• ...and so much more!
  • looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    +1 for training day!

Re: photos from Saturday; I need to get them to Jay. He wants to put some on the web site. I had a web site of my own a while back but no longer. I'll see about putting them on public folder of my drop box account. Will let you know when they are there and then scarf up whichever ones you want

Picassa, Skydrive, or Google Drive would work as well....all free.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sounds like we've got good interest in doing a training day.

The next question--

"What would you like to see covered on a training day?" (cover pun intended:):)

Movers of different sorts (I would be willing to beg to borrow some from RB).

State of mind (relaxation techniques & etc).

The draw (with vid recording).

Double taps (with vid recording).

Accuracy while prone, kneeling, behind barricade, on the move (scored for future reference & with vids if possible).

Transitions & moving (most efficient means, vids).

Practice routines and drills (leave with knowledge of what has worked for others).

Maybe?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Anybody got he pre-Sellersberg jitters? LOL

Got the 'going camping make the list right' thing going on in my head.

Individually inspect and chamber check all re-loads, double check all equipment (i.e. tighten screws on holster & make sure tacky orange fishing vest is still dirty), have both guns in that magic state of not dirty but not just cleaned either, be ready for rain and cold including a footwear option, disassemble & clean all mags, be ready to replace fiber optic rod in front sight if it goes away during the match, practice draw and reloads and shooting prone in fishing jacket, re-read book - the part about keeping your mind only on the process and ignoring all the other stuff. Have fun with the prep stuff!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Well, I don't have the jitters, but I remember my first major and I certainly had them then:laugh: I'm just aiming to put in a good, consistent performance.

Do you not plan to shoot before Saturday?

Don't forget a back-up gun if you've got it:twocents:

Sadly the next rounds I will be able to fire will be on he first stage at Sellersberg; soccer on Tuesday and Thursday evening and Jennifer has school on Wednesday so I'm pretty well done up until then.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Movers of different sorts (I would be willing to beg to borrow some from RB).

State of mind (relaxation techniques & etc).

The draw (with vid recording).

Double taps (with vid recording).

Accuracy while prone, kneeling, behind barricade, on the move (scored for future reference & with vids if possible).

Transitions & moving (most efficient means, vids).

Practice routines and drills (leave with knowledge of what has worked for others).

Maybe?

Excellent. I think for this first time it would be good to briefly cover a lot of things (especially if we have new shooters show) and if it goes well, maybe have other times where can focus on a few specific things in depth.

make sure tacky orange fishing vest is still dirty

This really is the most important prep for us to make. If we do nothing else at this match, we should walk away with folks being in awe of our various vests.

Sadly the next rounds I will be able to fire will be on he first stage at Sellersberg; soccer on Tuesday and Thursday evening and Jennifer has school on Wednesday so I'm pretty well done up until then.

I know you said you're going to do some family time on Friday, but if you make it out this way with daylight left, you're welcome to put some rounds downrange (or yard:)). I've got a dryfire deal set-up inside also.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Ha, forgot I had Google Drive, thanks! Here's a link, most images should be there. Just a few more to process...
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B55pRAxi0t85ak9JN2dURDhJY3M&usp=sharing

This stuff is just way way cool (fat gut in green shirt and general insecurity issues aside, ok ok will get back on the diet, red holster looks good though).

DD, you and TJ know better on this stuff but I'm thinking they might nail you Sat. for the knee in the behind barrel shot. I would :).
    Am also thinking Jay will start looking at gun during reloads :), that is a neat sequence.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Ha, forgot I had Google Drive, thanks! Here's a link, most images should be there. Just a few more to process...
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B55pRAxi0t85ak9JN2dURDhJY3M&usp=sharing

David, you did a really great job on this pics! And thanks again for doing them!

When you are taking pictures in sequence, does the camera have a thing that automatically takes them or are you running your trigger finger really fast?

Don't know if you'd ever be interested, but there's a lot of opportunity for photographers in the shooting world.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    What an epiphany! I see now the reason for my IDPA success. SOs can't call cover on me because they can't see through all the smoke!

I'm claiming the "Smokiest Load Award":laugh:

DD, you and TJ know better on this stuff but I'm thinking they might nail you Sat. for the knee in the behind barrel shot. I would :).
    Am also thinking Jay will start looking at gun during reloads :), that is a neat sequence.

What are you seeing? Are we out of cover?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    What are you seeing? Are we out of cover?

attachment.php

I'm often wrong but it looks like the knee is sticking out behind the barrel (3.5.2). Not as big of a deal as I thought it was though (5.1.3), I was thinking (wrongly) that you could get multiple procedurals from missing just one cover position.
    At Manchester there were folks that called cover really tight (Brad and Don and several others on my squad got at least one procedural for cover our first match).

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    attachment.php

I'm often wrong but it looks like the knee is sticking out behind the barrel (3.5.2). Not as big of a deal as I thought it was though (5.1.3), I was thinking (wrongly) that you could get multiple procedurals from missing just one cover position.
    At Manchester there were folks that called cover really tight (Brad and Don and several others on my squad got at least one procedural for cover our first match).

Gotcha, and that's a good reminder. Everyone should go into to Saturday expecting different variations of "cover" to be called from the SOs you've shot with here and bay to bay there. Best thing is to just ensure that none of the lower body passes outside of whatever cover you have. That will keep you in good steed from most.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    David, you did a really great job on this pics! And thanks again for doing them!

When you are taking pictures in sequence, does the camera have a thing that automatically takes them or are you running your trigger finger really fast?

Don't know if you'd ever be interested, but there's a lot of opportunity for photographers in the shooting world.

Happy to do it...I'm there anyway right?
    On the sequence stuff, no, I can't slap the trigger that fast, it's all camera. And if I could combine 2 of my favorite past times, i just might 'splode! Maybe we can talk in Sellersburg

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    attachment.php

I felt like I had the knee behind there but it is possible it was just the foot and the knee came with the upper body as I leaned further out. My problem is I can't quite plant the right knee the way I'd do my right foot...I did that I may not get back up again! LOL

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I felt like I had the knee behind there but it is possible it was just the foot and the knee came with the upper body as I leaned further out. My problem is I can't quite plant the right knee the way I'd do my right foot...I did that I may not get back up again! LOL

Not trying to mess with your beeswax either way, just seemed like one of those good to ponder things. If I try to go with left knee down on right side of barrel it feels really unstable with the upper body leaned out. Best approach is to fall on your butt running to the barrel and then go for lowest center of gravity. Or not. Thank heavens that cameras haven't always been out there!!

Wish the course of fire stuff would come out . . . . . . .

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Not trying to mess with your beeswax either way, just seemed like one of those good to ponder things. If I try to go with left knee down on right side of barrel it feels really unstable with the upper body leaned out. Best approach is to fall on your butt running to the barrel and then go for lowest center of gravity. Or not. Thank heavens that cameras haven't always been out there!!

Wish the course of fire stuff would come out . . . . . . .

I think that I might have to revisit my technique since now it the low cover has to be the final shooting position on each COF. It feels better to use the left knee grounded no matter what side I take it on; I could use another surgery on the right one to clean it up again and that may help but now that I can take a knee and then not have to worry too much about having to get up again and proceed to another shooting position that could change things.

Top Bottom