Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Truck update

Bell Tire aligned the front end yesterday. They got the steering out of center.
    1.5 turns to the right and 2.5 turns to the left :nuts:

I took it back today and they tell me that all the shims fell out of the drivers side. They blamed the mechanic saying that they didn't have to mess with that side so they didn't check the fasteners.

I called BS and told them they needed to replace the shims and do realignment.
    They wanted me to come back on Monday when another guy was there to do it. They said it was just guess work on how many shims to add before running the alignment again.

I have never done an alignment before but I would think the machine would tell you how much to add.

My my plan is to take it to Rustyhornet tomorrow for a look over so I'm hoping Bell Tire gets it done.

It's been a few years since I've done an alignment using a machine. But yes most machines show some kind of graphic (looks like a bubble level) that shows when a change is made and tells when it meets specs.

The shop I work at doesn't have an alignment machine so it has been some time since I used any. I usually use a caster/camber gauge, two tape measures, toe plates. But that is after I hang plumb bobs and make sure everything is square

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I did get it back after Bell Tire working on it for about four hours. Still not right though. Turning radius good to the left but to the right is too short.

Then the Carb started flooding and dumping gas in the butterfly killing the engine going down the street. Coasted into a parking lot and adjusted the float level close to the bottom of the sight glass. Doing better and not dumping gas out of the overflow into the butterfly.

Called master mechanic Churchmouse. He gave me some good advice and asked where I had purchased my gas from. When I told him I put Super Unleaded from Speedway he let me know his sons car did the same thing on Speedway gas.

Since Bigtanker puts the gas in the tanks for Speedway, this makes it all his fault :stickpoke:

I didn't have time to put some good gas in it from a reputable Station yet due to working in the garage to make a place for it.
    Im going to fill it up on the way to church tomorrow and see how it does. If all is good I'm headed to go see Rusty.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I did get it back after Bell Tire working on it for about four hours. Still not right though. Turning radius good to the left but to the right is too short.

Then the Carb started flooding and dumping gas in the butterfly killing the engine going down the street. Coasted into a parking lot and adjusted the float level close to the bottom of the sight glass. Doing better and not dumping gas out of the overflow into the butterfly.

Called master mechanic Churchmouse. He gave me some good advice and asked where I had purchased my gas from. When I told him I put Super Unleaded from Speedway he let me know his sons car did the same thing on Speedway gas.

Since Bigtanker puts the gas in the tanks for Speedway, this makes it all his fault :stickpoke:

I didn't have time to put some good gas in it from a reputable Station yet due to working in the garage to make a place for it.
    Im going to fill it up on the way to church tomorrow and see how it does. If all is good I'm headed to go see Rusty.
    Don't feel like you have to make it over tomorrow. Don't need something happening on the way over.

For reference, we only use Shell gas in our builds.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    :+1: on the burnout video. But I guess that can wait until it's running right.

As far as the gas goes, IT'S ALL THE SAME. The only difference is the additives. A Mobil terminal will buy gas from a BP refinery. A BP terminal will buy gas from a Marathon refinery and so on. They then add the name brand additives at the loading rack. If the station is not a branded name like Shell, Citgo, Marathon, BP, Mobil etc, the gas in the tanks comes from whatever terminal is selling it the cheapest, with a non-name brand additive.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    And Glueman. I'm guessing you got the gas at the Speedway on the north side of 19. I did deliver premium there Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    :+1: on the burnout video. But I guess that can wait until it's running right.

As far as the gas goes, IT'S ALL THE SAME. The only difference is the additives. A Mobil terminal will buy gas from a BP refinery. A BP terminal will buy gas from a Marathon refinery and so on. They then add the name brand additives at the loading rack. If the station is not a branded name like Shell, Citgo, Marathon, BP, Mobil etc, the gas in the tanks comes from whatever terminal is selling it the cheapest, with a non-name brand additive.

OK. This was a few years back but when using Speedway fuel the bowls would boil off fuel up the vent tube and flood the engine out.

Use Shell/Marathon etc and no issues...???

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    OK. This was a few years back but when using Speedway fuel the bowls would boil off fuel up the vent tube and flood the engine out.

Use Shell/Marathon etc and no issues...???

Wierd stuff happens. I can't explain it. Could possibly be the additive/detergent as that is the only difference between the 2 fuels.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Electric pump or manual? Holley carb? Unless they've changed 'em holley's don't like much over 6 1/2 psi.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wierd stuff happens. I can't explain it. Could possibly be the additive/detergent as that is the only difference between the 2 fuels.

It was the ethonal I believe. Hotter days than yesterday but when the boy would cheap out on fuel the car acted up. I tracked it down to the front float bowl over running the vent tube. I put it in a whole new float assembly and it did not fix it. Started asking him where he was buying gas. Speedway was the culprit. The fuel would boil off in the bowl. Started using Shell and no worry's.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom