• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I restomodded the Charger after doing some research and asking questions. A smart old car guy asked me two important questions. The first was what will you have when you are done with a resto, a 68 2 barrel AC sedan, is that what you want to drive? The second was what do you want to do with the car when done? The answer to those two questions and the costs involved in scaring up and restoring original parts made my decision.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think hot rods would cut into my knife and gun budget too much.

And they are more dangerous (if you drive them).

(I'm not a good driver)

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At 8 mpg you don't travel far without being aware of budgets, but the sensation is priceless, driving the Charger I feel more alive than driving anything else.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At 8 mpg you don't travel far without being aware of budgets, but the sensation is priceless, driving the Charger I feel more alive than driving anything else.

Can't agree more. My ride gets 5 mpg....on a good day. But knowing what you're driving and really, really enjoying it.....it doesn't get much better. Well, you could get paid to drive it. Yep. It's better now. I get paid to drive mine.

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. But I can pull into the terminal after 12 hrs with the truck still smiling.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    1990 Mustang GT

This is my 1990 Mustang GT. I purchased this is 1997 with big plans for a 1/4 mile 10 sec car. After many, many upgrades and projects Im still in the low 12's. The engine was built with plane for a blower that didnt happen before the kids... Almost the complete drive train has been upgraded with high performance parts. Only item missing is the super charger!
    IMG_0664.JPG

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Question for the experts (i.e. the old guys):

Does a "hot rod" have to have carburetor(s) (or even mechanical fuel injection), or are vehicles with electronic fuel injection allowed?

Seems like a "hot rod" should have a giant 4-barrel carb (or two) or a six-pack.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    O.k. I'm going to have to interject here and DEMAND that this thread be closed!!!:xmad: You guys are killing me! I graduated in May and had hoped to get to work on the '63 1/2 galaxie I picked up last fall or pick up where I left off on the '65 mustang racecar but no-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-0! "We" decided to do a room addition on the house FIRST! So screw you guys, I'm going home!!!:crying:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Question for the experts (i.e. the old guys):

Does a "hot rod" have to have carburetor(s) (or even mechanical fuel injection), or are vehicles with electronic fuel injection allowed?

Seems like a "hot rod" should have a giant 4-barrel carb (or two) or a six-pack.
    I don't have a certain definition of a hot rod, what ever works for you works for me. I'm not old though, so my opinion my not count.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't have a certain definition of a hot rod, what ever works for you works for me. I'm not old though, so my opinion my not count.

hehehe . . . I'm fiddy-one, but that makes me young enough for churchmouse the elderly bully to be my grandpappy, right?!

We could do a whole series of "Your car might be a hot rod, if . . ."

. . . the needle on the gas gauge moves as fast as the needle on the tachometer.

. . . you don't notice anything unusual when the Dukes of Hazzard boys have to climb into and out of the General Lee through where the windows would be.

. . . your refer to the fueling area at the local airport as "the gas station."

. . .

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    hehehe . . . I'm fiddy-one, but that makes me young enough for churchmouse the elderly bully to be my grandpappy, right?!

We could do a whole series of "Your car might be a hot rod, if . . ."

. . . the needle on the gas gauge moves as fast as the needle on the tachometer.

. . . you don't notice anything unusual when the Dukes of Hazzard boys have to climb into and out of the General Lee through where the windows would be.

. . . your refer to the fueling area at the local airport as "the gas station."

. . .

. . . Your engine sets off car alarms as you idle through the parking lot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    AS to the "Clone" issue..........

I have known many to get a clone and push it as the real deal. Happens all the time. An unsuspecting low knowledge buyer has to beware of the snakes and the dicks.
    I had a close frind think he bought a COPO 69 Camaro and with just a few minutes of research we learned he was lied to. The car was a 6 cylimnder 3 speed no option car from the factory and the engine in it when he bought is was a 396CI/375HP which is worth some change in it's own rite but it aint no 450HP 427 COPO

This is one of the reasons the clone market can be a bad deal.
    If honest then everyone is aware.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hot rod I think is how you want to define it yourself. Mine has most of the classics from it's time period, big carb, cam, intake, headers, Hastings pistons, but aluminum heads weren't around much in 68 and MSD ignition was far away in the future. The car body is all 68, but the suspension has newer parts which make the car drive better and upgraded brakes. Paint today is head and shoulders above what was around in 68 for appearance and durability. Steel Cragar SS and wide tires are a must though, they make almost any car from that era look good.:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom