• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'll be in Illinois shooting the Brownells Gateway 3gun on Saturday. I can't wait! Tiff is taking the kiddos to the Zoo with their Grandma. St. Louis Zoo, not Evansville... We've never had a problem there lol.
    Good luck, man. Bring home some wood or whatever they give out for 3-gun. :D

Tell Tiff we said hi and have fun at da zoo. We've always enjoyed the St. Louis zoo.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    All I have to say is... wow... Looney and I hit the range last night and I came away with a few tidbits. Biggest is how much strength I've lost in my support hand after inuring. Second was I somehow developed a bit of bad trigger finger placement that was causing me some serious low-left issues while slow-fire practicing. Another biggie was how much I love the new FO front sight. Still dig the black/black combo I had but dang...the difference is incredible!

Really looking forward to tomorrow... still not sure what to shoot after looking over the COFs. Should be an interesting day to say the least!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    All I have to say is... wow... Looney and I hit the range last night and I came away with a few tidbits. Biggest is how much strength I've lost in my support hand after inuring. Second was I somehow developed a bit of bad trigger finger placement that was causing me some serious low-left issues while slow-fire practicing. Another biggie was how much I love the new FO front sight. Still dig the black/black combo I had but dang...the difference is incredible!

Really looking forward to tomorrow... still not sure what to shoot after looking over the COFs. Should be an interesting day to say the least!

It would be nice if shooting was like riding a bicycle and not a perishable skill:laugh: Enjoy tomorrow my friend! USPSA is a lot of fun.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

Must have been bad mojo practice night. Did a top secret classifier.

Don O sucked and got irritated about it.
    Brian couldn't get his 1911 Trophy match to run and got irritated about it.
    Jim was doing good until stage 3, and then he started using profanities in a manner and with conviction that I did not know he was capable of.
    I wanted to do my second run with new XD & new holster. Had never done a fast draw with either. Dropped loaded gun on ground & got embarrassed about it.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Wow, sounds like there were good times to be had all around.

I think even if I shoot poorly practicing, if I at least learn a little something useful, it's not a total waste. But when you go spend X amount of time and ammo, and walk away feeling terrible with nothing gained except some bad range time, that's just the worst.

I wanted to do my second run with new XD & new holster. Had never done a fast draw with either. Dropped loaded gun on ground & got embarrassed about it.

Never a good thing, but better to do it for free vs spending match fees and travel expenses to get it out of your system. :laugh:

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Must have been bad mojo practice night. Did a top secret classifier.

Don O sucked and got irritated about it.
    Brian couldn't get his 1911 Trophy match to run and got irritated about it.
    Jim was doing good until stage 3, and then he started using profanities in a manner and with conviction that I did not know he was capable of.

I've heard that a lot of these issues can be overcome if you've got the right guy running the timer:):

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It ain't Jim.
    Missed expert on my first run by 1.03, and then the guy dq's me without even a shot on run 2.

1.03 off of EX in ESP? That's a good run my friend!

The nerve of some people- they'll dq you for the slightest things.

So, what kind of dancing was going on with the secret squad as that loaded gun tumbled to the ground?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    1.03 off of EX in ESP? That's a good run my friend!

As soon as I get past feeling justifiably stupid (STOO - PID), I'm going to feel pretty perky about it. I screwed up on stage 3 and dropped 30 points, so I'm thinking that the rest is repeatable and a good stage 3 would have me where I'd like to get to with a little cushion.
    Achieve the Ex goal & then maybe I can go find a cheaper hobby that is less frustrating.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    As soon as I get past feeling justifiably stupid (STOO - PID), I'm going to feel pretty perky about it. I screwed up on stage 3 and dropped 30 points, so I'm thinking that the rest is repeatable and a good stage 3 would have me where I'd like to get to with a little cushion.
    Achieve the Ex goal & then maybe I can go find a cheaper hobby that is less frustrating.

I hate to say it, I think you're well past required speed needed for EX, you always look fast as all get out. Go turtle mode on stage 3. Dunno where your 30 downs came from specifically, but 10-15 seconds is huge and I think easily possible to clean up by slowing a bit. :twocents:

Here's the tip I always refer to...

" Classifier Stage 3

Big Secret: For shooters at the Marksman level and below, this stage is actually a Bullseye Target Pistol Match disguised as an IDPA stage. There is even a barricade and a tactical reload thrown in to fool you into forgetting this! But there are 18 shots at 20 yards, and 12 more shots at 15 yards. Slow down! - Way Down. Shoot this like you are shooting for a small group size at 25 yards; Precise sight alignment and trigger control are paramount. Many shooters rise from Marksman to Sharpshooter only by slowing down on Stage 3 and getting the hits. No kidding! - I did it myself, and I've seen many others do it as well."

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That's good advice. Stage 3 is not forgiving of ANY gun handling mistakes that you can get away with at 7 and 10 yards.

But.....

Slowing down may not be the answer. I know for myself and a few other shooters, if we slow down we actually shoot worse. For me it becomes very much a flinch type of problem when slowing down. That's true for me in anything shooting, not just the sports. The very best way for a deer to avoid getting hit by me is to present himself in such a way that I watch him for a few minutes. The very best way for one to die right now is to come out unaware, front sight, trigger, DRT. Don't know what others may experience, but slowing down isn't always the answer. It might be for some, but not necessarily for all:twocents:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    He Who Must Be Adhered To (BossHoss) told me that limited 10 or production or single stack might actually help me with keeping track of targets. I think the way it goes is that you tend to plan your route in groups relative to magazine capacity, sometimes it is the limited or open guys who tend to sort of get lost. Assuming that I understood correctly.

Well I'll be you were listening.:laugh:

A note on Limited vs Production, assuming someone has enough mags and carriers Production can start with 11 rounds in the gun and 10 in a mag after that. A limited gun usually runs 19 to 20 in a mag +1 in the chamber. Now someone shooting a Glock or M&P, ect. will have 17 + 1 at the start.
    Now Garys stages are not the norm you see at most USPSA matches as his are for the most part 6 and 4 shot arrays with an occasional 8 shot array. The norm is 8 shot arrays at most clubs. If you are shooting a Glock or M&P loaded to capacity so you don't have to do a reload between shooting positions the first 2 positions will be 16 rounds. That gives you 2 extra in the gun to slide lock. Now what if you miss a piece of steel maybe a couple of times or put a shot in hard cover and need a make up? You will run the gun to slide lock.
    The production gun in the above scenario with doing a reload will have 21 rounds available in the first 2 positions that's 3 extra shots. Now you have the chance to screw up more reloads but that means you need to practice reloads more.
    Limited has the advantage when a star or small steel plates or poppers are involved as you can come into those positions with a fresh mag in the gun. But same as before if you need that many extra rounds on steel or small targets you probably need to slow down and practice more.:):
    The big thing with limited is if you are shooting a .40 you can score major. If someone doesn't mind minor scoring against other's shooting major then you can buy mag extensions for Glocks and M&P's and other 9's that stay in the 140mm length that will allow 22-23 rounds in the gun.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Paul (Bosshoss) has been doing USPSA almost as long as I've been alive. I think he even started one of the clubs up north, held majors there and was Area 51 Grand Poomba or something. The short of it is that he's knows what's up (and I'm pretty sure he will give the real, actual time- important when dealing with USPSA ROs these days). Whether anyone else thinks so or not, that's good advice. But, take it for what it's worth. I actually like shooting with new shooters at other clubs and majors than the normal crew down our way. Others seem to like to shoot with the same people all the time. It's really whatever floats your boat.

Learning stage breakdown will help any other game you shoot. It's one of my weaknesses that I need to become more proficient at. This will do you good.

The most important tip I can give you is TELL NO ONE there that you're and IDPA shooter. The good ole boys from my native state won't care at all. The MD won't care. Others will and you will likely be asked "what class" and upon telling them they'll be like "oh, EX eh, yeah, that's about D class here":laugh:

Grelber, I'm surprised Paul didn't add revo into that division list:laugh:

You make me feel old TJ:laugh:
    Maybe it is because I am.:dunno:

One good thing about getting old is I have a excuse if I get beat and it make it all the sweeter when I whup up on the youngins.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You make me feel old TJ:laugh:
    Maybe it is because I am.:dunno:

One good thing about getting old is I have a excuse if I get beat and it make it all the sweeter when I whup up on the youngins.

Perhaps "well seasoned" is the best way to put it:laugh:

So, gotta know, are you running 8 or 6 tomorrow. If I was going I would totally run 6 major because of the classifier, but I'm a gamer like that:cool:

Saw you shot Jasper last time but Rathen ran in Open. I need to make a match there again sometime before they shut down for the year.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Perhaps "well seasoned" is the best way to put it:laugh:

So, gotta know, are you running 8 or 6 tomorrow. If I was going I would totally run 6 major because of the classifier, but I'm a gamer like that:cool:

Saw you shot Jasper last time but Rathen ran in Open. I need to make a match there again sometime before they shut down for the year.

I'm running 8 as I have shot that classifier a couple of times already both with the 8 shot and killed it with a 100% run.

Last weekend was a messed up with the way Saturday and Sunday falls and I didn't have a match anywhere that wasn't a long drive so I went to help Jim set up and RO for him. I wasn't even sure I was going to shoot but Jim was doing a all steel stage and I don't get to shoot the Texas star that much so I decided to shoot. Lots of fun with great guys.

Speaking of youngins Gary had his son/grandson(?) there and I have met him before but he is like 10 years old and he has been shooting a single stack for a couple of months. He was fascinated with my revolver and moonclips and we talked alot. After the match I let him run a couple of clips thru the revolver. Gary said he has shot a revolver a few times but never double action. He had trouble opening the gun as it was so big for him. He dryfired it a few times and I loaded it up for him. He took a couple of shots and they went high. He was aiming at a 20 oz plastic pop bottle at about 50 ft. I talked him through the trigger pull and he was bouncing that bottle all over the place. He hit it several times and when he missed it was very close. I think he shot it better than his single stack. Smart alec kids;)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Were those 100% runs with a "friend" on the timer:stickpoke:(too soon???:laugh:)

I think I've met or at least seen that young man run some Single Stack. Hopefully he will want granddad to get him into some wheelgunning now.

I saw your post on Enos about 4" guns. This is good, 99.9% of all ESRing is done with 4" guns in IDPA. We'd love to have you down to shoot sometime! And don't worry, I've got a 4" gun and a fishing vest just for you:D

Hope everyone has a great time at Owensboro tomorrow!

Top Bottom