• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I have an IDPA question that I can't quite find the answer to.

Cover for reloading is the same for shooting; as long as you have 100% of your lower and 50% or more of your upper behind it you are good to go. But, is that the same for a starting position in a COF like Stage 3 Strings 1 & 2 of The Classifier. On that, with the new rules taking effect in October, could I start both strings 1 & 2 already leaning out from around the barricade/cover or do I have to be 100% top and bottom behind cover at the start? I think that cover enough for reloading and shooting would be cover enough for all. I can't find anywhere in the rulebook where it states that you have to be completely behind cover only that the standard starting position for the Classifier is standing and hands and arms relaxed at the sides.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I have an IDPA question that I can't quite find the answer to.

Cover for reloading is the same for shooting; as long as you have 100% of your lower and 50% or more of your upper behind it you are good to go. But, is that the same for a starting position in a COF like Stage 3 Strings 1 & 2 of The Classifier. On that, with the new rules taking effect in October, could I start both strings 1 & 2 already leaning out from around the barricade/cover or do I have to be 100% top and bottom behind cover at the start? I think that cover enough for reloading and shooting would be cover enough for all. I can't find anywhere in the rulebook where it states that you have to be completely behind cover only that the standard starting position for the Classifier is standing and hands and arms relaxed at the sides.

I'm not the IDPA rulebook, but.....well, yeah, around these parts I mainly am:laugh:

The answer to the question is "yes" that's a fine starting position and as mentioned, under the new rules we must cover.

BUT, I strongly advise against it, even though it seems like it would shave time. If one starts at that position they are going to be focused on the target for at least 5 seconds before the "beep." This REALLY messes up your depth perception and that is a thing you don't want. Better to look at the barricade being centered with it. Also, you'll probably have to do more feet shuffling for position when changing sides.:twocents:

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I'm not the IDPA rulebook, but.....well, yeah, around these parts I mainly am:laugh:

The answer to the question is "yes" that's a fine starting position and as mentioned, under the new rules we must cover.

BUT, I strongly advise against it, even though it seems like it would shave time. If one starts at that position they are going to be focused on the target for at least 5 seconds before the "beep." This REALLY messes up your depth perception and that is a thing you don't want. Better to look at the barricade being centered with it. Also, you'll probably have to do more feet shuffling for position when changing sides.:twocents:

It would definitely make for an interesting experiment. And since I have no depth perception it may be worth trying it :D LOL Just wondering, not only for the strings in the Classifier but just in general for future reference. The COF would have include in it's description "100% behind cover" in order to prevent that.

I've been reading the rule book trying to understand the changes better and a few things come to mind. What is bugging me, and I haven't exactly been going over it with a fine-tooth comb but I can't find where it says a revolver shooter does not have to retain any ammo during a loaded chamber/cylinder reload.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    It would definitely make for an interesting experiment. And since I have no depth perception it may be worth trying it :D LOL Just wondering, not only for the strings in the Classifier but just in general for future reference. The COF would have include in it's description "100% behind cover" in order to prevent that.

I've been reading the rule book trying to understand the changes better and a few things come to mind. What is bugging me, and I haven't exactly been going over it with a fine-tooth comb but I can't find where it says a revolver shooter does not have to retain any ammo during a loaded chamber/cylinder reload.

Few things: Depth perception- my earlier comments are not relevant then:laugh:

Why are you looking into revolver rules? Wanting to shoot one or wanting to hand out a few procedurals????

I haven't read it closely enough either, but by removing the revolver neutral business the ability to drop rounds might have had to go as well (don't know for sure, just a thought). R7 probably could be read to cover that issue. BUT, none of it matters because since the "round dumping" rule is gone, I can promise you that revolver shooters will NEVER do a tac-reload:)

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    LOL I will eventually get a revolver to shoot in IDPA, that much I am certain of. I really wasn't looking specifically for revolver tac-reloads I just ran across sections dealing with stage design and all that about points of cover for reloading and I noticed it more not being there than there. I have been trying to create more COF to submit for matches and I wanted to make sure they are compliant.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    LOL I will eventually get a revolver to shoot in IDPA, that much I am certain of.

Good deal! It might not look like it, but I can assure you no one is having more fun on the range than we wheelgunners. So what division are you interested in- ESR or SSR? You already load 45acp and you won't loose any brass (that metal clip, and yes, you can then say "clip" proudly + the awesomeness of wheelgunning keeps even the most rabid brass rats away). :)

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Back peddling the thread a little. I have started talking to Coach about taking his intermediate handgun class one on one in the near future!

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Good deal! It might not look like it, but I can assure you no one is having more fun on the range than we wheelgunners. So what division are you interested in- ESR or SSR? You already load 45acp and you won't loose any brass (that metal clip, and yes, you can then say "clip" proudly + the awesomeness of wheelgunning keeps even the most rabid brass rats away). :)

That is the only question there, ESR or SSR. ESP makes a lot of sense because I already reload .45. But, the only real choice for ESR is the S&W and she ain't cheep. SSR would open up several more choices in gun but I would have to start reloading for .38/.357. But, I have a plan to pick up a nice carry revolver eventually so loading for .38/.357 might need to become a reality anyway. This is still down the road aways now but I figure I could research while I wait.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Back peddling the thread a little. I have started talking to Coach about taking his intermediate handgun class one on one in the near future!

Cool!! In my opinion.

That is the only question there, ESR or SSR. ESP makes a lot of sense because I already reload .45. But, the only real choice for ESR is the S&W and she ain't cheep. SSR would open up several more choices in gun but I would have to start reloading for .38/.357. But, I have a plan to pick up a nice carry revolver eventually so loading for .38/.357 might need to become a reality anyway. This is still down the road aways now but I figure I could research while I wait.

Figure on another ,what TJ maybe $350, for holsters and various wheel gun gee gaws and tiddley what not stuff.

Saw TJ at USPSA today, seemed like he was wearing about 27 speed loaders, I'm guessing you won't need to get there for a while though.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Cool!! In my opinion.

Figure on another ,what TJ maybe $350, for holsters and various wheel gun gee gaws and tiddley what not stuff.

Saw TJ at USPSA today, seemed like he was wearing about 27 speed loaders, I'm guessing you won't need to get there for a while though.

At least $350.

Beating bottom feeders though- priceless. Makes it all worth it:laugh:

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Beating bottom feeders though- priceless. Makes it all worth it:laugh:

Hmmm, does that mean Boss Hoss kicked some butt
    icon7.png

Kisada

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    Evansville

I would vote going with a 625 or whatnot and save yourself the extras involved with caliber changes/plates/etc. I might be biased because my .45 LRN bullets have come out pretty good once I got the mold temps figured out, but I also have that .358 mold that isn't working with the CZ, so I guess I'd have that option as well.

On a related side-note, I need to try working up a kydex wheelie holster, haven't got to try that yet.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just checked the IDPA database and the scores from WSSC's classifier event have been uploaded. Thanks to Jay for getting them in! Since you've got a year on this classification it will take care of anyone wanting the shoot the Kolonel. You're also good to go because it's online as come Oct.1 we can throw our cards away.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Just checked the IDPA database and the scores from WSSC's classifier event have been uploaded. Thanks to Jay for getting them in! Since you've got a year on this classification it will take care of anyone wanting the shoot the Kolonel. You're also good to go because it's online as come Oct.1 we can throw our cards away.

Woot Woot! Ready for it!

Top Bottom