Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I remain skeptical until I see the numbers on the dyno myself (or video)!!

I'm stubborn.

OK but I saw many many many Dyno runs both engine and chassis.
    I would not deceive the blue Rhino. Just would not do this.

GM had a habit of greatly under rating the performance engines of the day. Reason, Insurance.

The Vaunted DZ-302 rated at 285 my ass.
    With the available cross mounted TA manifold (dual Holley's) they would push the needle past 390 with ease. I have heard claims of 420 at the crank shaft.
    If you had the opportunity to drive or ride in one it was most obvious.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Struggling to find one on the chassis dyno.... This is the big dog, L88....

[video=youtube;pji1mm5DwAc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pji1mm5DwAc&feature=share[/video]

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Not much left of the original 383, ran it on Jasper Engine's dyno, 425/465 and I get 400 of that at 1900. With the 295/50/15 tires on the back and 3.55 gears it makes a good street car.:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Did some horse trading with my father tonight. Just wrapped up the deal. Traded him my Grand Prix for his Lemans. There was a couple other things worked into the deal. I hate to give up the GP, but couldn't let the Lemans leave the family. He got a nicer car, I got a sorted driver.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Did some horse trading with my father tonight. Just wrapped up the deal. Traded him my Grand Prix for his Lemans. There was a couple other things worked into the deal. I hate to give up the GP, but couldn't let the Lemans leave the family. He got a nicer car, I got a sorted driver.

Put a big stock motor in it and roll.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Put a big stock motor in it and roll.
    Part of the deal was a bone stock 400 we got last year for it. It needs built. It won't be stock though, I may need to sell some guns... I have a vision of a 400ci Pontiac with 400hp and 400tq. Aluminum heads and intake, full roller. Hoping the stock 3 speed can handle that for now, not gonna be able to do anything about it...

Car drives perfect as is, of course there is always room for improvement. The rear suspension, with the exception of adding coilovers in the future, is dialed in. Front suspension is fresh bushings, could be upgraded, I bought him parts to rebuild all the stock components with MOOG last year. The manual drums are "adequate", but 4 wheel manual discs are in the future. Rear end is open, have no idea to gear. I'd like to be able to road race the pig. It already handles pretty darn well, just lacking in power and braking.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Part of the deal was a bone stock 400 we got last year for it. It needs built. It won't be stock though, I may need to sell some guns... I have a vision of a 400ci Pontiac with 400hp and 400tq. Aluminum heads and intake, full roller. Hoping the stock 3 speed can handle that for now, not gonna be able to do anything about it...

Car drives perfect as is, of course there is always room for improvement. The rear suspension, with the exception of adding coilovers in the future, is dialed in. Front suspension is fresh bushings, could be upgraded, I bought him parts to rebuild all the stock components with MOOG last year. The manual drums are "adequate", but 4 wheel manual discs are in the future. Rear end is open, have no idea to gear. I'd like to be able to road race the pig. It already handles pretty darn well, just lacking in power and braking.

Poly bushings. Big sway bars front and rear.
    Look the "A" arms over really well for rust or weakness. Same with the rear control arms.
    Really good shocks and 4 wheel disk brakes.
    Gumball tires.

Leave the rear open if you are going to road race it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is the Autronic Eye, an automatic headlight dimmer.

That's very cool. Was it orginal equipment?

OK but I saw many many many Dyno runs both engine and chassis.
    I would not deceive the blue Rhino. Just would not do this.

GM had a habit of greatly under rating the performance engines of the day. Reason, Insurance.

The Vaunted DZ-302 rated at 285 my ass.
    With the available cross mounted TA manifold (dual Holley's) they would push the needle past 390 with ease. I have heard claims of 420 at the crank shaft.
    If you had the opportunity to drive or ride in one it was most obvious.

I believe you and do not thing you would try to pull rhino's leg! I'm just a skeptic.

Do you think GM still underrates engine HP?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Poly bushings. Big sway bars front and rear.
    Look the "A" arms over really well for rust or weakness. Same with the rear control arms.
    Really good shocks and 4 wheel disk brakes.
    Gumball tires.

Leave the rear open if you are going to road race it.
    I will get some pictures of the suspension as it sits. Rear lowers are boxed, uppers are adjustable has sway bar. Front is all rebuilt stock components. From the little research I did awhile ago, these A body cars have some steering geometry issues that can be fixed with a new upper control arm, the lower geometry is already good. It does have lowering springs front and rear. I'm looking at bigger wheels right now, brakes after the wheels so I know they will fit.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes sir it is. They came about sometime in the early 50s and were phased out by the early to mid 60s I think. They had a lot of really cool/interesting technology that was being experimented with back then.

Clearly alien technology from Roswell/Area 51!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will get some pictures of the suspension as it sits. Rear lowers are boxed, uppers are adjustable has sway bar. Front is all rebuilt stock components. From the little research I did awhile ago, these A body cars have some steering geometry issues that can be fixed with a new upper control arm, the lower geometry is already good. It does have lowering springs front and rear. I'm looking at bigger wheels right now, brakes after the wheels so I know they will fit.

"BIG" sway bars man......."BIG"

Look under and you will see a "Guldstrand" offering.It is over an inch.
    Rear pieces we made. Copy's of a set on a buddy's chevel. Poly bushings.
    Front uppers/lowers were "Fat Jack" pieces. Huge bar as well.
    "Guldstrand" shocks all 4 corners.
    Disk fronts in this pic with the rears soon after.
    Posi rear which made throttle finesse an absolute must or it would kick the tail out at will.
    It would corner like a slot car.
    3 peddle's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom