• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhinoroach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Evansville
    Congrats TJ. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

The wife and I made it back from Tulsa and man am I glad nationals is over! Not the best of times. No need to get into it here- won my class, lost the division, spanked Miculek on a course or two, ate out a lot and burned a bunch of fuel. I would show you my trophy, but, ooopps, IDPA forgot to order one. Nothing better than great organization at its largest match:rolleyes:

It did make me appreciate quality smaller majors and local matches who work hard to keep things legal and legit. Looking forward for several of them to coming up in October, including the Kolonel!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I read an article somebody posted saying something about the legality of stages down there.

Glad you and the wife had a good trip down and back...can't wait to hear all about it!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Congrats TJ!

I was just read some stage descriptions... how was the cookies for prisoners stage? :laugh:

Do you really want to know?

It was the hardest IDPA stage I've ever shot. The array of prisoners you see in the stage diagram was sit back at around 18 yards or so behind STEEL bars. Besides having to make 18 yard shots off your knees, you had to make sure you weaved the bullet in-between the bars. It really was a great stage concept. At the beginning of the stage the SO informed us that even if a bullet hit the bars, he was just looking for any size holes in the targets with grease rings. That was cool with me.

But I think he should have clarified that was the deal for all except ESR Masters. After I shot we went down to check things out and there was one target that had a small hole with a grease ring in the head and one in the body -0. The score on this particular target was -5.:dunno: Then there was a non-threat that had some miniscule hole in it without a grease ring, and I got awarded the hit on the non-threat:dunno: Several shooters before me had been launching a -3 and a -1 into the same target but was getting a -2 call for it instead of -4. I threw a line breaker into that target and a -1 and got awarded -4.

To top it all off, the scoring SO says to me "sir, I'm just not seeing the hits and I'm not allowed to touch the targets":scratch::scratch:I guess I should have inquired more about this issue as somewhere on this stage unbeknownst to me I merited a FTN.

Man I'm glad that match is over.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Do you really want to know?

It was the hardest IDPA stage I've ever shot. The array of prisoners you see in the stage diagram was sit back at around 18 yards or so behind STEEL bars. Besides having to make 18 yard shots off your knees, you had to make sure you weaved the bullet in-between the bars. It really was a great stage concept. At the beginning of the stage the SO informed us that even if a bullet hit the bars, he was just looking for any size holes in the targets with grease rings. That was cool with me.

But I think he should have clarified that was the deal for all except ESR Masters. After I shot we went down to check things out and there was one target that had a small hole with a grease ring in the head and one in the body -0. The score on this particular target was -5.:dunno: Then there was a non-threat that had some miniscule hole in it without a grease ring, and I got awarded the hit on the non-threat:dunno: Several shooters before me had been launching a -3 and a -1 into the same target but was getting a -2 call for it instead of -4. I threw a line breaker into that target and a -1 and got awarded -4.

To top it all off, the scoring SO says to me "sir, I'm just not seeing the hits and I'm not allowed to touch the targets":scratch::scratch:I guess I should have inquired more about this issue as somewhere on this stage unbeknownst to me I merited a FTN.

Man I'm glad that match is over.

Nice... I've only picked up on two accounts and one had a glowing report on the officiating, but I feel that they know what side their bread is buttered and have a vested interest in saying everything was A-OK.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Kolonel and a bit nervous about it. I just have to get into my head that I can actually shoot each stage with varying speeds instead of just be on the gas the entire time and hope for the best LOL

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Nice... I've only picked up on two accounts and one had a glowing report on the officiating, but I feel that they know what side their bread is buttered and have a vested interest in saying everything was A-OK.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Kolonel and a bit nervous about it. I just have to get into my head that I can actually shoot each stage with varying speeds instead of just be on the gas the entire time and hope for the best LOL

Some of the officiating was fantastic, others not so much. On one stage a well known IDPA guru stood about 12 feet behind me and mid-course murmured something that sounded to me like "stop". So, I did, turned to see what was up and he murmurs again "cover". Burnt several seconds on that deal. There was some other stuff on a few stages that I didn't/couldn't see or understand that nailed more time to me. I also got introduced as "that ESR Master" here and there and have no idea why that was happening.

There's always going to be calls you disagree with at majors. It's generally not worth the energy to dispute it unless it is very clear cut. We all know what it is to SO and get tired. At nats though, when there's several SOs on every stage it shouldn't be a factor and on many stages it wasn't. I guess they all did the best they could dealing with stages that weren't completely legit. This did not help moral at the match as many match directors and area coordinators who work hard to keep things legal were basically told "it's nats, we can do what we want."

Ultimately though I underperformed much of the match and the questionable calls on some stages didn't help. I think I had one stage win with Jerry and taking him out I had a few more. It really should have been about half the match even with Jerry.

The lack of trophy was just the icing on the cake. Thankfully, I ate with Massod Ayoob on Saturday night and his handshake coupled with that deep voice saying "congratulations" made it better. :laugh:

My squad was great to shoot with. Caleb was there wheelgunning with me and it was a joy to hang out with Glenn Shelby (CDP Division Champ) and the rest of the Wilson Combat crew. The high international shooter and most accurate of the match was also on my squad. Great group of shooters.

As for the Kolonel, I am looking forward to it as well. Try to just let it happen and it will all come together.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    SO's/scoring screw not allowed to touch the targets? Is that some new rule I've never heard of? :dunno:

Anyway, it's nice to have some insight on the whole large-scale shebang. I also read one blog that essentially said the officiating/scoring was outstanding, but I'd have to take it with a grain of salt as that's pretty much a personal viewpoint-based judgement.

For the next two local outings before Sellersburg, I will refer to you as "that ESR Master". :laugh:

Thankfully, I ate with Massod Ayoob on Saturday night and his handshake coupled with that deep voice saying "congratulations" made it better.
    ^^^ This is amazing. :D

Last edited:

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    SO's/scoring screw not allowed to touch the targets? Is that some new rule I've never heard of? :dunno:

Anyway, it's nice to have some insight on the whole large-scale shebang. I also read one blog that essentially said the officiating/scoring was outstanding, but I'd have to take it with a grain of salt as that's pretty much a personal viewpoint-based judgement.

For the next two local outings before Sellersburg, I will refer to you as "that ESR Master". :laugh:

^^^ This is amazing. :D

The touching targets thing...I don't know where that come from. Other SO did a lot of coonfingering of targets, so I don't know what he meant.

As to the officiating, I think compared to previous nationals it was outstanding. I wasn't at the previous ones, so I don't know, but I do know a lot of folks where impressed with this year compared to other years. Although I'm highlighting some of the not so good officiating, much of the match was well officiated and the SOs were totally on their game.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    The touching targets thing...I don't know where that come from. Other SO did a lot of coonfingering of targets, so I don't know what he meant.

As to the officiating, I think compared to previous nationals it was outstanding. I wasn't at the previous ones, so I don't know, but I do know a lot of folks where impressed with this year compared to other years. Although I'm highlighting some of the not so good officiating, much of the match was well officiated and the SOs were totally on their game.

I don't know any details of the stage legalities that have been mentioned, but it makes me wonder, did/could that have had much relevance on the weird/inconsistent scoring?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I don't know any details of the stage legalities that have been mentioned, but it makes me wonder, did/could that have had much relevance on the weird/inconsistent scoring?

Yes, particularly on stages where the maximum movement of 10 yards was broken. Older/Fatter/Less-Athletic types just can't keep up. Granted, we're only talking a few seconds but in a 17 stage match it adds up.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Do you figure the Scoring SO that referenced the 'No Touchy' rule is confusing the actual rule of the shooter not being able to touch targets before they are scored?

Pretty cool to have met Mas! I'm officially jealous! Sounds like a great experience overall even if you had to factor in some of the rough stuff. Again, local Tier 1 stuff can get away with a few things but when you are shooting at THE BIG ONE, man you have to be consistent...or at least be consistently wrong all across the board.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Pretty cool to have met Mas!

Mas is exactly as you'd imagine him- cool- as long as you're cool. Mas brought another gun writer with him to the supper and that writer won the "High Press" award. And as the table is enjoying everything, some other gun writer comes to the table unwelcomed. He was ticked that he didn't win that trophy and started going on and on with the guy who did. We all grew tired of it quickly. The dude got a bit into Mas' personal space during the bloviating and Mas simply threw him the eye of death. It was awesome. I fully expected the guy to get punched in the throat, but the "eye" was all that was needed. Dude got out of there quick.

Kind of like dining with Chuck Norris---only cooler. After the eye of death, Mas stepped out for a smoke :pimp:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Mas is exactly as you'd imagine him- cool- as long as you're cool. Mas brought another gun writer with him to the supper and that writer won the "High Press" award. And as the table is enjoying everything, some other gun writer comes to the table unwelcomed. He was ticked that he didn't win that trophy and started going on and on with the guy who did. We all grew tired of it quickly. The dude got a bit into Mas' personal space during the bloviating and Mas simply threw him the eye of death. It was awesome. I fully expected the guy to get punched in the throat, but the "eye" was all that was needed. Dude got out of there quick.

Kind of like dining with Chuck Norris---only cooler. After the eye of death, Mas stepped out for a smoke :pimp:

LOL I've read several Mas books and seen some interviews...he is somebody I'd like the chance to meet. Sounds awesome!

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hey guys, just wanted to throw this out in case you're heading for the Kolonel.

Make sure you're gun fits the box, especially if you're using a 1911/2011 with a magwell. Nils Jonassen took a trip to Dairy Queen at nats because his didn't. Also check for weight if you can.

Another high ranking competitor was sent home at nats for not having "series 80 safeties" in his gun. I have no idea what that is, but evidently the guy at the equip check did. Just make sure your gun has the safeties from the factory and that they work. I saw a teen shooter get sent home at S&W because her 1911 safeties didn't work. Evidently the gun was new but had been "checked out" by a gunsmith. You should have heard the father's phone call to that smith right there on the spot.

I know RB has a box and WSSC might too. I'm sure Scott or someone would let you check it if you asked. Or, you can always shoot revo and get out of that drama altogether:)

If anybody wants to, I can bring my chrony to the WSSC match. Won't be at the RB match due to the IN State Match.

As for me, time to start studying the new rulebook in earnest. Blah.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Make sure you're gun fits the box, especially if you're using a 1911/2011 with a magwell. Nils Jonassen took a trip to Dairy Queen at nats because his didn't. Also check for weight if you can.

Another high ranking competitor was sent home at nats for not having "series 80 safeties" in his gun. I have no idea what that is, but evidently the guy at the equip check did. Just make sure your gun has the safeties from the factory and that they work. I saw a teen shooter get sent home at S&W because her 1911 safeties didn't work. Evidently the gun was new but had been "checked out" by a gunsmith. You should have heard the father's phone call to that smith right there on the spot.

I know RB has a box and WSSC might too. I'm sure Scott or someone would let you check it if you asked. Or, you can always shoot revo and get out of that drama altogether:)

If anybody wants to, I can bring my chrony to the WSSC match. Won't be at the RB match due to the IN State Match.

As for me, time to start studying the new rulebook in earnest. Blah.

"The Series 80 has been a prohibited modification for many years as it is defined by many firearm manufacturers as a safety. Many shooters looked to remove these parts under the “trigger improvement” clause of allowable modifications. However, removing the Series 80 parts to improve trigger pull is defined as removing/disabling the safety. IDPA did rule that replacing the entire Series 80 slide with a slide that has no provision for the Series 80 safety parts to be installed is allowable and does not constitute “removing/disabling a safety device”."

Or just buy a gun (Baers & STI's I think) that does not use them.
    In order to keep guns affordable IDPA makes you buy a lot of parts.

Good stuff about the weight & box fit!! "IDPA Legal" on the sales website don't always turn out to be so.
    I want to remember to check RB's wood box with a ruler, inexact wood construction plus many years in the shed may not be the best recipe for precise dimensions.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Off the subject but good to know I think.

One of the local USPSA guys shipped a very expensive gun and did not pay for insurance. The gun box arrived but the gun was not in it.

If you ship a gun UPS out of the Evansville hub, and tell them it is a handgun like you are supposed to, they will ask you if there is ammo in the gun and after you leave they will open things up and verify that there is no ammo in the gun. Does not hurt anything I suppose, but I don't favor the third party handling and etc..

Top Bottom