• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Put headers on a 68 GTO back in the day, had to move brake lines around to get the job done.

Tips, they do the back end proud.
    Yeah I had to bend some lines out of the way, I still want to wrap the distribution block with some kind of heat barrier, it's awful close..... Would have been much easier if it was an automatic car.... Luckily, the Z bar runs through the header.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :) Thanks mouse. I still have not uncorked her yet. Tomorrow is a new day :cool:. I do plan to add a cross pipe in at some point. It's hitting somewhere under there, think on the rear end... Gonna have to get the hammers out again.

If it were easy a Billary supporter could do it.

I put headers on 2 Poncho's but both of them were sporting Bow Tie power.........Easy peasy.
    I never built the header back system. I have friends that are very good at such things.

Very nice/clean work.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    If it were easy a Billary supporter could do it.

I put headers on 2 Poncho's but both of them were sporting Bow Tie power.........Easy peasy.
    I never built the header back system. I have friends that are very good at such things.

Very nice/clean work.
    I'm very pleased with this kit from Summit. Pipes are very nice, all mandrel bends. Even though we cut out some pieces to fit in the cut outs, it fit very well. Our only issues stemmed from one of the cheap headers having a collector welded on crooked, messed us up a bit.... For clamps I always use stainless band clamps where they will fit. Allows you to remove the system very easily without having to get the torch out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm very pleased with this kit from Summit. Pipes are very nice, all mandrel bends. Even though we cut out some pieces to fit in the cut outs, it fit very well. Our only issues stemmed from one of the cheap headers having a collector welded on crooked, messed us up a bit.... For clamps I always use stainless band clamps where they will fit. Allows you to remove the system very easily without having to get the torch out.

Few folks think that far ahead and will not spend the time/money on such nicety's.
    I used double gaskets on most header flanges. It just seemed to seal better and not distort the flange.
    Speed bumps would distort them....damn it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always tear off a filter box lid and write the mileage, date and oil used. I throw that in the glove box, I just don't always think to check it.... Only one car has a trip meter.

still love the older rigs.

I made some good progress today on the 64.
    -Oil is changed/new filter. Primed the pump and the entire lubricating system. Oil flowing out the push rod tips.
    -I found the reason for the tow in issue. It has the ram style power steering system. The drag link is bent back against the K-frame member. Have no idea how that happened.
    -Plugs in the holes after the final wet the cylinders routine.
    -New valve cover gaskets.
    -New dual 1" core aluminum radiator is in place. Still considering how to mount the new dual 11" fans.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I am always very careful buying a used rig. If you look hard enough these things will show.

The problem is people don't know where to look. We get someone coming in with a new-used vehicle and half the time they are no better off than they were with their old car. I started telling people we do pre-purchase inspections because the service writer wasn't telling them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The problem is people don't know where to look. We get someone coming in with a new-used vehicle and half the time they are no better off than they were with their old car. I started telling people we do pre-purchase inspections because the service writer wasn't telling them.

It is hard to help folks out sometimes.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Finally got the ends of my ducktail spoiler I bought in Iowa. Threw a quickie coat of rattle can on it. Fits like crap, but it's cool. I'll make it fit better whenever I decide to fix the car.

This spoiler was an option on a 1972 GTO. They made very few because the mold broke and they stopped production. Finding an original is impossible, luckily they reproduce them now.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Open headers really are pleasing! Certainly won't make a habit out of driving around like that, but every once in awhile out on the country roads or entering/leaving car shows...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom