• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Got the drive shaft installed friday after another trip to the Machine shop to get the rear u-joint swapped out. They installed the wrong u-joint. I needed a 1310 to GM 3R series instead of the 3R they installed in it.

1CCC60B0-EC46-4645-BAC2-0BFC27D56A74_zpsnrwqfvpp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got the drive shaft installed friday after another trip to the Machine shop to get the rear u-joint swapped out. They installed the wrong u-joint. I needed a 1310 to GM 3R series instead of the 3R they installed in it.

1CCC60B0-EC46-4645-BAC2-0BFC27D56A74_zpsnrwqfvpp.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

You would think this would be a standard thing but Nnnnnoooooooooooooo

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Because of the extra trips back the machine shop the Mgr had a couple Tee shirts (one for me and one for my mechanic), nice hat, a dozen golf balls and a spicer u-joint 8 gig USB drive.

Holy snikies, they hooked me up with some swag.

Now on to the wiring. I was shocked at the amount of wires that had been cut and just twisted together.
    The truck is going to get a complete rewire when I do the Dakota Digital Dash panel, vintage air and new steering column.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    You would think this would be a standard thing but Nnnnnoooooooooooooo

The truck has the factory 10 bolt in it and I can only speculate that the yoke is original but the Mgr at machine shop said almost all rear GM u-joints are the 3R.

I dont have enough experience with it yet to agree or disagree.

3E79CB52-1E17-4FB7-BE24-16E157779926_zpszo0hfkny.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The motor is in and running. It sounds pretty good.

Now to get the wiring done so it doesnt burn to the ground. It amazes me how bad someone can butcher up a vehicle.
    The wiring under the hood and behind the dash was all cut up and or had insulation on the wires stripped back, then had a wire just wrapped around and taped up.

Here is a link from the shops FB page of Dewey Oscar running.

https://www.facebook.com/al.cauthen/posts/1585924721422869

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Now to get the wiring done so it doesnt burn to the ground. It amazes me how bad someone can butcher up a vehicle.
    The wiring under the hood and behind the dash was all cut up and or had insulation on the wires stripped back, then had a wire just wrapped around and taped up.

It never surprises me how poorly some people address wiring. I have done a lot of re-wire work on peoples race cars. Chassis ground on a Hi-perf vehicle is just not the best idea. Lazy.
    Skinning wires as you describe is dangerous.

Truck need to be LOUDER..........:lmfao:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

It's running that is a big step and I am sure it only fuels the paspassito get it on the road

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It never surprises me how poorly some people address wiring. I have done a lot of re-wire work on peoples race cars. Chassis ground on a Hi-perf vehicle is just not the best idea. Lazy.

Very true. Wiring is one of those things that not only needs to be done right but also needs to be done as a clean installation. Terminals need to have quality crimps, heat shrink (not the cheapo crap) quality wire etc. And Do NOT use those cheap hard plastic coated butt connectors and terminals and under no circumstance I mean forget about scotch locks. Now I admit I don't usually solder everything. Mostly I prefer open barrel butt connectors and terminals with a solid crimp and I use Motorcraft heat shrink, and make darn sure you have good grounds.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    New Gardner exhaust system on the LS6. This company was recommended to us by Rick Nelson. They make exact reproductions of the original. It was supposed to bolt up in "one hour". Yeah that didn't happen. New engine/trans mounts later and it finally fits!

View attachment 53118

View attachment 53119

View attachment 53120

IMG_6116.JPG

Really nice exhaust system with exact reproduction hangers. As it should be for $2000. :n00b:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I had installed headers on friends cars during the 70s with various degrees of fit. When I started the Charger project TTI headers were suggested and I wasn't disappointed.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I was a little disappointed in the video that Jason took. The truck sounds way better than the video.
    It has the sound that gets people to walk over where ever I'm at to ask questions about the truck.

Now I haven't heard this motor through the exhaust but the SJ 327 hit a good lick and had a great sound.
    This will be my first Hyd roller motor so it might not sound as good.

This truck will also get driven 500 miles a day sometimes as we head to rod runs so there has to be a good balance between sounding good and not be obnoxious on long trips.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I was a little disappointed in the video that Jason took. The truck sounds way better than the video.
    It has the sound that gets people to walk over where ever I'm at to ask questions about the truck.

Now I haven't heard this motor through the exhaust but the SJ 327 hit a good lick and had a great sound.
    This will be my first Hyd roller motor so it might not sound as good.

This truck will also get driven 500 miles a day sometimes as we head to rod runs so there has to be a good balance between sounding good and not be obnoxious on long trips.
    This is why I like turbo mufflers. That's what I put on my car, they sound really good yet aren't obnoxious. They can get slightly annoying now on the highway since I've cut the tailpipes and it exits right behind the rear wheels. Does not help that I don't have overdrive or that there is no carpet or sound deadening in the car...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom