll not care what the results are from Saturday but I'll still go there with every intention of hitting MA whether it is a good idea or not!

Doing your best is always a good idea, sounds cheesy but I think it is right. Other thing is I think that once you start thinking of yourself as competing in that class then good things happen in terms of your confidence and practice goals and performance.
    Really the only upside of holding back would be maybe getting a lower classification trophy that you would feel hinky about anyway?

Most important consideration is that it puts your big arse farther away from mine on the score sheets so I do not need to fret about 30 second + differentials. Sure hope Don O makes it also!!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Doing your best is always a good idea, sounds cheesy but I think it is right. Other thing is I think that once you start thinking of yourself as competing in that class then good things happen in terms of your confidence and practice goals and performance.
    Really the only upside of holding back would be maybe getting a lower classification trophy that you would feel hinky about anyway?

Most important consideration is that it puts your big arse farther away from mine on the score sheets so I do not need to fret about 30 second + differentials. Sure hope Don O makes it also!!

:laugh: Glad to see that your motives for folks classing up are altruistic!

You are exactly right in all points, both as thinking and seeing yourself shooting at the highest class and in doing one's best on the classifier.

The way I see it, even if a guy makes a MA class run but isn't really shooting field courses at a MA class level, he simply needs to view it as working into his rank. And, yes, you will feel hinky about grabbing trophies when you're not really at the class your shooting. I took 1st SS at the 2013 Indoor Nats and came to RB the next week shooting the classifier as an EX. Really wasn't fair to the other true SS in the division. Can't say I was sandbagging, it's just the way the schedule worked to get classifiers ran.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

:D HA! Jeff is all about the purity of motives LOLOL

I never really thought about that particular point... thinking/operating inside your new class and having that push you to be better. In the end, when they put me in the cold cold ground.. I want that MA by my name...even if it isn't that great of an idea LOL

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Re-run match - Definition.

Built in Mulligans on each stage to address that common "man I wish I could do that one over" feeling.

Interesting concept on that. I'll be shooting something non-standard so a reshoot to me might not be used but still....

Will probably pass on the side match though... Me and non-BUG side matches don't seem to my well lol

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    So much for sticking to the plan for sat. :ar15:

Are you joining the RB crew on Saturday? I think Jennifer might be a bit more fatigued than she is letting on... I hope her taking a pass didn't cause too much trouble.

Brent sent me a text last night about that. He built a legacy in that little town that had everybody within 500 miles running for cover! His friends and family should be proud. He will me missed.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    So much for sticking to the plan for sat. :ar15:

You can never make everyone happy.

That is why we have you :).

Kind of looking forward to 8 stages (effectively, I did the math) on a nice day, but any match on a nice day is a good thing.

When I found out we weren't doing a classifier I decided it was ok to work on stage 3 of the classifier :n00b:. If I could get right on string 1 I think the other 2 would fall into place.

Worstest thing for me is shooting on the weak hand side of the barricade, seems like my best way of going at it is to shuffle my feet over after shooting each target & go for maximum stability. Seems like starting on the weak side is the way for me to go as that side is the most critical for initial footing & execution, I also like the notion ending string 1 and starting string 2 shooting from the same position. On the strong hand side I can just do the lean more to get to next target thing and it all feels good. Anyway - anyones ideas or hot tips appreciated.
    Weak side shooting around cover is one of the things that I suck at most so I reckon it should be one of the things I practice most.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You can never make everyone happy.

That is why we have you :).

Kind of looking forward to 8 stages (effectively, I did the math) on a nice day, but any match on a nice day is a good thing.

When I found out we weren't doing a classifier I decided it was ok to work on stage 3 of the classifier :n00b:. If I could get right on string 1 I think the other 2 would fall into place.

Worstest thing for me is shooting on the weak hand side of the barricade, seems like my best way of going at it is to shuffle my feet over after shooting each target & go for maximum stability. Seems like starting on the weak side is the way for me to go as that side is the most critical for initial footing & execution, I also like the notion ending string 1 and starting string 2 shooting from the same position. On the strong hand side I can just do the lean more to get to next target thing and it all feels good. Anyway - anyones ideas or hot tips appreciated.
    Weak side shooting around cover is one of the things that I suck at most so I reckon it should be one of the things I practice most.

I always hit the weak side first on the string 1 of stage 3. I think I mainly do it because I want to get it over with and also because I reload strong hand and it just makes getting to that side a bit more seamless.

Some things I've found that helped me on stage 3:

Open up the field of view by getting back away from the barricade. This will take out the gangsta lean, keep the gun from tilting and thus throwing your sight picture out the door. Better sight picture means faster transitions between targets as well. You're probably doing it right if the muzzle does not extend past the barricade.

When shooting left, lead with the left foot. When shooting right, lead with the right foot. This keeps the upper body square to the targets.

In string 2, RUN like Forest, don't gallop to the barrel. Most of us are in the 4x4 club now so we have nothing to loose.

For strings 2 and 3, good hits are required, which is somewhat difficult to do because the mind thinks since we're closer we can blaze those strings down. Low points down is what will save that stage, not time.

If possible, dryfire practice the classifier on 1/3 or smaller targets.

Secret classifiers also help greatly on stage 3.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom