• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I go 5K with Mobil 1 high mileage. Almost all of my driving is highway/interstate. So far, so good.

That is a fair number with those conditions on that oil.

Can we start a "This oil is the best ever and all other brands are crap" discussion? Those are always fun.

*disclaimer- I am not making a comment on rhino's choice of oil. I just haven't seen this discussion here yet and like political discussions, always end well. ;)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Can we start a "This oil is the best ever and all other brands are crap" discussion? Those are always fun.

*disclaimer- I am not making a comment on rhino's choice of oil. I just haven't seen this discussion here yet and like political discussions, always end well. ;)

I will play, especially since I am ignorant of the facts!

I chose mobil 1 because I wanted a synthetic and back in 2002 that's the only full synthetic of which I was aware.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I will play, especially since I am ignorant of the facts!

I chose mobil 1 because I wanted a synthetic and back in 2002 that's the only full synthetic of which I was aware.

I was only kidding. Mobile 1 is good oil. It just seems like whenever someone mentions what brand of oil they use, you get people who use the same oil and just about as many others who will tell you that oil is pure crap. People start throwing around "I had an oil analysis ran and they found....." and the other guy says his analysis showed his oil is better. The only thing I can tell you is that as long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the specifications your car maufacturer recommends, you're good.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was only kidding. Mobile 1 is good oil. It just seems like whenever someone mentions what brand of oil they use, you get people who use the same oil and just about as many others who will tell you that oil is pure crap. People start throwing around "I had an oil analysis ran and they found....." and the other guy says his analysis showed his oil is better. The only thing I can tell you is that as long as the oil you use meets or exceeds the specifications your car maufacturer recommends, you're good.

I was just playing along with the game!

The way I see it, if your engine is not showing signs of excessive wear, whatever you're doing is okay. The proof is in the pudding.

It's kind of like ARs. What you use to lube them is less important than lubing them adequately (i.e. a bolt and carrier groups wet enough with lube to "glisten").

With synthetics and easy miles on a V8 that's not working like a tiny 4 cylinder with a turbo, it's probably more important to change the filter frequently than the oil itself.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I was just playing along with the game!

The way I see it, if your engine is not showing signs of excessive wear, whatever you're doing is okay. The proof is in the pudding.

It's kind of like ARs. What you use to lube them is less important than lubing them adequately (i.e. a bolt and carrier groups wet enough with lube to "glisten").

With synthetics and easy miles on a V8 that's not working like a tiny 4 cylinder with a turbo, it's probably more important to change the filter frequently than the oil itself.

So do you use mobile 1 on your AR?
    The only oil I know of that no one ever recommended was Kendall. The first parts store I worked at used the cases they had as a stand for the catalog rack. I have always used Castrol or Valvoline in my vehicles. *Knock on wood* I have never had any oil related problems so I have figured I have always made a good choice.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    Finally got the ends of my ducktail spoiler I bought in Iowa. Threw a quickie coat of rattle can on it. Fits like crap, but it's cool. I'll make it fit better whenever I decide to fix the car.

This spoiler was an option on a 1972 GTO. They made very few because the mold broke and they stopped production. Finding an original is impossible, luckily they reproduce them now.

Makes me think more and more of 70's NASCAR cars.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I have been using BG MOA in my car since I started working where I do now (going on the third year). My boss and the older tech both swear by it and they have yet to steer me wrong yet. My mom has an '08 Camry with an oil consumption problem ( Toyota did the test with it and said it doesn't consume enough to be recalled) and I have had her use Lucas Oil additive in it since we discovered it was using oil. It seems to slow it down and she thought the time we tried MOA, it consumed more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have been using BG MOA in my car since I started working where I do now (going on the third year). My boss and the older tech both swear by it and they have yet to steer me wrong yet. My mom has an '08 Camry with an oil consumption problem ( Toyota did the test with it and said it doesn't consume enough to be recalled) and I have had her use Lucas Oil additive in it since we discovered it was using oil. It seems to slow it down and she thought the time we tried MOA, it consumed more.

I started using Lucas in My daughters Navigator that had 118K on the clock. 5.7 cammer engine was noisy (valve train clicks and rattles) on cold starts in the morning. I changed the oil out and put a bottle of Lucas in it. No more noise regardless until right at 4K on the oil.
    I have been using it ever since with no ill effects.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have always been a bit leery of switching up a higher mileage engine.
    I do use Pennzoil and Lucas oil additive.
    Everything I run is between 125,000-190,000 miles 1970-2006. All run synthetic high mileage. No additives, except for ZDDP when I feel like adding it in the older stuff. The GP runs Joe Gibbs racing oil since it's still low milage and in good shape.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So do you use mobile 1 on your AR?
    The only oil I know of that no one ever recommended was Kendall. The first parts store I worked at used the cases they had as a stand for the catalog rack. I have always used Castrol or Valvoline in my vehicles. *Knock on wood* I have never had any oil related problems so I have figured I have always made a good choice.

Nah, too thick. Gets even thicker in the cold. I use FP-10 or WeaponShield. I know how they both work in in sub-zero temps and hotter than hammered hell temps with my guns (because I've tested them).

Makes me think more and more of 70's NASCAR cars.

As soon as I saw one, I knew I had to have it.

Spoilers make cars go FASTER!!!

What is BG MOA?

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    What is BG MOA?

It is an oil additive that is only sold to shops and dealerships not at a parts store. Some people sell it on Amazon. We use their products for oil, transmission flushes, a/c services, coolant flushes, and others. My boss has used BG for a long time and has never had a problem with any of their products. I started using it because we get it from the rep and the local dealerships use it as well.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It is an oil additive that is only sold to shops and dealerships not at a parts store. Some people sell it on Amazon. We use their products for oil, transmission flushes, a/c services, coolant flushes, and others. My boss has used BG for a long time and has never had a problem with any of their products. I started using it because we get it from the rep and the local dealerships use it as well.

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/engine/bg-moa/

Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom