• ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Wow, no smack talk yet :laugh:

Can't speak for anybody but myself, but I really enjoyed today. Great squad and COFs that were just what the doctor ordered. Thank God for the wonderful weather as well. I was happy to SO today. I feel that I "took" more than I gave back last year, so this year I want to do some more giving back. Plus, finishing a RB match by lunch- great to be a part of that kind of history LOL

Plus, giving Mike procedurals is just good for the soul;)

Performance wise, I saw some good shootin' on my squad, and I'm actually surprised at how I finished out- was not expecting that. Either everyone else had a really bad run or I'm not as far behind the curve as I thought I was:laugh:. I definitely have a ways to go for improvement, but I think this gives me just the push I need to practice some more. I'm not able to say that bottom feeder is as fun as revolver yet, kind of missed the old wheelgun today. But, I think I'll stick with bottom feeder for a bit.

So, how did everyone else enjoy match?

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Pretty fun today, good COFs and I think I could've done better than I did, procedurals and all. However, I did learn a few things running rounds thru the chrono afterwards.

Apparently, switching the small backstrap out for the large on the M&P maked a difference in POA/POI, at least for me. Mike also shot a few and seemed to have the same issue as well. Nice to know it wasn't just me...
    I also can apparently run a G34 and G19 fairly decently with next to no experience with them, for the most part. :D

Mike: Slow those 1280fps rounds down! :laugh:

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I reaaaaaally want to get out and start doing some shooting. I've been spending way to much money and not shooting. Today at work found out I get to work next Saturday night so not sure if I'm going to get to be at the match or not.

Just bought a Sig P238 last night. Convinced the wife she needed to step up from the SR22.
    Bought some upgrades for the AR and need to sight in the optic and irons.
    Need to rework my 308 load and resight in it.
    And I really need to fix my 9 loading. Decieded/thinking I had poor lighting when I crono'd them and they are way off.

Glad to see everyone had a good day at the range.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    A lot of fun, felt good to get out finally! Good mix of courses, a couple of them were tricky in terms of cover, exposure to the threats (lake cof). A lot of debate on our squad on best way to approach & whether it violated the spirit of the course.

Really liking the G17 (with a few aftermarket tweaks to perfect the perfection). Need to make every match between now and the May Missouri match.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    A lot of fun, felt good to get out finally! Good mix of courses, a couple of them were tricky in terms of cover, exposure to the threats (lake cof). A lot of debate on our squad on best way to approach & whether it violated the spirit of the course.

Really liking the G17 (with a few aftermarket tweaks to perfect the perfection). Need to make every match between now and the May Missouri match.

You know, that got me wondering.... what all regionals/majors are everyone planning on hitting this year? I know TJ mentioned cutting back a bit from his norm, and I myself dug Sellersburg enough to hit it again this year, plus possibly a few others if time permits.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I feel the same as everyone...thankful to get out and shoot, socialize and just have a fun day at the range! The rustiness showed itself but no matter, I had a blast and it is exactly what the doctor ordered!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I think I could've done better than I did, procedurals and all.

Happy to help:D

wonder what type of team event Brad was talking about today? Wasn't sure if it would be an IDPA match, 1st Saturday of month or something seperate?

When Brad started talking I really hoped he was going to say "who would be up for helping host a major here?" But, the team idea sounds fun. I've seen IDPA clubs do something like this, every team having to have every division covered, etc. Don't know if that's what Brad is thinking. If so, I gotta feeling I'll be chosen as the token wheelgunner for my team- just when I get going with a bottom feeder:laugh:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You know, that got me wondering.... what all regionals/majors are everyone planning on hitting this year? I know TJ mentioned cutting back a bit from his norm, and I myself dug Sellersburg enough to hit it again this year, plus possibly a few others if time permits.

I heard some talk today about a few planning to hit the MO match.

The MO and IL matches can both be shot on Friday or Saturday. Both of these are close enough to Evansville that you can get there the day of the match if folks want to save some pennies on hotel and so forth. Past these matches, things turn into 3 hour drives at the closest.

For me, as you mentioned, I haven't planned to shoot as many. But, my wife brought it to my attention that I'll be needing some points if I want to shoot nationals so I might add a few more than planned into the mix. I'm really looking more to 2015 S&W and 2015 World.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Don't know if that's what Brad is thinking.

Right now he doesn't either at a detail level. Just looking to maybe find something new and fun to try. Hard to figure out the hows though.
    RB might be a major able place if they ever get the back bays done, now up to 1000 folks on the roster, so shutting things down for long enough to do a big match would be a non-starter.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Right now he doesn't either at a detail level. Just looking to maybe find something new and fun to try. Hard to figure out the hows though.
    RB might be a major able place if they ever get the back bays done, now up to 1000 folks on the roster, so shutting things down for long enough to do a big match would be a non-starter.

I look forward to seeing what he can come up with. Definitely a fun idea to mix things up a bit.

Was anyone at the major RB held several years back?

RB is definitely major capable now. I've shot majors at worse ranges. If the rifle bays were opened up, it would put it over the top. But, as you mention, not likely to happen. Plus, majors are a ton of work to get set-up.

Gypsy31

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Newburgh
    I would like to thank everyone for their hospitality and friendly welcome this morning. I came out to the range with my father and son to watch the match. I spoke with a couple of people to got some great information. Hopefully I will be out there next month to participate. Thanks again!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I would like to thank everyone for their hospitality and friendly welcome this morning. I came out to the range with my father and son to watch the match. I spoke with a couple of people to got some great information. Hopefully I will be out there next month to participate. Thanks again!

Glad to hear it and we look forward to seeing you on the range soon!

If you're close and the weather cooperates, most of us will probably be at WSSC in Evansville next Saturday.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon

Excellent! I know who you all were...we were one of the squads at the bay 6 house. Glad you were able to come out and check it out!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    After the match stuff.

The last target in the house was a 180 trap. Right handed shooters tend to angle the gun left during unload and show clear or reload, so when you are already angled almost 180 to the target it is very easy to mess up. At least two shooters on my squad should have been dq'd, the person running me hollered or else I might have done the same thing. This is dear to my heart because the last time I shot elsewhere I think I broke the 180 in a similar circumstance (there were varied opinions in the squad and I didn't get dq'd, but I probably should have been, so I dq'd myself).
    Come to think of it, in two or three years of shooting at RB and a bit less at WSSC I can only remember 1 DQ. I think this is solid data that says we are not doing our job as well as we should be. Other opinions are very welcome. If we decide to tighten things up it needs to be a consistent thing with whoever has the timer.

Shoot throughs are confusing to remember so I just peeked at the book. A shoot through on hard cover does not count, a shoot through a non-threat does count, I didn't see clear reference to what you do when the non-threat is stapled to the target such that you can not see the hole except in the non-threat??

Being asked to quit picking up brass so we can shoot should be a 30 second penalty on first offense. On second offense the brass rat should be required to stay in the way and keep picking up brass while the next shooter runs the course of fire. As noted above, shoot throughs would count.
    An alternative would be to establish a 'this is how we do things' rule which might be the best way to go. WSSC seems to be better than we (RB) are when it comes to figuring new stuff out (although I still think the canary yellow see the man cleavage shirts were a bad idea).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    On second offense the brass rat should be required to stay in the way and keep picking up brass while the next shooter runs the course of fire. As noted above, shoot throughs would count.

With that I nominate Jones for president--- of the world!!:rockwoot:

The stapled NT shoot-through counts on the threat target, just needs to be scored from the back.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Come to think of it, in two or three years of shooting at RB and a bit less at WSSC I can only remember 1 DQ. I think this is solid data that says we are not doing our job as well as we should be. Other opinions are very welcome. If we decide to tighten things up it needs to be a consistent thing with whoever has the timer.

I think in the time I've shot at RB and WSSC I've seen 5 examples of folks that should have been DQ'ed. One came when a guy finished a COF and turned around to sweep the whole squad. Another is when a guy was unloading to show clear, and reached down to pick up his mag while bringing the muzzle inbetween his feet and then back at the squad. 2 came for guns clearing holsters under the bay shelters. Another is when a guy dropped his gun and he was dq'ed. So, yeah, I agree, needs to be stepped up.

Here's the thing, and I don't want to come across critical, but the smaller parts play a part of the whole. If folks are going to be dq'ed for breaking the rules an atmosphere needs to be in place where people know, without a doubt, that every rule will be enforced. You can't really tell a guy "hey, it's against the rules to have a light on your gun" while also giving guys with a ported barrel a pass or not following membership rules. Likewise, when safety rules are broke they are broke because people don't believe those rules apply to them because others didn't either. I'll be the first to say the dq's for safety take precedent over equipment rules and so forth, but if the smaller rules aren't followed then some shooters will take that as being lax on serious rules as well.

Other match stuff.

I should have done a better job at telling where and how cover would be called. Folks on my squad used cover excellently. I credit this to them shooting some majors and realizing how cover is called a little better.

I dinged a couple of shooters for moving while reloading. One of them stated that he thought the rulebook said something about the magazine not letting the slide go forward wasn't considered a procedural. I think this is the rule he was thinking about:
    3.9.3. A firearm is deemed loaded when the magazine is fully seated and the slide is fully forward or the revolver cylinder is closed. If the shooter "drops" or "racks" the slide prior to leaving a position of cover, and the slide fails to go fully forward into battery, this shall be considered a malfunction. No penalty shall be assessed.

It's not an issue with the mag not loading, that is an operator problem. What this means is that if you load a mag and hit the release or the slide but the slide doesn't go into battery then it is a gun malfunction. Most of the time you'll see shooters crack the end of the slide to get it forward. No problem with that if it happens.

Another match lesson- once you ding guys for moving while reloading, you better make sure your feet are cemented when you do your reloads LOL

Last edited:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Fair points all TJ.
    The squad sweep guy would have been dq'd (after you folks got up off the ground and I changed my britches) but I didn't see the point as it happened during show clear on his last stage. Really though, it should have still been a dq.
    That is not the only should have that I've messed up.
    Kind of like to go over this stuff after the fact to try and cut back on the should have's and gather other perspectives. Sort of for the same reason that RhinoRoach added helicopter coordinates to our info at hand (which I forgot to check out Saturday, really really cool idea & follow through though), you can't make things too good on the not getting hurt / being ready stuff.

Another thing, saw some turkeys shooting targets taped to our barrels after the match Saturday :ugh:. At rb we were not doing great on range knowledge of the rank and file (reference 2 gun shot wounds in the last 2 or 3 years, and more so on a slew of 'did you see what that guy just dids' ) and now we've added a bunch of new folks, it is kind of a thing to keep an eye on during a match, some folks will do stuff like set their loaded guns down with muzzle pointed across the road.

By the way - notice the banner at the gate Saturday?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Fair points all TJ.
    The squad sweep guy would have been dq'd (after you folks got up off the ground and I changed my britches) but I didn't see the point as it happened during show clear on his last stage. Really though, it should have still been a dq.
    That is not the only should have that I've messed up.
    Kind of like to go over this stuff after the fact to try and cut back on the should have's and gather other perspectives. Sort of for the same reason that RhinoRoach added helicopter coordinates to our info at hand (which I forgot to check out Saturday, really really cool idea & follow through though), you can't make things too good on the not getting hurt / being ready stuff.

Another thing, saw some turkeys shooting targets taped to our barrels after the match Saturday :ugh:. At rb we were not doing great on range knowledge of the rank and file (reference 2 gun shot wounds in the last 2 or 3 years, and more so on a slew of 'did you see what that guy just dids' ) and now we've added a bunch of new folks, it is kind of a thing to keep an eye on during a match, some folks will do stuff like set their loaded guns down with muzzle pointed across the road.

By the way - notice the banner at the gate Saturday?

The banner was very cool. Whoever got that secured should also be president of the world.

I'm curious, at RB and WSSC is there a "welcome, let's review safety rules and here's a list of things you're not going to do here" meeting for membership?

In the interest of full disclosure, I saw some IDPA shooters hit the barrels as well. I don't think it was intentional though:D But the barrels are being torn up to the point that Mike had one reach out and grab him during the house walkthrough.

Forgot to mention that I got swept with a shotgun the moment I got out of my truck Saturday. But so did everyone that was walking by bay 1 to set things up.:facepalm: I don't think the muzzler was an IDPA shooter, but might have been.

Top Bottom