• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I ordered the Cragar center caps that go with those wheels today as well as a set of locking lug nuts, can't trust anyone these days since the car sits outside all year round... Now I need to dig through my brass collection and see if I have 4 pieces of 44 mag brass to go over the valve caps. :cool:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    What is everyone's opinion of throwing new modern seats in an old car? For example, I've found a set of seats out of a 04-06 GTO, black leather fronts and rear. I've always been so so about it, sometimes it looks ok, others it looks really bad. Someday I'd like to put something with more support and comfort into project lemans. The bench is badass and pretty comfy for what it is, but there is no adjustment, not to mention going in a corner hard and holding onto the wheel for dear life!

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    It's your ride and as long as you are not having them reupholstered in an animal print or any neon color, go for it. :D The wheels and tires look good on the LeMans.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So the pink leopard print is a no go?

What other people think doesn't bother me, I was just wondering other people's opinions. I've always been a "it's your car, do what you want". Given that this car will never be sought after by collectors, I'm taking liberties :). I was thinking the other day, instead of just repairing the rust, improving it. Thinking mini tubs, custom trunk floor, then my dad said something about widening the flares on the car. :faint: Yes please.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mini tubs (as you already know) can be a real chore.
    As you already have the wheel tire combo in place I would wear these tires out before making that leap.
    If you put wider meats on offset rears you will widen the cars foot print a bit over tubs and flares are a hell of a lot less work.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like complete restorations. I also like the resto-rod type cars. I had a '66 Lemans and if I still had it, I would make the body look like a GTO and put updated drivetrain underneath it.

I don't know what the later model GTO seats look like but I imagine they would work fine in your car. I would probably stick with some original buckets seats but it would be more for financial reasons than anything else.

I have never understood the "hate" for clones, fakes, whatever you want to call them. All of my cars were built and owned to be driven. Most of them driven hard. I am more comfortable doing that with something other than an original version.

How many people do you know that would take an original, factory AC Cobra out on a fairly frequent basis and boil the rear tires off it and drive it to dinner or a car show?

I had a friend with an all original '70 Monte Carlo 454, 4-speed car. He was so worried about something happening to it that he never took it out of his garage. He finally took it to Mecum a couple years ago and sold it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Mini tubs (as you already know) can be a real chore.
    As you already have the wheel tire combo in place I would wear these tires out before making that leap.
    If you put wider meats on offset rears you will widen the cars foot print a bit over tubs and flares are a hell of a lot less work.
    Actually don't know what it's like. Never done tubs before. My thought with a tub was, the inner and outer wheel houses need replaced anyway, why not tub it? If we widen the flares in the 1/4s and fenders, that will make some serious room for wider wheels in the future, bring a whole new meaning to "wide track" :):. The new shoes will be worn out long before I decide to do that.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I like complete restorations. I also like the resto-rod type cars. I had a '66 Lemans and if I still had it, I would make the body look like a GTO and put updated drivetrain underneath it.

I don't know what the later model GTO seats look like but I imagine they would work fine in your car. I would probably stick with some original buckets seats but it would be more for financial reasons than anything else.

I have never understood the "hate" for clones, fakes, whatever you want to call them. All of my cars were built and owned to be driven. Most of them driven hard. I am more comfortable doing that with something other than an original version.

How many people do you know that would take an original, factory AC Cobra out on a fairly frequent basis and boil the rear tires off it and drive it to dinner or a car show?

I had a friend with an all original '70 Monte Carlo 454, 4-speed car. He was so worried about something happening to it that he never took it out of his garage. He finally took it to Mecum a couple years ago and sold it.
    I don't "hate" clones, I don't like the fact that everyone does them. I prefer to be different. I'll keep this car a lemans with the flat hood. I also build cars to drive them, that's what they were built for originally.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't "hate" clones, I don't like the fact that everyone does them. I prefer to be different. I'll keep this car a lemans with the flat hood. I also build cars to drive them, that's what they were built for originally.

Comments not aimed at you Rusty, just an overall observation I have noticed. The Lemans looks plenty good in it's original form.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Actually don't know what it's like. Never done tubs before. My thought with a tub was, the inner and outer wheel houses need replaced anyway, why not tub it? If we widen the flares in the 1/4s and fenders, that will make some serious room for wider wheels in the future, bring a whole new meaning to "wide track" :):. The new shoes will be worn out long before I decide to do that.

Did not know about the wheel tub issues.

"TUB" it man......"TUB" it

I have tubed out more than a few cars both for the street and strip.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom