• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Finally got around to replacing this today. Discovered it a couple months back. Working on my own stuff today and since the guy who made the sway bars is right next door to the shop, I walked over and asked if he could help me out. Said he'd never seen one break like that before. Asked how it happened, I said my best guess is off roading. :laugh:

View attachment 53262

I've actually had the frame mount that those bolt to rip out. Back off on the bar a little and you should be just right is what my guru said. Of course he also believed that if the oil pan wasn't scraping in the turns the car wasn't low enough!

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    C540.....Most cool.
    I see flat tow mounts on the chevell. I bet that one hauled the mail.

Pics of the current project please.

I originally purchased it with no motor/trans and installed a 461bbc, turbo 400 and a 9' rearend. Drove it a few years and decided to a frame notch and mini tubs. Next thing I know, I'm taking the body off the frame and reinforcing the frame also. Slowing going back together, new motor 540ci, paint , rims and tires, fuel system, never ending. Hopefully not too much longer. Fuel and oil lines, some wiring and finish putting the interior back in.
    Old pic

More pics to follow

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Was at my dads today. His neighbor is building the cage for a 1980 Ford LTD II (4 door) for a friend of his. It will sport a single turbo LS. It will be a Power Tour car.

Next to this is his own twin turbo Nissan 240 SX.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I originally purchased it with no motor/trans and installed a 461bbc, turbo 400 and a 9' rearend. Drove it a few years and decided to a frame notch and mini tubs. Next thing I know, I'm taking the body off the frame and reinforcing the frame also. Slowing going back together, new motor 540ci, paint , rims and tires, fuel system, never ending. Hopefully not too much longer. Fuel and oil lines, some wiring and finish putting the interior back in.
    Old pic

More pics to follow

Who built the engine? And is that a quick fuel dominator on top? How fast you plan to run. ET/mph? Can see new radials as pointed out by CM, 275's or 315's?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :cool: on the old late model we had to weld a piece of 1" angle iron to the bottom of the crossmember to keep from denting the oil pan as it entered the corners

On the Tbird we have a whopping 3" ground clearance to the frame (NHRA minimum)
    I can't get an aluminum racing jack under the lemans crossmember without lifting up on the bumper and kicking it under with my foot.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Never knew (or observed) minimum frame clearance on my drag cars. Camaro had to be pushed up on 2X6's before the low-pro jack would fit under the cross member.

Chevyman540

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2013
    LaPorte
    I see the drag radials. 6 or 8 point cage...???

Who built the engine? And is that a quick fuel dominator on top? How fast you plan to run. ET/mph? Can see new radials as pointed out by CM, 275's or 315's?

Churchmouse
    Those are 295 55's on a 10" rim 5 1/2" backspace. Only a 6 point, its more a street car than anything else. I didn't want to be climbing over a bunch.

Thunder
    Engine was built by Rhyne Competition Engines up here in Gary, IN. Its a real mild 10-1 compression pump gas motor. Carb is a Quick fuel 1050 in a 4150 series.
    ET/mph wise I'm hoping 10.0's around 130mph on motor alone. Right now the rearend has 4.30 gears in it, after it goes to the track once I plan on changing to a 3.50 gear.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    god I love those monte carlos. bought the wife an 84 when we were first married. loved that car.

so I said **** on the bike and worked on the vette the rest of the afternoon. got the steering linkage ready for reassembly. much more enjoyable than working on that damn bike.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Nice trip to Rusty's shop today. It was nice getting to meet his Dad too.

Truck did a great job to and fro.

Does have a little trans leak someplace, the drivers side exhaust loosened up and rotated to cause a leak and bottoming out.
    Had to educate a couple vehicles on the trip when they thought the truck might be just for looks.

Going back to the shop tomorrow so mechanic can tweak a couple things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom