• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    "The Series 80 has been a prohibited modification for many years as it is defined by many firearm manufacturers as a safety. Many shooters looked to remove these parts under the “trigger improvement” clause of allowable modifications. However, removing the Series 80 parts to improve trigger pull is defined as removing/disabling the safety. IDPA did rule that replacing the entire Series 80 slide with a slide that has no provision for the Series 80 safety parts to be installed is allowable and does not constitute “removing/disabling a safety device”."

Or just buy a gun (Baers & STI's I think) that does not use them.
    In order to keep guns affordable IDPA makes you buy a lot of parts.

Good stuff about the weight & box fit!! "IDPA Legal" on the sales website don't always turn out to be so.
    I want to remember to check RB's wood box with a ruler, inexact wood construction plus many years in the shed may not be the best recipe for precise dimensions.

Good info, thanks for the enlightenment.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Make sure you're gun fits the box, especially if you're using a 1911/2011 with a magwell. Nils Jonassen took a trip to Dairy Queen at nats because his didn't. Also check for weight if you can.

Another high ranking competitor was sent home at nats for not having "series 80 safeties" in his gun. I have no idea what that is, but evidently the guy at the equip check did. Just make sure your gun has the safeties from the factory and that they work. I saw a teen shooter get sent home at S&W because her 1911 safeties didn't work. Evidently the gun was new but had been "checked out" by a gunsmith. You should have heard the father's phone call to that smith right there on the spot.

Seems like there is a level of uptightednessness that you can find at bigger matches sometimes that really can suck all of the joy right out of shooting.

When I went to the Sparta Il. match it seemed like there was a heightened sense of worry from the officiating crew and a level of performance anxiety from some of the shooters that made things a whole lot less fun than what you find at any of the local matches (and this was before my DQ even). Lots of expense, lots less fun.

The Manchester Tenn officiating folks and the other shooters on my squad seemed like they could do a major match well but still maintain the atmosphere that this is a fun hobby, maybe this comes from them having a lot of experience. I'm hoping that Sellersburgh falls into the 'first safe - then fun - last hoity toity' category. Maybe what I'm trying to get at is that I hope it ain't one of those deals where things that don't really matter are taken extremely seriously.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    With the new rulebook taking effect here in a few days and then it being just a few short days after, it could make for some interesting competition there.

Problem I am having is that I feel like I should have some sort of game plan going into this. I'm getting a bit nervous but I am very thankful for the squad that I am in. It is almost going to be like shooting at home with Jeff, Brent, Brad, Don and Matt being there. Heck, half the crowd is my normal shooting squad minus TJ LOL so that might help us n00bz at this whole Major Match thing.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Seems like there is a level of uptightednessness that you can find at bigger matches sometimes that really can suck all of the joy right out of shooting.

When I went to the Sparta Il. match it seemed like there was a heightened sense of worry from the officiating crew and a level of performance anxiety from some of the shooters that made things a whole lot less fun than what you find at any of the local matches (and this was before my DQ even). Lots of expense, lots less fun.

The Manchester Tenn officiating folks and the other shooters on my squad seemed like they could do a major match well but still maintain the atmosphere that this is a fun hobby, maybe this comes from them having a lot of experience. I'm hoping that Sellersburgh falls into the 'first safe - then fun - last hoity toity' category. Maybe what I'm trying to get at is that I hope it ain't one of those deals where things that don't really matter are taken extremely seriously.

Agreed, it can make a huge difference in the level of match enjoyment and match performance. I predict there will be a level of chicken-with-head-cut-offedness at Sellersberg, simply because this is their first major. They will want everything to go right and smooth, and sometimes that leads to the exact opposite happening. Nevertheless, I know several of the staff and SOs working this match. The ones I know are cool folks and easy going. They also know their stuff and I expect we will all get very fair and accomodating treatment.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    With the new rulebook taking effect here in a few days and then it being just a few short days after, it could make for some interesting competition there.

Problem I am having is that I feel like I should have some sort of game plan going into this. I'm getting a bit nervous but I am very thankful for the squad that I am in. It is almost going to be like shooting at home with Jeff, Brent, Brad, Don and Matt being there. Heck, half the crowd is my normal shooting squad minus TJ LOL so that might help us n00bz at this whole Major Match thing.

What specifically are you nervous about?

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Don't know about DDawg, I keep having the dream where I'm on deck and then notice that I don't have any pants on.

I have the same dream... on deck and Grelber doesn't have his pants on.... talk about needing mental floss! :D

Part of the nerves I have is a good thing, just anxious for it to get there; simply cannot wait. The other half is not knowing what to expect and that if I can genuinely run the the others in my Class/Division since this is my first non-RB or WSSC match. The real attitude is to take each COF as it comes. Go fast when you can, be accurate when you can and let the chips fall where they may.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have the same dream... on deck and Grelber doesn't have his pants on.... talk about needing mental floss! :D

Part of the nerves I have is a good thing, just anxious for it to get there; simply cannot wait. The other half is not knowing what to expect and that if I can genuinely run the the others in my Class/Division since this is my first non-RB or WSSC match. The real attitude is to take each COF as it comes. Go fast when you can, be accurate when you can and let the chips fall where they may.

You know, I've had a pretty decent IDPA career in the 2 years I've been shooting it. I think if I was on deck and saw Grelber pantless I'd just call the career good and move on to something else like watching grass grow or pouring bleach in my eyes.

Gotcha on the nerves. Remember that nervous feeling you got the first time you came to the line at an IDPA match? It will be back:laugh:

I think the biggest mistake I see people make at their first major is trying to shoot according to speed and not vision. That kind of thing will sink you quick. A major match is really like any other IDPA match except that it costs 6 times more and you might go home with more than you came. Run your race and you'll be in good shape. That's really all a shooter can do anyway.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Yeah, the bleach in the eyes thing has crossed my mind more than once :D

Last WSSC match was a bit of an eye opener for me. I've been shooting better since switching to the 9mm and then changing sights. Pretty sure it isn't all to do with just one of those things but both together really has helped. But, I took just a bit off of the speed and ended up shooting one of my best matches. The RB match before I was having problems finding the front sight (it wasn't because I couldn't see it, it was because I wasn't using it) and it really told on me. Like you said, I just have to shoot what I can however I can and let it go. As long as I can come home and have had a great time I will be happy. Anything else would be icing on the cake!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    You know, I've had a pretty decent IDPA career in the 2 years I've been shooting it. I think if I was on deck and saw Grelber pantless I'd just call the career good and move on to something else like watching grass grow or pouring bleach in my eyes.

Gotcha on the nerves. Remember that nervous feeling you got the first time you came to the line at an IDPA match? It will be back:laugh:

I think the biggest mistake I see people make at their first major is trying to shoot according to speed and not vision. That kind of thing will sink you quick. A major match is really like any other IDPA match except that it costs 6 times more and you might go home with more than you came. Run your race and you'll be in good shape. That's really all a shooter can do anyway.

Yea yea yea, and if it weren't for the attack of the bobbing yellow man breasts I might have gotten under 110 at the last classifier.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Yeah, the bleach in the eyes thing has crossed my mind more than once :D

Last WSSC match was a bit of an eye opener for me. I've been shooting better since switching to the 9mm and then changing sights. Pretty sure it isn't all to do with just one of those things but both together really has helped. But, I took just a bit off of the speed and ended up shooting one of my best matches. The RB match before I was having problems finding the front sight (it wasn't because I couldn't see it, it was because I wasn't using it) and it really told on me. Like you said, I just have to shoot what I can however I can and let it go. As long as I can come home and have had a great time I will be happy. Anything else would be icing on the cake!

Good attitude! By the way, you would have loved nats. I was squadded with 2 CDP/DMs, one of which, Glenn Shelby, won the division there. Kind of interesting but he was running a leather holster and leather mag pouches- well used, as in ex-police supply from the 70s used. I thought that was interesting.

Thing is, Shelby nor any of the other top guys "look" very fast when they're shooting. They certainly don't double tap any targets either. They are just incredibly efficient getting into and out of positions and they shoot very clean, only at what they see and know to be a good shot. I think Glenn only went down 25-30 seconds (50-60 points) over the whole 17 course match and that makes a huge difference when running towards the top. It was a pleasure to learn from watching them and I hope to incorporate more of that style in my own shooting.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Or at a minor or even when I'm just practicing.

Hmmm, could be telling me that I need to dry fire more.

I made a huge mistake after the WSSC classifier with my dryfire practice. Since I got a timer I really started wondering just what I could do in dryfire and really sped things up- way past my actual realm of reality in shooting. Anderson warns of this stuff and I should have listened to him. Next match after that it showed, big time. Hard lesson to learn but I had and am still trying to get back to shooting according to vision.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good attitude! By the way, you would have loved nats. I was squadded with 2 CDP/DMs, one of which, Glenn Shelby, won the division there. Kind of interesting but he was running a leather holster and leather mag pouches- well used, as in ex-police supply from the 70s used. I thought that was interesting.

Thing is, Shelby nor any of the other top guys "look" very fast when they're shooting. They certainly don't double tap any targets either. They are just incredibly efficient getting into and out of positions and they shoot very clean, only at what they see and know to be a good shot. I think Glenn only went down 25-30 seconds (50-60 points) over the whole 17 course match and that makes a huge difference when running towards the top. It was a pleasure to learn from watching them and I hope to incorporate more of that style in my own shooting.

Somebody said that you can be very fast at shooting doing things other than shooting. Moving, drawing, reloading...lots of things that can cut time off your score other than just pulling the trigger faster!

i would love to have been there! Maybe I start to like this major match thing and I'll start to work towards going !

Last edited:
    Top Bottom