Not open for further replies.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    This showed up today. '81, not really my style. Wish it was a Pontiac. It's a 60k mile survivor, mostly original paint. Doing door seals on it. It's cool and I'd drive it though.

Years and years ago, my dad was "in the market" for an "old man sports car". He ended up with a Corvette - but there was a used lot in town that had a 1980 Turbo T/A on the lot. Black...had the big gold screaming chicken on the hood. Tan interior. Pristine. Car was being sold with several trophies and plaques the car had won at shows. The guy let me test drive it "because I was helping my dad shop...hahahahaha". Turbo 302 (or maybe 301??). What. A. Turd. Seriously. Sure looked good, though.

I remember reading 1980s HP ratings for Corvettes in that range too. That's just wrong.

As I mentioned right above, my dad ended up with a 1980 Corvette with the L82 engine. When new, it was rated at a whopping 230 HP. Probably at the fly wheel - because it certainly wasn't at the wheels. HOWEVER - there was a ton of funny business going on even then and one can argue that they downrated the numbers on many/most of the engines to appease those who needed appeasing. I was pretty ignorant on how to do such things back then (still am, actually), but I couldn't manage to get the rear wheels to spin without damp pavement or making a turn. No torque.

Was a pretty car to look at - from the outside. It was the Silver Metallic paint scheme with the Oyster leather interior. Automatic transmission. T Tops. Power locks/windows. Rear defroster. Think I've got it nailed down to his car being 1 of 1800 or so in that configuration. Not that being 1 of 1800 is a big deal. There were tons of those cars sold. And all of them were turds. :D

He has a 1996 Collector Edition now (For sale!). Silver, convertible, black interior, LT4/6spd, adjustable suspension. I think I've gotten that one down to his being 1 of 150 or so in that configuration. Again - not a super big deal. BUT a Collector Edition convertible with the adjustable suspension is kind of a "rare bird" - a rare bird for a turd of a car. heh.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Old is awesome and new is good too. It's the in between stuff that is so disappointing!

Of course, this is academic for me. My hotrod continues to be my '02 Silverado! HAHA!

I agree! I loved the cars back in the 60's and early 70's. And I like what is currently being produced. There is something to be said for owning a new car that is faster than the old hot rods while running the AC, power everything, warranty, etc.

I prefer the simplicity of the old car. I am hoping that once I am done dumping loads of money into my home reno, I can pick up an old car to have for a "toy" and something fun to mess around with and drive in my retirement years. I really don't want computers, traction control and the like. Just give me a car with a carburetor, rear wheel drive and a manual transmission. I love the sound, smell and feel of Detroit iron that is 45+ years old.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    TF......I had 2 mid 60's vettes in "The Day" and they were rockets.
    The Era of no lead fuel 1st coming along killed the power until fuel injection and ECU controllers managed the engines well enough to return us to power levels and beyond "Those Days"
    A good friend has a new Vette with the LS-7 boosted that will pin your ears back and scare a passenger to near death.
    I rolled it up the on ramp to North bound I-65 off Laff. rd and started feeding it right foot. After I got the rear tires to hook back up (3rd gear no "T" control) it was a blur all the way up through the gears. Just think Guided missile on wheels. I turned around at the Whites town exit and repeated the process..........Holy mother.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The Era of no lead fuel 1st coming along killed the power until fuel injection and ECU controllers managed the engines well enough to return us to power levels and beyond "Those Days"
    A good friend has a new Vette with the LS-7 boosted that will pin your ears back and scare a passenger to near death.
    I rolled it up the on ramp to North bound I-65 off Laff. rd and started feeding it right foot. After I got the rear tires to hook back up (3rd gear no "T" control) it was a blur all the way up through the gears. Just think Guided missile on wheels. I turned around at the Whites town exit and repeated the process..........Holy mother.

My wife's uncle has a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport. It's a heck of a lot more comfortable to ride in than either of my dad's vehicles for sure... But it's just not mind-bendingly quick. I was actually kind of disappointed. But that's just kind of the standard/base engine. 6.2 L with the paddle shifted auto.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    And personality. I really enjoy the quirks each car has. For instance, with my lemans you must listen for when you need to shift, no tach, you also must be mindful of your speed because the needle fell off the speedo awhile ago. And the right rear window needs to be up about an inch while its down, otherwise it rattles. The huge tear on the drivers seat causes some amazing fresh air ventilation while on the highway, right in the most important spot! Oh and driving in the rain, be careful because your feet will get wet.... The fuel gauge falls to empty while the headlights are on and none of the dash lighting works. I could go on.....

Couldn't agree more. Now all you have to worry about is if you need to turn the heated seat down.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I found this today at the Airzoo in Kalamazoo.
    Figured this qualifies as a hot rod engine. 28 cylinder, 4362 ci, turbo charged AND super charged 3,500 hp motor.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

See, they should make a cockpit for that car that accommodates rhinos, because rhino needs one of those.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This is cool. Car is awesome and the owner seems cool. His opening line is perfect.

[video=youtube;gEnkA5jR410]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEnkA5jR410&feature=share[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom