• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I just read through the entire thread. You guys have amazing skills, and some really cool cars! Hopefully I'll have the family '74 VW Thing finished later this summer, and I'll post up some pics.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I just read through the entire thread. You guys have amazing skills, and some really cool cars! Hopefully I'll have the family '74 VW Thing finished later this summer, and I'll post up some pics.
    :rockwoot: Would love to see it! I forgot I had a '74 thing for about 6 months. Bought it to flip it, then realized just how bad it was... Very cool cars and I wish I would have gotten it to the point it was drivable...

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    IMG_20160701_202331975-1.jpg

Not exactly the definition of a hot rod. But it moves and with the bed cover rivals the versatility of a minivan. Kinda where I'm at in life. Paying for 3 "hot rods" right now, 8,6, and 1. All I've done is had the rims paint matched to the truck. Tuxedo black has some metallic and pearls in it. Also had all the lights smoked. Only reason I could afford that is because I know a guy that runs a body shop.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    :rockwoot: Would love to see it! I forgot I had a '74 thing for about 6 months. Bought it to flip it, then realized just how bad it was... Very cool cars and I wish I would have gotten it to the point it was drivable...
    You know you have a sweet car collection when you "forget" what all cars you have! My particular Thing was once rebuilt as a dune buggy, and is now being re-rebuilt as an even better dune buggy/off-road thing. It's the first car I've ever been part of rebuilding, and I am super excited to get it out and about!
    They tend to rust badly.
    You are correct. This one had been redone and all the rust removed, then promptly left outside for 3 years, so I got to do it all over again. I couldn't handle seeing it rust into oblivion, so I insisted it get moved to project priority #1!

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I may be the only one here, but I'd rather have the Boss....

I am not really sure it was Hugger Orange but that is the closest Mustang color I saw. This thing was orangish-yellow and reminded me of a Chicklet. It was a beautiful car and everything was correct but that Shelby was just pure sex. I think it was also because I knew the Boss was a trailer queen and dad's friend had owned the Shelby since he was a teenager.

We got the booster back from Brake Materials and Parts today. It will probably be installed sometime in the next week or two when we catch up on appointments. Scott did an awesome job and for great price.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I am not really sure it was Hugger Orange but that is the closest Mustang color I saw. This thing was orangish-yellow and reminded me of a Chicklet. It was a beautiful car and everything was correct but that Shelby was just pure sex. I think it was also because I knew the Boss was a trailer queen and dad's friend had owned the Shelby since he was a teenager.

We got the booster back from Brake Materials and Parts today. It will probably be installed sometime in the next week or two when we catch up on appointments. Scott did an awesome job and for great price.
    :rockwoot: I was just in there talking to him yesterday. Super super nice guy.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So I felt I was missing something on the lemans. The car needed something on the side. I've always love the vintage race car numbers and the other night I was over at a friends house and his little grandkids walked up to the car and called it a race car. They were crawling all over it and that sealed the deal for me. That's what this car is about. Cousin came over last night and we stayed up to complete this. Hit up a cars and coffee this morning and the car was a huge hit!

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So I felt I was missing something on the lemans. The car needed something on the side. I've always love the vintage race car numbers and the other night I was over at a friends house and his little grandkids walked up to the car and called it a race car. They were crawling all over it and that sealed the deal for me. That's what this car is about. Cousin came over last night and we stayed up to complete this. Hit up a cars and coffee this morning and the car was a huge hit!

You HAVE to have the huge decals on each side of the hood proclaiming the engine displacement!!!!

images

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Question for the experts (i.e. the old guys):

Does a "hot rod" have to have carburetor(s) (or even mechanical fuel injection), or are vehicles with electronic fuel injection allowed?

Seems like a "hot rod" should have a giant 4-barrel carb (or two) or a six-pack.

Sorry Rhino if you dont consider the 90 Mustang a 'hot rod' cause its fuel injected. I didnt initially either, but at this point the car is 26 years old, the engine is blue printed, balanced, and every engine component has been upgraded. It has a Tremec transmission, SVO flywheel, centerforce clutch, scatter shield and drive shaft loop.

I have hundreds of hours of sweat equity into making it what it is today. You dont see many Fox body Mustangs on the road these days and rarely one as nice as mine.

If its not a 'hot rod' its definitely on the path to be a race car.....

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Question for the experts (i.e. the old guys):

Does a "hot rod" have to have carburetor(s) (or even mechanical fuel injection), or are vehicles with electronic fuel injection allowed?

Seems like a "hot rod" should have a giant 4-barrel carb (or two) or a six-pack.

A Hot Rod by definition is anything you do to a car to make it go faster.

My definition is the same except done to a car made between the 30's and 50's.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry Rhino if you dont consider the 90 Mustang a 'hot rod' cause its fuel injected. I didnt initially either, but at this point the car is 26 years old, the engine is blue printed, balanced, and every engine component has been upgraded. It has a Tremec transmission, SVO flywheel, centerforce clutch, scatter shield and drive shaft loop.

I have hundreds of hours of sweat equity into making it what it is today. You dont see many Fox body Mustangs on the road these days and rarely one as nice as mine.

If its not a 'hot rod' its definitely on the path to be a race car.....

Dude - I wasn't commenting on you or your car, but I understand why you might think that since my question followed your message. It was a question for the group about the general concept behind the term "hot rod." Proximity to your message was coincidental.

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    The days are coming and going. My stainless Borla exhaust system sits collecting dust in the garage, my 8 point roll bar sits next to it to keep it company. Many other parts are sitting in plastic totes just waiting patiently to be installed. And as all this time passes I am still buying brass fittings, heavy gauge cable, and many other little bits while welding and fabricating other parts in order to get my wife's truck back on the road. The whole time all I can think of is the day I get to work on my car once again.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Well, i didn't win the Powerball. Again.

So I cannot make Chip Foose an even richer man than he already is. Because I would.

I think I'm a "resto-rod" kind of guy. I think that I'd want the overall "look" of an older vintage vehicle - but with all the modern amenities and technology of modern vehicles. Air conditioning and seats comfortable enough to be in all day are a big deal to me. :D

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm rethinking the seating arrangement in the lemans. I'm good for a couple hours on the bench seat, then I need a stretch. Drove it to Muncie Sunday to sell a gun, I was rather uncomfortable. Part of that could have been the fact that I couldn't relax. The car has some pretty bad bump steer, which wasn't noticeable with the 15's, but the 17's bring it out, then it started to rain.... The front wheel alignment is set up for stock right now and it's got some positive camber, hoping to get it on the rack this week and have some negative camber dialed in.

I was hoping brakes were my next upgrade, but it looks like some upper control arms and tall ball joints are gonna come first, bump steer is not cool! I can handle the drums for now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom