Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Very true. make darn sure you have good grounds.

When building up something like this or even more radical I tend to run dedicated grounds. Every component is grounded back the the Neg. post in some way.
    Especially in a bracket car with all that electronic Bravo Sierra. I use 2 Terminals for power distribution or share one. Everything gets a dedicated ground. It just works better. Still ground strap the chassis but do not use it a common.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was a little disappointed in the video that Jason took. The truck sounds way better than the video.
    It has the sound that gets people to walk over where ever I'm at to ask questions about the truck.

Now I haven't heard this motor through the exhaust but the SJ 327 hit a good lick and had a great sound.
    This will be my first Hyd roller motor so it might not sound as good.

This truck will also get driven 500 miles a day sometimes as we head to rod runs so there has to be a good balance between sounding good and not be obnoxious on long trips.

Sucks getting old huh.........:):

I understand.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When building up something like this or even more radical I tend to run dedicated grounds. Every component is grounded back the the Neg. post in some way.
    Especially in a bracket car with all that electronic Bravo Sierra. I use 2 Terminals for power distribution or share one. Everything gets a dedicated ground. It just works better. Still ground strap the chassis but do not use it a common.

Yes sir. I ground the motor to the chassis (with a ground strap not just the motor plates) then I also run a ground from the battery to a ground strip and attach all my grounds through that strip. The electrical system is not a place to be cheap. A few good electrical component suppliers I recommend are. Painless, Ron Francis and Spaghetti Menders they have some really nice stuff

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    People typically don't realize how important grounding is. I had an F350 one time that would run incredibly hot but only at night! Finally figured it out after I had installed some autometer gauges under the dash. I happened to be looking at the temp gauge one evening as I turned on the headlights; at the instant I turned on the headlights the operating temperature jumped about 75 degrees. Headlights off, temp normal. I installed several grounds under the hood the next day and my high water temps went away!:rockwoot:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Whewww FInally! Watching the Winternationals on tv...racing season is back! That means spring is almost here almost time to make the big block rumble and make tires scream for mercy...got 8 full nitrous bottles waiting to get the party started :drool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Whewww FInally! Watching the Winternationals on tv...racing season is back! That means spring is almost here almost time to make the big block rumble and make tires scream for mercy...got 8 full nitrous bottles waiting to get the party started :drool:

I love the smell of roasting Goodyears in the early morning.....:col:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Understood...but then again I love the smell of tire smoke anytime of the day.
    Tire smoke, scent of burning racing fuel belching from the exhaust of a big inch engine, warm sunny days and that means the ladies are wearing less material.....ahhhh bring it on!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Understood...but then again I love the smell of tire smoke anytime of the day.
    Tire smoke, scent of burning racing fuel belching from the exhaust of a big inch engine, warm sunny days and that means the ladies are wearing less material.....ahhhh bring it on!

My favorite time on race day was early and getting the trailer opened up. The park is filling up with racers. Things start to move. Engines fire to do a warm up lap of the grounds. People are hustling about getting things in order. There is a sense of order to all of that.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon

We went to see the Lego Batman movie yesterday. Made a stop on the way, no problems, came out after the movie and it wouldn't start. Check the fuel pressure and had none. $115 for a pump later and a new hole in the bed floor & it running again.

Look at the way the lines were ran, they in a "S" and the vent line was almost crushed because it was on top of a line and the floor had been pushed down.

Yes I know that's not the proper way to get to the pump, but it's a lot easier. It's a plow truck with rust and the floor has holes in it already. I'll weld tabs and screw it back down.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

We went to see the Lego Batman movie yesterday. Made a stop on the way, no problems, came out after the movie and it wouldn't start. Check the fuel pressure and had none. $115 for a pump later and a new hole in the bed floor & it running again.

Look at the way the lines were ran, they in a "S" and the vent line was almost crushed because it was on top of a line and the floor had been pushed down.

Yes I know that's not the proper way to get to the pump, but it's a lot easier. It's a plow truck with rust and the floor has holes in it already. I'll weld tabs and screw it back down.

I've changed a fuel pump in a parking lot. Parked my Sentra at the vet, came back out and no start. Quick test with starting fluid and then called the wife. Luckily the pump was accessible from under the rear seat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've changed a fuel pump in a parking lot. Parked my Sentra at the vet, came back out and no start. Quick test with starting fluid and then called the wife. Luckily the pump was accessible from under the rear seat.

Every stinking time I have had a pump go south it was in a vehicle the tank had to be dropped. And yes, every freaking time the tank was 3/4 or more full.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Every stinking time I have had a pump go south it was in a vehicle the tank had to be dropped. And yes, every freaking time the tank was 3/4 or more full.

I've done quite a few like that myself. I had a Ford Areostar that I filled up the tank at the station. Got back in and no start. It was the fuel pump. Got a tow home. That was a pain in the ass.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've done quite a few like that myself. I had a Ford Areostar that I filled up the tank at the station. Got back in and no start. It was the fuel pump. Got a tow home. That was a pain in the ass.

Last one for me was the 01 Ford Econoline custom we have passed on to the daughter. Huge tank. 35 gallons IMS and it was near full. Took 3 of us to lower it.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Last one for me was the 01 Ford Econoline custom we have passed on to the daughter. Huge tank. 35 gallons IMS and it was near full. Took 3 of us to lower it.

My last one was my Blazer... electric tank pump, almost 3/4 full, middle of January a few years ago, like 10 degrees out, gave dad a ring and he looked at the fuel gauge, looked at the thermometer, and we towed it to the shop, lol... We did NOT feel like messing with it when it was that cold out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom