Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The ZZ383 is actually a hyd roller motor.

The compression is under 10 and they use pretty cheap rods (Powdered Metal)

Here is the PDF: https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...2_pdfs/zz383-deluxe-crate-engine-19301295.pdf

I hoping to build my 350 motor into a 383 stroker with SCAT rods and cran.
    Good pistons and Alum heads.

I had not looked into them that deep. North of 400 is achievable with a flat tappet that dose not require a converter.
    Those rods will take some not enhanced (nitrous) abuse.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Check out Ohio crankshaft. I built 2 rotating assembly's (383) with their parts and they were stellar.
    I still have 1 of them.
    Their parts may be ok, but I would not recommend having them build an engine...

We have been extremely pleased with Scat forgings. They are perfect for a street engine. One of their lightweight options is what will be going in whatever I decide to build for a Poncho.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I had not looked into them that deep. North of 400 is achievable with a flat tappet that dose not require a converter.
    Those rods will take some not enhanced (nitrous) abuse.
    From what I have read on powdered rods, they are stronger than cast rods. I believe most LS applications run powdered rods. Perfectly suitable for street use.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Man it is crazy what people are asking for a clapped out chevelle. 8-9k depending on whether its been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 40 years or 45 years. Stupid money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man it is crazy what people are asking for a clapped out chevelle. 8-9k depending on whether its been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for 40 years or 45 years. Stupid money.

They watch to days of Barret Jackson and a Mecums so they think the car is retirement investment. I am deadly serious when negotiating on a car/truck.

That 66 Wagon was cool but when I get into one it gets everything replaced. The old bushings are shot and I would bet even money they had never been touched. Rod ends ball joints brake lines you name it......it is all shot from age.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They watch to days of Barret Jackson and a Mecums so they think the car is retirement investment. I am deadly serious when negotiating on a car/truck.

That 66 Wagon was cool but when I get into one it gets everything replaced. The old bushings are shot and I would bet even money they had never been touched. Rod ends ball joints brake lines you name it......it is all shot from age.
    Oh yeah.... Most people just want money. They don't realize how much work and money it takes to make these old cars safe. I had a plan on the lemans, unfortunately it needs an engine first.... So the manual drum brakes and the rusty brake/fuel lines will have to do for a little bit longer. :):

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Anymore when looking for a project for myself, I just factor in all that stuff needs replaced. I won't pay more for something because it's "special". People wanting more money for a Malibu vs a Lemans? Ok so the Chevy is supposed to be cheaper to build, but if the initial car costs twice as much, I can spend the extra I saved by buying the Lemans and just build it that much better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh yeah.... Most people just want money. They don't realize how much work and money it takes to make these old cars safe. I had a plan on the lemans, unfortunately it needs an engine first.... So the manual drum brakes and the rusty brake/fuel lines will have to do for a little bit longer. :):

Exactly. Just doing the brakes in total is a major undertaking even with a lift. No lift and it is a real chore.
    Drop/flush or replace the fuel tank and new fuel lines. Plus the straps as they never live through the process.
    Body mounts, frame/suspension bushings, wiring.....God the old wiring.
    When I did my 65 Biscayne the harness was fair so I left it intact. It was factory all the way through the car. Everything extra as in Fuel pumps (2, 1 for engine and 1 for Nitrous) electric fans on the Radiator and the electric water pump, the electric shifter (Shift Noid) and all the relay's and such were on a completely separate harness.

In the pic you can see one of the added terminal strips to run the under hood accessory's just behind the MSD 6-AL box.
    The heavy cable and gray connector is the power source for the extra harness.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anymore when looking for a project for myself, I just factor in all that stuff needs replaced. I won't pay more for something because it's "special". People wanting more money for a Malibu vs a Lemans? Ok so the Chevy is supposed to be cheaper to build, but if the initial car costs twice as much, I can spend the extra I saved by buying the Lemans and just build it that much better.

Bingo.

$4K for a worn the hell out old truck is ****ing insane.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Brakes are fun! I'm looking forward to converting mine to 4 wheel discs. Will be somewhat of a challenge as it will involve sourcing a bunch of parts from lots of different sources. No one makes a kit for what I want to do, but all the parts are out there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brakes are fun! I'm looking forward to converting mine to 4 wheel discs. Will be somewhat of a challenge as it will involve sourcing a bunch of parts from lots of different sources. No one makes a kit for what I want to do, but all the parts are out there.

You would be surprised how easy this can be. I did the Biscane. The rear calipers were from a Cadillac from the mid 80's so I had a functional E-brake.
    The fronts I can not remember the source. The brackests I made myself and shimmed the calipers to center on the rotors.

Buddy manages a parts store. We just casually walked the rows and found what we needed.
    The master cylinder was a 68 Vette 4 wheel disk brake piece. No power booster. The engine was a full Mechanical roller so Vacuum was scarce enough.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You would be surprised how easy this can be. I did the Biscane. The rear calipers were from a Cadillac from the mid 80's so I had a functional E-brake.
    The fronts I can not remember the source. The brackests I made myself and shimmed the calipers to center on the rotors.

Buddy manages a parts store. We just casually walked the rows and found what we needed.
    The master cylinder was a 68 Vette 4 wheel disk brake piece. No power booster. The engine was a full Mechanical roller so Vacuum was scarce enough.
    There are better options now. Guys are using 98-02 LS1 F body rears to retain the parking brake. The fronts are coming off a c5 or c6 Corvette. Master will most likely be the same you used and I won't be using a booster either. Tons of companies making the brackets to fit it all up. Actually really excited to start on that project, but not sure when I'll have the funds to do so.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are better options now. Guys are using 98-02 LS1 F body rears to retain the parking brake. The fronts are coming off a c5 or c6 Corvette. Master will most likely be the same you used and I won't be using a booster either. Tons of companies making the brackets to fit it all up. Actually really excited to start on that project, but not sure when I'll have the funds to do so.

Wow....things have come along nicely.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom