• ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Agreed. :)

On another note, I mentioned this before, but just curious on opinions/facts regarding pistol malfunctions.

Under 8.1.5. Unserviceable Firearm Rule

Any same-division legal replacement firearm may be used.

Meaning that if my CZ poops the bed, I can borrow someones G34/M&P9/XDM 9mm pistol that can be used in X-division and be good to go?
    We were talking a while back about having a backup to our primary plinker and have thought about picking up a 75compact or P01 for a similar carry option in 9mm. That rule seems to read much simpler than i remember it from the old/current rulebook.

I think you've got it!

What I don't know about is what happens with your score on the stage where the pistol malfunctioned (reshoot maybe, don't know) and can people just swap pistols between stages whenever they want to (because of reported concern of a malfunction, or they think they have fixed the initial problem and want to go back to the first gun) etc.. I really need to print the book and put a copy in my library. Not stuff that would concern me at a local match but it would be good to undersatnd the inns and outs.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I think you've got it!

What I don't know about is what happens with your score on the stage where the pistol malfunctioned (reshoot maybe, don't know) and can people just swap pistols between stages whenever they want to (because of reported concern of a malfunction, or they think they have fixed the initial problem and want to go back to the first gun) etc.. I really need to print the book and put a copy in my library. Not stuff that would concern me at a local match but it would be good to undersatnd the inns and outs.

i think you can work on your gun but once you've switched you can't go back.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

If a gun malfunction stops a competitor from finishing a course of fire they will get the best score of the two actions:

1. Stage is scored up to where the gun broke, then points down per target plus FTN= score.
    2. The minimum number of shots required to shoot the stage is multiplied by 3= score.

. Incomplete Stage
    If a shooter has started a stage but cannot finish the stage due to a broken firearm, squib, or personal injury the score will be determined by whichever of the following methods results in the best score.
    If the SO stopped the shooter for a perceived squib, and it turns out not to be a squib the shooter will be given a reshoot. If the SO stopped the shooter for a perceived squib, and it is a squib, the score will be determined by whichever of the following methods results in the best score. If the shooter stopped on his/her own for a perceived squib, then squib or not, the score will be determined by whichever of the following methods results in the best score. A penalty for not shooting the required number of rounds for the stage does not apply to either method.
    Method A: All required shots that were not fired will be scored for points down and failure to neutralize if applicable. These points down, converted to time will be added to the total time, points down and penalties if applicable, up to the last shot taken in the stage.
    Method B: The minimum number of shots required for the stage is multiplied by three (3) seconds for a stage score.

If your primary gun breaks and you go to a secondary, the primary gun may not be used again in the match. Likewise, a gun can only be taken out of a match because it is deemed unserviceable, therefore you can't go back and forth.

Unserviceable Firearm Rule
    In any single match, a shooter must use the same firearm for all stages unless it becomes unserviceable.
    If the shooter determines that the firearm has become unserviceable, he will notify the Safety Officer who will notify the Match Director.
    Once the shooter declares the firearm is unserviceable, it may not be used for the duration of the match.
    The shooter may continue the match at the next start signal. Previous strings may not be re-shot.
    Any same-division legal replacement firearm may be used.
    If the replacement firearm magazines do not allow the same loading capacity as the original firearm, the shooter may adjust the magazine loading to suit the replacement firearm, following the magazine loading rules in Section 8.1.2.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    No, I was just throwing out a random number. I've kinda got this self-sufficiency problem and I actually looked into making one but apparently patterns aren't readily available. My wife's grandma is/was a seamstress for years, maybe I could get her to rustle me up something to work with.

Bass Pro is too far from here to pick up a $25 vest... They have them online for like $35-40.

Your wife knits, I think a nice knitted vest would look awesome on you! :)

I like the tatters and tears showing in SBCman's photo's. Sad to put them out of their misery.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I know the photographer doing those shots is one of the top guys so he would make himself as unobtrusive as possible, but was it distracting any knowing you had a top photographer like Yamil taking those pictures? I follow him on twitter and he seems like a genuine dude and all around pro.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Your wife knits, I think a nice knitted vest would look awesome on you! :)

I like the tatters and tears showing in SBCman's photo's. Sad to put them out of their misery.

I hear ya. The old gal has done good.

I know the photographer doing those shots is one of the top guys so he would make himself as unobtrusive as possible, but was it distracting any knowing you had a top photographer like Yamil taking those pictures? I follow him on twitter and he seems like a genuine dude and all around pro.

I had no idea he was even in the bay until these pictures was published. He's that good.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Good thing I wasn't doing any of that with the finger on the trigger:laugh:

Non-issue with a long pull 5 - 6 pound revolver trigger (and I don't think it could be seen in real time anyway). Pretty neat to have a high speed peak at what is programmed as subconscious activity.
    I'd like to have something similar that shows where I'm at both on the trigger finger and the thumb safety. I do real time dry fire draw-aim-shoot with no ear protection sometimes and it sounds like the thumb safety clicks when it ought to, but it would be a lot better to know for sure.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Non-issue with a long pull 5 - 6 pound revolver trigger (and I don't think it could be seen in real time anyway). Pretty neat to have a high speed peak at what is programmed as subconscious activity.
    I'd like to have something similar that shows where I'm at both on the trigger finger and the thumb safety. I do real time dry fire draw-aim-shoot with no ear protection sometimes and it sounds like the thumb safety clicks when it ought to, but it would be a lot better to know for sure.

Yeah, gotta admit I cringed a bit when I saw Glenn Shelby's similar pic because his gun is a well tuned Wilson Combat 1911 with probably a 1-1.5lb trigger.

It would be helpful to see what's happening with the safety.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I know when I've shot one with a safety it was off as soon as it cleared the holster. Now whether or not that is the proper technique is up in the air but for me it was clearing the holster with the safety coming off as part of the initial draw stroke.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Yeah, I also go safety off pretty much in the middle of draw/clearing holster. Not sure if that's proper etiquette, but it seems the most reliable and logical way to do it. I see a lot of guys with fancy 1911-style guns at our matches and notice them kinda fumble the safety well after they're fully aimed downrange... it looks really slow and clunky to me, almost unnatural.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, I also go safety off pretty much in the middle of draw/clearing holster. Not sure if that's proper etiquette, but it seems the most reliable and logical way to do it. I see a lot of guys with fancy 1911-style guns at our matches and notice them kinda fumble the safety well after they're fully aimed downrange... it looks really slow and clunky to me, almost unnatural.

I think that right there tells on a shooter. You'll know instantly which shooter has practiced their draw and working their safety and which hasn't. I think my draw stroke is still the same where I head thumb's up towards the gun and is in line with taking off the safety whether the pistol has one or not.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In

I've got an HD camcorder that I can put to use for the asking. Glad to do it.

Top Bottom