• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I think Dusty and I need a dueling LCP stage. :)

I see 380 available online frequently. In stores, not so much.

Keep an eye out here: GunBot 380acp pistol ammo

LCP prices have hit new record lows, I've seen them online in the past week for $239.
    That's cheaper then 3 yrs ago when I bought our two.

If you think you may be interested in a CT Laser for the LCP, it is much cheaper to purchase the gun with the CT included.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Speaking of 380s.......

The wife brought the issue up again today so we ran over to Whittakers to handle a few. Nothing against any other brands, but it just seems like Smith has a much better idea with the BG (last round hold, breaks down like an M&P, comes with 2 mags, 2nd strike capable, etc). Jen liked it the best of all she handled, so to grab it and they said that sales were so slow the FFL in Evansville was only coming once every two weeks. Fail. Called Daves in Holland and the Weirthwein near Newburgh. Weirthwein's price was the same as Whittakers after you count transfer and I had to visit some sick folk in Evansville anyway. $360 for a 380BG out the door. She did pick up a pocket holster at Whittakers. And, really that's the main thing about this purchase. She thinks, as do I, that she will carry much more with pocket carry and the 380BG will fit that bill nicely.

And some ammo. Might just be a south of the Ohio thing but the 380 shelf at Whittakers was full of everything from Tula to Remington ball and all manner of defensive ammo. :dunno: We grabbed some Tula brass and Federal Hydrashoks.

Now to get some dies, lead and a mold:faint:

I'm not sure why but she wasn't as kosher with me getting the gun I wanted there- a 627 snub. It was only $916:dunno:....seemed like a double standard to me:D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just in case anyone is interested, Wal-Mart was running 12ga Federal bulk on sale for $20 in Owensboro. I had seen the price creep up to $28 so I thought this would be a good time to replenish the supply.

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    Speaking of 380s.......

The wife brought the issue up again today so we ran over to Whittakers to handle a few. Nothing against any other brands, but it just seems like Smith has a much better idea with the BG (last round hold, breaks down like an M&P, comes with 2 mags, 2nd strike capable, etc). Jen liked it the best of all she handled, so to grab it and they said that sales were so slow the FFL in Evansville was only coming once every two weeks. Fail. Called Daves in Holland and the Weirthwein near Newburgh. Weirthwein's price was the same as Whittakers after you count transfer and I had to visit some sick folk in Evansville anyway. $360 for a 380BG out the door. She did pick up a pocket holster at Whittakers. And, really that's the main thing about this purchase. She thinks, as do I, that she will carry much more with pocket carry and the 380BG will fit that bill nicely.

And some ammo. Might just be a south of the Ohio thing but the 380 shelf at Whittakers was full of everything from Tula to Remington ball and all manner of defensive ammo. :dunno: We grabbed some Tula brass and Federal Hydrashoks.

I'm not sure why but she wasn't as kosher with me getting the gun I wanted there- a 627 snub. It was only $916:dunno:....seemed like a double standard to me:D

How much tweeking/improvement does a new out the box gun need such as 686, $......:spend:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Speaking of 380s.......

Great news about the BG! Glad your wife found one she likes! And you need to tell her that we are shocked at her blatant double-standard! I am stunned! I never thought she'd act that way lol :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    How much tweeking/improvement does a new out the box gun need such as 686, $......:spend:

Unless something is wrong from the factory, Smiths are generally ready to go right out of the box.

But....

There's some things you will want done. The hammer spur really needs to come off and the cylinder needs to be chamfered and possibly reamed (usually not a problem on 357s). Most smiths can get this done for you under the $75 range. If you can work with metal you can get the tools to chamfer and ream for about that cost.

You can bend the factory mainspring and cut the return spring to get things down to the 7 or 8 lb range. This is free and will be perfectly suitable for playing games.

But if you want a gun that you can shoot strong hand and support hand with ease and has a trigger pull in the 5lb range, you'll probably need to get it into a revosmith's shop. Bosshoss on the forum has worked over guns for me and Jeff- I think I've had 5 in to him. Price? Well, I really don't know. I've had revos there that the work priced out at $150 (my first one, I think). My last one came out at $250.

So, to get one Ferrari ready to race, it's safe to say around $250. But a lot of guys can help you get them better than factory a lot cheaper.

Great news about the BG! Glad your wife found one she likes! And you need to tell her that we are shocked at her blatant double-standard! I am stunned! I never thought she'd act that way lol :D

Me too. I think we might need to see a counselor about this. My feelings are still hurt pretty bad:D

Hmmm, buy a 380, carry it for a while, realize that muggers are usually larger than house cats & small woodland animals, trade in the 380.

Just sayin.

I know what you're saying my friend and frankly 380 would not be my choice for a carry caliber (357 is). Nevertheless, I came across a scene once, home invasion, that had no less than 4 bodies on the floor. Blood was everywhere. The sole weapon used was a 380 with ball ammo.

I've also seen a couple of folks meet their end, and even had a family member meet her end with a 25 auto round.

On the other hand, I've seen deer take 50cal and 300winmag hits to the heart and run a looong way off before laying down.

It's just a weird thing, but I agree, not my first choice for carry caliber.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I know what you're saying my friend and frankly 380 would not be my choice for a carry caliber (357 is). Nevertheless, I came across a scene once, home invasion, that had no less than 4 bodies on the floor. Blood was everywhere. The sole weapon used was a 380 with ball ammo.

I've also seen a couple of folks meet their end, and even had a family member meet her end with a 25 auto round.

On the other hand, I've seen deer take 50cal and 300winmag hits to the heart and run a looong way off before laying down.

It's just a weird thing, but I agree, not my first choice for carry caliber.

I deserve a -2 for being snarky about the caliber and a -20 for taking you to a place you'd likely prefer not to think about. 380 in hand beats howitzer at home.

Reminds me, I shot a Glock 10mm at RB last year, was surprised that it just seemed really fun to shoot and not all 'magnum-wanna-flinch' ish. It was winchester white box target ammo so perhaps the hot stuff would be not so fun though. If there was cheap brass to be had I think I would need to own one (10mm I mean, not Glock ( :poop: )).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I deserve a -2 for being snarky about the caliber and a -20 for taking you to a place you'd likely prefer not to think about. 380 in hand beats howitzer at home.

Reminds me, I shot a Glock 10mm at RB last year, was surprised that it just seemed really fun to shoot and not all 'magnum-wanna-flinch' ish. It was winchester white box target ammo so perhaps the hot stuff would be not so fun though. If there was cheap brass to be had I think I would need to own one (10mm I mean, not Glock ( :poop: )).

No minuses needed my friend, I know where you're coming from.

I think the only failing of the 10mm is that it just never took off with the populace, resulting in the high ammo and component price. I'm not quite sure how long a pistol could handle a steady diet of it, if hotter rounds were being launched. All the same though, great round. Smith made a revo just for it but they are scarce.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Dont you own a Glock?!?!? LOLOL

I'd love to have a Glock 20 (10mm) but I don't like guns chambered in $5 bills!

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    Hmmm, buy a 380, carry it for a while, realize that muggers are usually larger than house cats & small woodland animals, trade in the 380.

Just sayin.

I sold a LCP and bought a larger frame 380....does not fit pocket as well but is much more fun to shoot.:horse:

Last edited:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Not my fault.
    Every once in the while I get this 'must have new gun' compulsion thing, and they are everywhere you look. It is like candy in the check out lanes.
    Currently fighting off a 'must have XDS' problem.

I suffer from the same thing! It is a very expensive disease to say the least! I know for me it also brings with it a 'what gun should I shoot now? ' side effect!

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I sold a LCP and bought a larger frame 380....does not fit pocket as well but is much more fun to shoot.:horse:

Was not designed in any way to be fun to shoot. Not it's purpose in the least.

I don't want 30oz of gun in my pocket no matter how small it is.

Another son in law has the S&W BG. Meh. To each his own and all that.
    We all knew it would automatically be a smith in that household.

If you are carrying modern 380 SD ammo, I don't think it's anything to sneeze at.

Lots of folks 6ft under that were put there by that completely useless SD round the 22lr.

Then again, in another thread on pocket carry, there is the guy claiming he carries a Ruger SR45 in his pocket. :whistle:

Last edited:

Sandbagger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Mount Vernon
    Was not designed in any way to be fun to shoot it's purpose in the least.

I don't want 30oz of gun in my pocket no matter how small it is.

Another son in law has the S&W BG. Meh. To each his own and all that.
    We all knew it would automatically be a smith in that household.

If you are carrying modern 380 SD ammo, I don't think it's anything to sneeze at.

Lots of folks 6ft under that were put there by that completely useless SD round the 22lr.

Then again, in another thread on pocket carry, there is the guy claiming he carries a Ruger SR45 in his pocket. :whistle:

Well, I go to the range to have fun whatever I shoot, that is my intention. I do not pocket carry, it is considered a pocket gun and just stating a simple fact of size.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom