• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I don't know if I'll be at RB Saturday or not. If I am I'll be glad to "safety check" folks with that which I've found to be most common at nats and smaller majors. If I'm not there, here's the big ones you'll get checked for:

Weapon:
    Gun Weight and Size
    Makes sure every safety works on the gun

Concealment:
    Nobody cares about the vest, just make sure it covers your gear and there's no obviously added "gamer" pockets

Gear:
    Guns need to clearly have the trigger at the midline of the body. The seam of the pants is not the midline, but I can guarantee that is where the SO will look to see if placement is right. Just put most of the holster (3/4) is behind the same of the pants and you'll be good to go.

Mag must be behind the centerline, which for safety check purposes will be the seam line of the pants.

Grab something 3/4" thick and see if it can touch the body and the mags or gun. If it can't, get a new system, tighten belt or gain weight.

Check the rulebook for coverage on mag holsters and gun, holster must cover trigger guard and not fall below the chamber.

Ammo: Just make sure you're running pf to your division.

SOME ADVICE:

Don't get too worked up about the safety check or chrono. More than likely if you gun is illegal somebody would have mentioned something about it at a local match. Do make sure everything works on the gun as it should. Do make sure everything is on your belt in such a way that you won't have to change it mid-match. For chrono, give yourself a GENEROUS pf and you'll probably be alright. The loads I march into nats with and Sellersberg are hitting 177pf, 12pf over my division requirement. Chronos are not an exact science and pf changes will small variations in fps.

Also, safety checks very from match to match. At some you'll get full inspection of everything, others a mere glance at your belt and at others a gun being weighed is all. Don't be surprised if there's no chrono.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Speaking of, I was looking at squads for Sellersberg and meant to offer to swap squads with a revolver shooter if you wanted to have some wheel gun company. I think you mentioned you knew several of them but squad 1 is all full up. I'm a newbie and will probably be enthralled with the whole experience no matter what squad I'm on. Happy to make room for them if you like.

Also, wondering if, at this weekend's RB match, I could get an SO to give my gear the once over to ensure it is IDPA legal, e.g. pistol not too far away from the body, vest is legit, etc... Hate to go all that way and not be able to get in the door!

There is a match this w.e., right? Haven't seen an email come through

I think he who must be obeyed is circling wagons to get a round count before putting out the match reminder, or something like that.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I am so ready for Saturday. I think all my gear is GTG. The Comptac for the G34 is a bit longer but I've done the vest check and it covers everything so I think I'm ok with that. Will double-check my PF thanks to Brent at RB; I lowed my powder drop just a tad and it groups even better than last time...I was hitting something like 1235 fps with a 124 grain bullet. that put me at 153PF so I backed of .5 grains and it grouped nicely so I'll see where I am with that. I hit over 135PF and I'm not going to mess with it until after Sellersberg.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Putting out the reminder anyway. Tittilating rumors abound about the shotgun side match.

That's my dilemma. I was thinking of going up to Sellersberg (who has got their email out- 6 stages minimum 108 rounds- designed by a wheelgunner) but I'd like to run the sidematch. Decisions, decisions.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    That's my dilemma. I was thinking of going up to Sellersberg (who has got their email out- 6 stages minimum 108 rounds- designed by a wheelgunner) but I'd like to run the sidematch. Decisions, decisions.

I haven't shot a side-match in ages...not sure I even remember how to run my shotgun :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I haven't shot a side-match in ages...not sure I even remember how to run my shotgun :D

Makes it all the more entertaining....well, gotta say your shotgun runs are always entertaining:laugh:

Not quite as good as Trockman's though. I don't think a man has ever truly laughed until he's seen all 12 rounds on a side saddle go flying off at the first shot....and Trockman's commentary all through the rest of the stage:lmfao:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Makes it all the more entertaining....well, gotta say your shotgun runs are always entertaining:laugh:

Not quite as good as Trockman's though. I don't think a man has ever truly laughed until he's seen all 12 rounds on a side saddle go flying off at the first shot....and Trockman's commentary all through the rest of the stage:lmfao:

I would have paid good money to have seen that one!

I'm as puzzled as the next guy on what my deal is with shotgun matches. I guess I need not be a cheap-o and buy some factory 12 ga instead of those crappy reloads I did. I actually think I'm out of 12 ga shot ammo and only have buckshot and slugs left. I could stand a clean run, wouldn't even have to finish in the top 10, just a clean run to get my mojo back! :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Word up

Next IDPA match is this Saturday, September 7th. New shooters meeting is at 09:30 and match starts at 10:00. Approx 120 rounds should be all you need. And as always, if you could show up early to help set up, that helps us start on time, and is greatly appreciated.

There will be a shot gun side match this weekend as well; after the match is ran. 17 rounds minimum. Bring you favorite shot gun to see how it (and you) work in a defensive scenario. Please no buck shot, no steel shot and from #4 to #9 bird shot only.

Thanks and hope to see you there.

Steve

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    The Great Cthulhu is running our match this month?

Hahah, I was thinking the same thing about Jeff's comment, and I have no idea why! :laugh:

As far as the holster distance and all that, I thought as long as it wasn't drop/offset (unless female/LEO/military), you'd be golden? I can actually see a bit of light while using my new holster (it is with the paddle, which might make a difference). Mike, you mess with the paddle on yours at all? Kinda weird that it goes on the outside of pants, between pants and belt...

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hahah, I was thinking the same thing about Jeff's comment, and I have no idea why! :laugh:

As far as the holster distance and all that, I thought as long as it wasn't drop/offset (unless female/LEO/military), you'd be golden? I can actually see a bit of light while using my new holster (it is with the paddle, which might make a difference). Mike, you mess with the paddle on yours at all? Kinda weird that it goes on the outside of pants, between pants and belt...

those who know know!

No I haven't messed with it yet but I have it in my range bag just in case.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    As far as the holster distance and all that, I thought as long as it wasn't drop/offset (unless female/LEO/military), you'd be golden?

Was thinking about the 'and all that', part for the Kolonel.

A gear check and a glance at the new rules on the web is a great idea, assuming anyone has any doubt about something in particular. The rules are so new that likely not even TJ has every nuance and interpretation thoroughly fixed to memory, so even though we all will be helping each other as best we can this might be a time to see for yourself as well as ask somebody.

I don't think it is a thing where anyone needs to be paranoid. There won't be any warnings about anything to do with safety, but that is the direction that RB & WSSC have been pointed for a while now & it seems like things have been smooth.

Seems like more stages and time to prepare more challenging stages does create more procedural traps, from what I've seen the key there is just to learn to take your 3 seconds with a smile though.

I'm thinking that all their stages will allow use of the 180 degree rule, and there will not be cones layed out to create a tighter muzzle safe area, but that might be wrong.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Agreed. I haven't got into the new book much at all except to look up things we've talked about here. After nats I'll have a good sit down with it.

Question: Does anyone know the course designer for this RB match? Is it MA Eadens?

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Question: Does anyone know the course designer for this RB match? Is it MA Eadens?

Speculation, Tim the house guy will do the house, Scowens & MA Eadens (are we spozed to address you guys by title now?) & maybe one of the other powers that be will do the pistol stages.
    The shotgun side match will be a premier performance by a young and enthusiastic stage designer.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Speculation, Tim the house guy will do the house, Scowens & MA Eadens (are we spozed to address you guys by title now?) & maybe one of the other powers that be will do the pistol stages.
    The shotgun side match will be a premier performance by a young and enthusiastic stage designer.

Sounds good thanks for the info.

I think the title of MA before the name only applies if you're a 3 division MA. If you make 5 division MA then the name goes "5 Gun Jones" and so forth. Pretty sure this is covered in the new rulebook.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Man! This is a rough crowd looking to negative rep somebody for referencing the best commercial on TV right now :D WOW! LOL

Still $15 match and $5 side I'm assuming. I normally like the shotgun but I haven't been satisfied with my shotgun set up for a long time...need to quit buying/trading pistols and get a legit shotgun set up.

Top Bottom