Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just found out today that the harmonic balancer bolt hole are stripped out and the mounting hole in the crank is very loose too.

The mechanics want to build another motor. That's not happening. The 327 small journal is staying in the truck.

I'm teetering between Helicoil and just going up one size on the holes.

The three holes in the HB are 3/8" 24 and the crank is 7/16" 20

The motor has been computer balanced so I want to keep all the components together and not change them.

Anybody done this on a HB and the crank in the motor

Yes I have. I had the pre-bolt balancer motor in my 64 ElCamino. The balancer would work off the crank at high RPMs so I pulled the radiator, raised the engine and drilled the crank snout for a retaining bolt. It worked.

I have never done a thread repair but I would as soon to an insert over a helicoil but that would require pulling the crank.
    If you can get a drill into there straight and level the coil would most likely be fine. Remember the crank snout is pretty hard material.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yes I have. I had the pre-bolt balancer motor in my 64 ElCamino. The balancer would work off the crank at high RPMs so I pulled the radiator, raised the engine and drilled the crank snout for a retaining bolt. It worked.

I have never done a thread repair but I would as soon to an insert over a helicoil but that would require pulling the crank.
    If you can get a drill into there straight and level the coil would most likely be fine. Remember the crank snout is pretty hard material.

The motor is out of the truck sitting on a stand so it would be easy access.

I'm thinking the helicoil would make the same size hole as going up to 1/2" fine thread. Then just increase the size of the washer hole.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The motor is out of the truck sitting on a stand so it would be easy access.

A bit tends to follow a drilled hole. 2 man job. 1 with the lube and 1 on the drill motor. Keep it wet. Try not to stick it.
    The tap has to start straight in the hole. When it binds back it off to clear the chip. Keep it wet as well.
    Backing it out and blowing the chips out of the hole is required.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    A bit tends to follow a drilled hole. 2 man job. 1 with the lube and 1 on the drill motor. Keep it wet. Try not to stick it.
    The tap has to start straight in the hole. When it binds back it off to clear the chip. Keep it wet as well.
    Backing it out and blowing the chips out of the hole is required.

I agree completely. Go slow and take my time will be the method.

I drilled and pinned the studs in the heads sitting on the kitchen table about 15 years ago. Patience is the key.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree completely. Go slow and take my time will be the method.

I drilled and pinned the studs in the heads sitting on the kitchen table about 15 years ago. Patience is the key.

You will be spinning a much larger drill bit and it will be hungry. To slow and it will grab and stall...to fast and you can take the edges off. Just right and feed it slowly.
    Lots of "OIL" not WD or light lube.

Enjoy.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Road trip in the beast tomorrow. Cannonballing to Lafayette and back to get some parts pin striped by my cousin. Gave her a bath today, first time all year I think. She cleans up well! Would post a pic but photobucket says no!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    My brother had a '69 Corvette. It had the 350/350HP motor. At least in that year the LT-1 was the next "up level" engine and it was rated at 370HP. The 350/350 was a nice motor and though it was in a Vette, it was still pretty strong.

One of my friend's dad worked for Chevrolet(I grew up in Flint, MI) used to get all kinds of neat cars through the pilot line at one of the GM plants. '66 SS Impala, 71 Chevelle SS, but my favorite was a 72 LT-1 Z-28. It was sweet. None of those cars were configured in a way that normal folks could buy.

The rest of the story is that he was fired in later years near the end of his career for all of his "inside" deals.

And, yes I am a GM guy. In Flint the only question was do you like Buick, Pontiac, Olds or Chevy? There was no room for Fords and Chryslers, lol.

But, alas, I'm getting older and a little softer so I can appreciate models from all three makers.:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Made it to Lafayette. Had to make a brief stop at work before leaving town. Had a couple customers stop in, one dropping off a 37 Buick for detail work and the other having me look at his for future detail work. I forgot pix of the Buick, but snapped one of the other.

All original survivor! Wow.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My cousin got the main part I needed done today. Laid some white stripes on this. Looks really good!

Then had him outline the number and circle. Really happy with the way it turned out!

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Made it to Lafayette. Had to make a brief stop at work before leaving town. Had a couple customers stop in, one dropping off a 37 Buick for detail work and the other having me look at his for future detail work. I forgot pix of the Buick, but snapped one of the other.

All original survivor! Wow.

Now that is an absolute beauty!! Only thing that would make it better would be a if it were a Boss351. My favorite color blue also...I want one

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My cousin got the main part I needed done today. Laid some white stripes on this. Looks really good!

Then had him outline the number and circle. Really happy with the way it turned out!

I dig the added white outline around the number & circle. You definitely get to play with some very nice cars that most of us wish we had

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Watching a bit of Ken Block this morning. I've seen this several times. Still enjoy it. He has GYMKHANA 9 out but I think this is still the best one.
    [video=youtube_share;5qanlirrRWs]http://youtu.be/5qanlirrRWs[/video]

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom