• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Mike, what was the procedural for on bay 2 with the doorway? Looks like you had reloaded before you started moving?

Slide not fully forward when I moved.... mag was in but slide didn't drop until I was already going forward. Tried to argue that the gun didn't go into battery when I attempted to rack the slide but the SO wouldn't hear any of it :D

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Slide not fully forward when I moved.... mag was in but slide didn't drop until I was already going forward. Tried to argue that the gun didn't go into battery when I attempted to rack the slide but the SO wouldn't hear any of it :D
    Wow. Take his wheel gun away for one club match & he gets all grumpy!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Kidding ??
    (If I'm calling something I shouldn't, I'd like to not do it)

Normally it would have been a procedural. In fact, it's always a procedural unless you are engaging targets in the open so long as target engagement is specified in the course description. On this particular stage the MD's instructions were "engage any way you like using cover." So I did exactly as I was told :D

Still didn't beat Brad though, I'd like to see how he ran that stage.

Have your Refund Yet?
    Celebrate with Comp-Tac Products!!!
    Receive 14% Off Your Online Order
    Tuesday March 4th- Thursday March 6th, 2014
    Enter This Code at Checkout
    RFD-0314

(Comp-tac sale on their website)

Nice, appreciate the link!

I plan on running the video cam each time I showup at a match. Let me know what ya'll would like to see and I'll try to accommodate it next time. It's tricky, trying to stay safe, and out of the SO's way. As I get more practice doing this I have some other possible tricks up my sleeve with a 2nd cam and a tripod on certain stages that allow it.

Sounds good to me! There's a lot to be learned from these vids and I appreciate you taking them. For what it's worth, I never noticed you when I was SOing or shooting. Good job!

And if you listen close in the vid, you will discover what they really thought about that call LOL:laugh:

Wow. Take his wheel gun away for one club match & he gets all grumpy!

LOL! I noticed you escaped the cool kids squad, could you see this coming?

It all comes with a cost. I could feel the eyes burning into me on that stage when I ran it. Had I so much as lifted a toe, I think they would have come unglued.:laugh:

I tell you, that match did me some good. I've shot all over this country from Mass to Tulsa and I think I have the most fun shooting with ya'll right next door. Thanks for the good times and let's keep'em coming!:rockwoot:

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    LOL! I noticed you escaped the cool kids squad, could you see this coming?

It all comes with a cost. I could feel the eyes burning into me on that stage when I ran it. Had I so much as lifted a toe, I think they would have come unglued.:laugh:

I tell you, that match did me some good. I've shot all over this country from Mass to Tulsa and I think I have the most fun shooting with ya'll right next door. Thanks for the good times and let's keep'em coming!:rockwoot:

I try to get with the cool kids whenever possible but numbers worked against me on Saturday. Also had a friend from work come out & shoot for the 1st time so wanted to be sure and hang with him for the day. He had a lot of fun & plans to be there at WSSC as well. Pretty sure he's hooked.

Have to agree that the time between shooting stages with these characters is worth the price of admission!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Normally it would have been a procedural. In fact, it's always a procedural unless you are engaging targets in the open so long as target engagement is specified in the course description. On this particular stage the MD's instructions were "engage any way you like using cover." So I did exactly as I was told :D

Mmmm, seems like a really hard sell that crossing by an unengaged target in front of an opening is using cover, unless there is something deep in the book that says 3.6 does not always apply (or you claim teleportation or go with the Chewbacca defense that Johnny Cochran used on south park).
    That was one of the better South Park episodes by the way.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Mmmm, seems like a really hard sell that crossing by an unengaged target in front of an opening is using cover, unless there is something deep in the book that says 3.6 does not always apply (or you claim teleportation or go with the Chewbacca defense that Johnny Cochran used on south park).
    That was one of the better South Park episodes by the way.

3.6 always applies.

Let's read it: When cover is available, it must be used when shooting, unless the shooter starts in the open and must engage targets while on the way to cover. Shooters may not cross any opening (doorways, windows, open spaces, etc.) without first engaging targets as required by the stage description.

I can't believe you'd doubt Mike's SOing prowess on this one.:D Of course, he knew the trouble men of girth would have on this stage and he might have just let it go:laugh:

This question does bring up a good point though. Let's say a shooter opens a door from the left and then crosses over to the right to engage the targets. He was exposed openly while crossing with a loaded gun, but not while shooting. What say ye seasoned SOs- procedural or not?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    While everyone is meditating on the door crossing question, here's another. For ya'll that have ran lead 9mm, what powder are you using to push it. I'm currently trying Clays because I have a ton of it, and it makes pf with a max load, but I'd like something that could give me a few more hundred fps.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Not sure about rule specifics, but I don't think you should get a ding for the door "cross". I don't personally stand to one far side of a door when opening, more centered or slightly off-center.

Might try power pistol, it's not a super fast powder, but should play friendly with lead. I got some load data from Ben at alliant for jacketed and lead if you're interested.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Power pistol is my favorite for both 9 and 40 major, but it can be really hard to lay hands on.

Rules stuff, my way of calling things is going to be 'cross opening in front of threat & it is 3 seconds' , just because that is how the book reads to me and how I've seen it called every other time I can remember. I will keep asking questions and watching calls though & try to adjust if it seems appropriate or if I think the particular match head honcho would see things different.

Understanding is good! Not really something worth fussing about (although if you guys are going to keep cheating you may want to re-think u-tube :twocents:).

:)

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Power pistol is my favorite for both 9 and 40 major, but it can be really hard to lay hands on.

Rules stuff, my way of calling things is going to be 'cross opening in front of threat & it is 3 seconds' , just because that is how the book reads to me and how I've seen it called every other time I can remember. I will keep asking questions and watching calls though & try to adjust if it seems appropriate or if I think the particular match head honcho would see things different.

Understanding is good! Not really something worth fussing about (although if you guys are going to keep cheating you may want to re-think u-tube :twocents:).

:)

I had some Power Pistol years ago, it's been a while since I've seen any on the shelf. Might have to track some down. Thanks for the tip Jeff and Brent!

As to the cover rule, I think you explained it right by saying that you understand more of what Brad wanted there. You shoot with him more and hang out more, so that makes sense. I don't shoot with him much or hang out much, so I wouldn't be able to mind-read his instruction. I remembered reading a thread a while back on this very issue. Just like us it was pretty well split down the middle, some said it was a procedural, some didn't. It's an enjoyable nuance of IDPA. Cover Procedural or Not - Video Evidence - IDPA Match Announcements, Discussions & Videos - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    The new Buck & Jake's here in Evansville usually has a whole shelf full of power pistol. I use it to push plated 147 gr 9mm

Good to know! Haven't been in the new store yet, maybe I can slip in there while in E-ville. I try to keep to a strict "hospitals, WSSC, Titanium Frost's house" policy there but I think I can make an exception in this case:laugh:

Power Pistol meter well for everyone?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    PP has metered very well for me in the Lee Disks,which can be finicky apparently.
    +1 what David said, I remember seeing a bunch on the Westside B&J's a month or so back, on a couple different occasions.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom