• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Hope everybody had a good match today at RB. I decided to head over to Silver Creek, mainly to find the place and see how long it took to get there. They had a good 6 COF match. My performance was sub-par and I had a lot of equipment issues, namely ammo problems. But, it's my own fault. I found 100 rounds of 45acp in the safe and thought "hey, what a great way to get rid of this stuff." Now I'm fairly sure I had it in there for the M&P45:laugh: Glad it all fell apart on me at a local match:D

But I did want to share this in case anyone is interested. Next month, I think on the 5th, Silver Creek will be running the classifer AND they will have the Kentuckiana Kolonel chrono set-up in case you want to check your loads. Of course, this won't count as passing the chrono for the match, but it is a rare opportunity to put rounds over the actual major match chrono. Just FYI.

Also, I learned one thing about that range today that folks heading up to the Kolonel might be interested in. I'm thinking we are going to be a low-light until around 9:30am (our time). There is a hill that covers the range with trees, blocking the sun from the east. So, might want to check that front sight in the morning hours and make sure you can pick it up alright.

Frontsight................THAT'S what I forgot to use today!:laugh:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Hope everybody had a good match today at RB. I decided to head over to Silver Creek, mainly to find the place and see how long it took to get there. They had a good 6 COF match. My performance was sub-par and I had a lot of equipment issues, namely ammo problems. But, it's my own fault. I found 100 rounds of 45acp in the safe and thought "hey, what a great way to get rid of this stuff." Now I'm fairly sure I had it in there for the M&P45:laugh: Glad it all fell apart on me at a local match:D

But I did want to share this in case anyone is interested. Next month, I think on the 5th, Silver Creek will be running the classifer AND they will have the Kentuckiana Kolonel chrono set-up in case you want to check your loads. Of course, this won't count as passing the chrono for the match, but it is a rare opportunity to put rounds over the actual major match chrono. Just FYI.

Also, I learned one thing about that range today that folks heading up to the Kolonel might be interested in. I'm thinking we are going to be a low-light until around 9:30am (our time). There is a hill that covers the range with trees, blocking the sun from the east. So, might want to check that front sight in the morning hours and make sure you can pick it up alright.

Frontsight................THAT'S what I forgot to use today!:laugh:

Glad you got that out of the way....I had a Stage 1 like that myself today. It was a disaster but if I can have them now instead of later then I will be all right!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    With the lack of chatter happening on here, I started thinking maybe everyone had a match they would just as soon forget:laugh:

At my age it doesn't matter whether or not I want to forget something.
    Certain people do seem to think I need constant reminders about being DQ'd.
    I thought it was a great match stage wise. My goals were to get a good grip and wait for a sight picture, I only achieved the former but I had fun and it seemed like the other folks did too.
    You will see more chatter after we rest up, certain new course designers have never seen a mongo heavy stage prop that they didn't like.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    We stayed for the shotgun side match. And I was drained. Slept on the ride home and slept almost 10 hours last night.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    We used up most of all of our chatter on the range yesterday. Making sure Grelber didn't forget his $100 DQ.
    Oops, I brought it up again. :)

By the end of the day, we were all pretty well fried.
    I actually for the first time, almost had a full nights sleep before a match, so I managed to actually hit the targets for the most part yesterday.

I did get the advantage of having a 3 time run through one stage where a turning target was refusing to turn.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    We used up most of all of our chatter on the range yesterday. Making sure Grelber didn't forget his $100 DQ.
    Oops, I brought it up again. :)

By the end of the day, we were all pretty well fried.
    I actually for the first time, almost had a full nights sleep before a match, so I managed to actually hit the targets for the most part yesterday.

I did get the advantage of having a 3 time run through one stage where a turning target was refusing to turn.

That lake bay seriously needs some sort of shaded shelter there, either something permanent or RB IDPA should pick up a small tent shelter for there...so hot and no breeze!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    We stayed for the shotgun side match. And I was drained. Slept on the ride home and slept almost 10 hours last night.

I was shot by the end...I wanted to shoot the side match but I'm glad I didn't sign up for it. I had to come home after, get cleaned up and head back into town for my nephew's birthday party and didn't get home until 10pm... Maybe I quit buying pistols and actually work on putting together a good Tac shotgun! LOL

joncor2577

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    I thought it was a great match stage wise. My goals were to get a good grip and wait for a sight picture, I only achieved the former but I had fun and it seemed like the other folks did too.
    You will see more chatter after we rest up, certain new course designers have never seen a mongo heavy stage prop that they didn't like.

Yeah, learned a few things yesterday about courses. Will apply kiss method to future lake bay courses! After the second "portable" door wasnt right that became very apparent. Good times, but man were we beat at the end of the day!

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Visited redbrush range today for the first time. Took my son to the steel shoot. Very nice range and the group we shot with were great. Thanks redbrush
    Brian

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Visited redbrush range today for the first time. Took my son to the steel shoot. Very nice range and the group we shot with were great. Thanks redbrush
    Brian

It is probably obvious to most of you regulars (the smarter ones anyway) that I was in that group.

Brian, great shooting with you & your son. Besides shooting well and having some of the coolest toys (I didn't know compensated guns under a tin roof would be that loud!) I think you two may have gotten the award for best at getting the course ready for the next person.

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville
    Looking back now, i almost wished I never made MM in ESP... pretty sure I belong in Novice. Seriously starting to rethink Sellersburg, at least until I learn how to shoot. :(

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    The one that hurt was the 18-round Limited Vickers score. Everything else was on par with the shoot and that was the first time you've used the CZ in a while and it has a new sight so there is a learning curve there. It would be nice for a coule of us to get together and help each other work on some areas that could use it. After soccer season I could be more available. Just say the word!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    BTW, was a pretty cool match with challenging COF's. Need someone to volunteer their vehicle so we can incorporate it into a match

RB does have an old Dodge pickup truck, or at least I think they still do, that IDPA bought a couple of years ago. I haven't seen it in a match this year that I can remember but it would be worth checking with Steve O to see if it is still available.

I tried the 'go faster' thing Saturday and it was a push on whether it helped or hurt LOL I think that is one of my favorite aspects of sports like IDPA where you have to find that balance of both speed and accuracy. You can't just depend on one. Larry's score and my score are pretty good examples of it...he was down 18 across the entire match where I went down 47 (thanks to stage 1 with the plates and no-shoot targets) and I managed to just stay ahead of him on score. He went a little faster or I actually used my front sight a bit more and there is no telling how it may have turned out. I don't know which is harder, though; being an accurate shooter and pushing to go faster or being a fast shooter and trying to become more accurate.

dgtk

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I tried the 'go faster' thing Saturday and it was a push on whether it helped or hurt LOL I think that is one of my favorite aspects of sports like IDPA where you have to find that balance of both speed and accuracy. You can't just depend on one. Larry's score and my score are pretty good examples of it...he was down 18 across the entire match where I went down 47 (thanks to stage 1 with the plates and no-shoot targets) and I managed to just stay ahead of him on score. He went a little faster or I actually used my front sight a bit more and there is no telling how it may have turned out. I don't know which is harder, though; being an accurate shooter and pushing to go faster or being a fast shooter and trying to become more accurate.

Agree 100%! Hard to strike the right balance. I do think I'm being a little too conservative and would improve my scores a bit by pushing the envelope more, at least with the closer targets. I was down 32 (5th overall) but total score was 10th overall and that seems to be pretty consistent from match to match, sacrificing time for accuracy but it isn't paying off

Top Bottom