• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Now we're talkin! Tulsa 2014 or S&W (don't worry, Glock is a sponsor so you won't be completely alienated)

LOL I can't see myself not enjoying it. In fact, it sounds like a good way to arrange more vacations per year and THAT is never a bad thing!

Aren't some of the larger matches invitation only? you had to earn several points in order to attend the S&W match, didn't you? do all larger scale matches work like that or only a specific few? Would I get points for shooting 'that ESR Master?" :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    What kind of goodies do they give out at the majors?

All of them are different. A shooter's pack can include a few gun and competition shooting brochures and magazines (the paper kind, not for the gun:D) some samples of oil, a hat, a shirt, so forth. I think the Kolonel is doing a shirt.

Then comes the prize table. This could be anything from guns to hearing protection to cleaning kits, etc. I hardly ever win anything, but this year I managed to snag a shirt and a Lewis Lead Remover kit.

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    LOL I can't see myself not enjoying it. In fact, it sounds like a good way to arrange more vacations per year and THAT is never a bad thing!

Aren't some of the larger matches invitation only? you had to earn several points in order to attend the S&W match, didn't you? do all larger scale matches work like that or only a specific few? Would I get points for shooting 'that ESR Master?" :D

The S&W match is kind of invite only. The catch is how they select you to get in that first time. There is a huge waitlist and for the most part it just goes by order but some got moved over others. The "invite" part is that if you make it into the match once you get 4 years of priority registration to the match.

The outdoor nationals is what works on points, which I don't think would have been an issue this year since there was still slots left.

Outside of those two the rest of them just require that you register and pay to get in.

As for shooting with that "ESR Master" they might actual deduct points:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    As for shooting with that "ESR Master" they might actual deduct points:laugh:

There is always a danger when name dropping! LOL

My wife has already said if I like the Sellersberg match that they are coming with me and will pick up a hotel for the weekend next year :D If we could keep it in a decent enough radius we could definitely make a mini-vaca out of it...which would make it way easier to convince the family unit that I need to go shooting in Tennessee or Oklahoma!

I rarely win anything either so you will be in good company. Although my son seems to have inherited whatever luck I don't have. He entered in a drawing at his school's picnic last night and won a free pizza and a dozen donuts from Casey's General Store! You'd have thought he won the keys to the city :D Maybe I should bring him along and some of his luck might rub off on us!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    There is always a danger when name dropping! LOL

My wife has already said if I like the Sellersberg match that they are coming with me and will pick up a hotel for the weekend next year :D If we could keep it in a decent enough radius we could definitely make a mini-vaca out of it...which would make it way easier to convince the family unit that I need to go shooting in Tennessee or Oklahoma!

I rarely win anything either so you will be in good company. Although my son seems to have inherited whatever luck I don't have. He entered in a drawing at his school's picnic last night and won a free pizza and a dozen donuts from Casey's General Store! You'd have thought he won the keys to the city :D Maybe I should bring him along and some of his luck might rub off on us!

LOL definitely bring him!:laugh:

Making a vacation out of a match is a great idea. My wife went with me to S&W and Tulsa and we had a good time at both places. The key is to let them get some shopping in;) I haven't been brave enough to haul the 3 minions to these matches. But next year one of the three will be shooting, the second one the year after and the last one the year after that. So, we'll all be together and my match fees will exceed $700:laugh:

There's a couple of matches that make for good family time around us. At Sellersberg you've got Clarksville/New Albany/Louisville and all their attractions (read: Bass Pro). In Manchester there's not much unless you push east towards Manchester or back west to Nashville. The MO match is close to St. Louis (baseball). And the match at Altanta is close to the children's museum and so forth in Indy. All of these matches are within 3-4 hours.

Going to a national match puts you across a few states and you can do just about whatever you want.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Jennifer has pretty much stated that if we can get a good hotel/condo that has a nice pool she is good to go no matter how long I'll be at the range. James still has a bit to go before he can join us out there but I'm pretty sure he will eventually be there with us!

The MO match would be awesome since there is almost no end to stuff to do over there. Between the zoo and a baseball game plus there is a Cabela's up in Hazelwood they would be right at home there, too.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Jennifer has pretty much stated that if we can get a good hotel/condo that has a nice pool she is good to go no matter how long I'll be at the range. James still has a bit to go before he can join us out there but I'm pretty sure he will eventually be there with us!

The MO match would be awesome since there is almost no end to stuff to do over there. Between the zoo and a baseball game plus there is a Cabela's up in Hazelwood they would be right at home there, too.

Not to mention, the MO match is one of the best matches around, in my opinion. Fantastic COFs and staff and an incredible range. Plus, their state match sponors the "Backstoppers" which is a group that helps families of police, medics and firefighters that have passed away. Can't go wrong with it. My prelimary plans for next year right now are to shoot the big 3 (S&W, US Nats and Carolina Cup) plus another major. MO is at the top of the list for that other major.

I shot the match on Friday and all of us on the Friday schedule shot around 1:00, I think. Just an option if you wanted to shoot the match then have Saturday to do whatever. You could even come back Saturday to pick up your plaque:laugh:

You're probably around an hour closer to Arnold, MO (very close to St. Louis) than I am. All the better!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Mike, I wanted to prepare you for this when you see me next. I had to retire the vest.

It was a great vest, full of awesomeness and history. It served me faithfully in matches large and small and across 7 states.

She kept up the good fight, even when the inner liner started ripping out. She didn't flinch when I used ductape over a pocket hole. But when the mesh back literally fell out, I took that as her sign that it was alright to move on.

All good things....:(

My new vest was secured at the Sprinfield Bass Pro Shop. It was a toss-up between this vest and a 511 vest. The 511 vest went for $95, the Redhead for $25. Staying true to my cheap self, you know which one I went with. It's not nearly as cool as the black vest, but it will do.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Mike, I wanted to prepare you for this when you see me next. I had to retire the vest.

It was a great vest, full of awesomeness and history. It served me faithfully in matches large and small and across 7 states.

She kept up the good fight, even when the inner liner started ripping out. She didn't flinch when I used ductape over a pocket hole. But when the mesh back literally fell out, I took that as her sign that it was alright to move on.

All good things....:(

My new vest was secured at the Sprinfield Bass Pro Shop. It was a toss-up between this vest and a 511 vest. The 511 vest went for $95, the Redhead for $25. Staying true to my cheap self, you know which one I went with. It's not nearly as cool as the black vest, but it will do.

I hate to hear it had to be put out to pasture but it is awesome to think that it got to travel far and wide and see that matches that it did! I have my tan version of that at home and I might just have to break it out in honor of The Great Black Vest after the Sellersberg match :D I'm glad you used it, enjoyed it and showed it a good time!

I had the same conversation with myself at the Nashville Bass Pro... 5.11 vest or Redhead...Hmmm... I like 5.11 stuff and own a bit of it, but for what that vest could be put through, i was Redhead all the way especially for the price!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I hate to hear it had to be put out to pasture but it is awesome to think that it got to travel far and wide and see that matches that it did! I have my tan version of that at home and I might just have to break it out in honor of The Great Black Vest after the Sellersberg match :D I'm glad you used it, enjoyed it and showed it a good time!

I had the same conversation with myself at the Nashville Bass Pro... 5.11 vest or Redhead...Hmmm... I like 5.11 stuff and own a bit of it, but for what that vest could be put through, i was Redhead all the way especially for the price!

Tell you what, after Sellersberg I'll bring the black vest of awesomeness out while you wear the tan. It will be a fitting tribute to it at the end of the year.

Brings a tear to me eye already:(

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Tell you what, after Sellersberg I'll bring the black vest of awesomeness out while you wear the tan. It will be a fitting tribute to it at the end of the year.

Brings a tear to me eye already:(

We will do it! Give it a most proper and fitting send off!

You almost need to document it's travels and then send a pic of it to the manufacturer. I would guarantee you that they have never had their vests see that much action!

Last edited:

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm still debating picking up a relatively cheap vest somewhere or just stick with the hawaiian shirts. I wear those pretty regularly outside of work and I think a black long john shirt underneath when it gets cold would work well. I just have a hard time with the idea of choking down $75+ for something that looks like I could make it for about $10 in materials. :laugh:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    We will do it! Give it a most proper and fitting send off!

You almost need to document it's travels and then send a pic of it to the manufacturer. I would guarantee you that they have never had their vests see that much action!

Now that's an idea! I might just do that.

I'm still debating picking up a relatively cheap vest somewhere or just stick with the hawaiian shirts. I wear those pretty regularly outside of work and I think a black long john shirt underneath when it gets cold would work well. I just have a hard time with the idea of choking down $75+ for something that looks like I could make it for about $10 in materials. :laugh:

Serious question- can you make them? I would love to have a vest made from the stuff Carhart makes their stuff from. Everything they make has an insulated liner, but without it, it could be the ultimate IDPA vest.

Until then, Bass Pro Shop, Redhead lightweight vest. 25 bones.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    They high-end vests are nice but the ones from Army Surplus have too many pockets. The Redhead from BP is just about right. Cabela's as a few, too. This would be the time of the year to grab one with the transition to winter gear coming they are probably anxious to get their stuff out the door.

I rarely wear my vest but I do wear it. I saw the coolest concealment garment ever in an IDPA magazine. A guy had gotten a nice pinstripe baseball jersey and then had his gun brand as his name across the back and the caliber as his number LOL I have a pretty cool Cardinal vest I'll wear but that BP best TJ is talking about is about as good as it can get for the price.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    No, I was just throwing out a random number. I've kinda got this self-sufficiency problem and I actually looked into making one but apparently patterns aren't readily available. My wife's grandma is/was a seamstress for years, maybe I could get her to rustle me up something to work with.

Bass Pro is too far from here to pick up a $25 vest... They have them online for like $35-40.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I saw the coolest concealment garment ever in an IDPA magazine. A guy had gotten a nice pinstripe baseball jersey and then had his gun brand as his name across the back and the caliber as his number LOL I have a pretty cool Cardinal vest I'll wear but that BP best TJ is talking about is about as good as it can get for the price.

I am seriously considering having "bottom feeder" embroidered on the back of my vest

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No, I was just throwing out a random number. I've kinda got this self-sufficiency problem and I actually looked into making one but apparently patterns aren't readily available. My wife's grandma is/was a seamstress for years, maybe I could get her to rustle me up something to work with.

Bass Pro is too far from here to pick up a $25 vest... They have them online for like $35-40.

I'm thinking Goodwill Store for this one. Maybe something Blues Brothers ish even. If there is a better place to go frugal than the stupid fishing vests I ain't seen it so far.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    I'm thinking Goodwill Store for this one. Maybe something Blues Brothers ish even. If there is a better place to go frugal than the stupid fishing vests I ain't seen it so far.

Agreed. :)

On another note, I mentioned this before, but just curious on opinions/facts regarding pistol malfunctions.

Under 8.1.5. Unserviceable Firearm Rule

Any same-division legal replacement firearm may be used.

Meaning that if my CZ poops the bed, I can borrow someones G34/M&P9/XDM 9mm pistol that can be used in X-division and be good to go?
    We were talking a while back about having a backup to our primary plinker and have thought about picking up a 75compact or P01 for a similar carry option in 9mm. That rule seems to read much simpler than i remember it from the old/current rulebook.

Top Bottom