• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm back to exploring options of building a Pontiac to stick back in my Pontiac... Car just needs a fresh engine in it, I don't have the time to tear into a big project like swapping an LS in it right now... I can keep the 350 in it for the time being and start in on the 400 I have for it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Let me get some numbers off the cam box tomorrow.
    What Carb and manifold is on the 327...??

The 327 has a performer RPM intake manifold. The current carb is a Holley 390 that was tuned by Buddy Bakers crew.

I'm not sure what intake is currently on the 350. It has been covered up in the shop for about 12 years. I pulled it from my 73 Z28 when I dropped in the BB 402. It is a 300 hp 350 with double hump heads.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 327 has a performer RPM intake manifold. The current carb is a Holley 390 that was tuned by Buddy Bakers crew.

I'm not sure what intake is currently on the 350. It has been covered up in the shop for about 12 years. I pulled it from my 73 Z28 when I dropped in the BB 402. It is a 300 hp 350 with double hump heads.

The cam is a 268 comp hydr. piece. So rusty can kiss my patoot.....:p

It is a revised profile off the 350 350 with a bit more of this and that.
    Put a .030 over (355) together for my sons Monti Carlo with open chamber heads (the double humps are closed but offer more compression) with the Edelbrock Stealth manifold and a tuned 750 Vac. secondary. The cam I mentioned and an MSD distributor/hooked headers.
    Made 420 at the crank on good pump gas. Had a very nice rumble and ran like a scalded cat.
    Daily driver. Cam profile did not require a stall converter.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The cam is a 268 comp hydr. piece. So rusty can kiss my patoot.....:p

It is a revised profile off the 350 350 with a bit more of this and that.
    Put a .030 over (355) together for my sons Monti Carlo with open chamber heads (the double humps are closed but offer more compression) with the Edelbrock Stealth manifold and a tuned 750 Vac. secondary. The cam I mentioned and an MSD distributor/hooked headers.
    Made 420 at the crank on good pump gas. Had a very nice rumble and ran like a scalded cat.
    Daily driver. Cam profile did not require a stall converter.

Sounds like a good setup.

I do have a 3500 converter so I can withstand a pretty good size bump stick.

What pistons did you run?

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Got started on the paint revival on the old Buick today.

The passenger side is mostly done. Came out well, not quite as good as I was hoping, but the paint is pretty dead.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm out of town on business watching the Velocity channel. Currently watching a show that I believe is called Cars and stripes. Looks like the kind of stuff you do RH.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Hell I think the 290 HP 350 is right around $2000. Do some mild upgrades to it and you'll have a solid piece for about the price of machining to have one built.

It's tough to beat a crate motor deal. I just had a 390 long block rebuilt, they did rings and bearings as well as hardened seats installed in the heads and it was just over $1500. Damn it's been a while since I've had an engine rebuilt!:n00b:

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So for the past couple months I've been doing some thinking.... I thought I wanted to go one direction and did talk myself into it.... Then I started to question my decision. There was just one thing I could not get over and everytime I thought about it, I cried a little inside.

So without further ado, here is the future power plant of the old beater. Needs a little work :n00b:. I think I have a plan.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Rusty, I think building the poncho motor is cool. They may not have the cred that the chevy motors have, but for a nice street car, they can be plenty of fun.

I would put a chevy motor in a Pontiac, but if I had a Pontiac motor needing a home, why not put in a Pontiac?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, you already know it will not run with the LS offering and it weighs a metric ton. I imagine the 350 is very close to it weight wise.
    Do as your heart desires but when I smoke your a$$ with my old school 383 there will be no tears OK.

Straight line man I know my limits.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Idk, CM.... This car is being built for the twisties, but it should hold its own in a straight line. This 400 is getting stroked, just gotta decide if I wanna go 433 and be able to rev it a little more or go 461.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Rusty, I think building the poncho motor is cool. They may not have the cred that the chevy motors have, but for a nice street car, they can be plenty of fun.

I would put a chevy motor in a Pontiac, but if I had a Pontiac motor needing a home, why not put in a Pontiac?
    The car just needs a fresh engine before summer next year. I had decided to go LS powered, but after seriously thinking about it, I just can't not put a Pontiac back in it, plus I want to be different. Everyone is doing LS swaps, not that there is anything wrong with that. The 350 poncho in it is beyond in need of replacing and I have this 400 just sitting... I also have access to whom I would consider one of the best engine builders in the country, he ain't gonna be around forever.... She will be balanced and blueprinted, full roller.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom