Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Branch Heads? When I get more time, I'll have to tell you the story of when I met the man, Jerry Branch. He gave me (just an enthusiastic kid at the time) a tour of his shop (dyno, flow bench, machine line) and treated me like I was his most important customer. This was ~1996 and he was THEE Man, when it came to Harley cylinder heads. Good stuff.

I happened across a set used from a friend that could not get one of them to hold a head gasket.
    It was a bit off for some reason. Had a high spot on the exhaust side. Called Branch and they told me to ship them both back after asking what I was using them on.
    When they got them I received a call and spent half an hour on the phone with Jerry and he dialed me in an a few things concerning valve train. With this info I changed everything I had in the engine. He replaced the bad head and completely rebuilt the other one. There was a long note in the box when It came back.
    What I learned from that one conversation set me on the path. That bike ran so very well. Never ever was beat on the street and I ran the thing ragged.

Traded it to a friend that still has it for this bone stock 89 Springer softail and a load of cash my way.
    It immediately morphed into this with another Branch head stroker motor just bigger...:)
    That is my MIL smiling ear to ear.

After 2 years I got bored and did this......Still using Branch beads.
    Yes, I am a fan.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got behind the wheel of that LS-6 today. Yes please.

Wonder what it would be like if it was full on LS-6 un-tampered with......huh.....do-ya.
    I know.
    I have owned a full on Hemi. I have owned and LS-6 powered camaro. My buddy had an LS-6 powered Nova.
    Both LS cars would out run the Hemi. Not a walk off by any means but a solid car length every time.
    The Hemi guys will never admit it but the LS-6 was the real deal Neal.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I only got to drive it around the lot as we were testing brakes and making sure the clutch wasn't slipping. Yes I'd like to know what it's like in all of its solid lifter glory. Only got on it a little bit, she lifts right up and scoots! That's a car I would like to take out on a country road.

I've often heard all the Mopar guys brag about the Hemi's, but I've heard way more stories about how guys couldn't keep them running... The LS-6 is the top dog when it comes to the hay day of muscle cars.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I only got to drive it around the lot as we were testing brakes and making sure the clutch wasn't slipping. Yes I'd like to know what it's like in all of its solid lifter glory. Only got on it a little bit, she lifts right up and scoots! That's a car I would like to take out on a country road.

I've often heard all the Mopar guys brag about the Hemi's, but I've heard way more stories about how guys couldn't keep them running... The LS-6 is the top dog when it comes to the hay day of muscle cars.

The hemi's had some valve train issues if you pushed them. I pushed mine and did some damage.
    Back in the day a guy named Chet Herbert was making a full mechanical roller camshaft and I was managing a national speed shop at the time.
    Pulled the elephant out and did the valve train upgrades. Doug Thorley fender well headers. Up-graded the Carbs. Had the distributor dealt with.
    It really really stepped up the package.
    Thing is, when I pulled my engine out my buddy pulled his LS out and dropped it off at Schmidt automotive. A crane dual pattern flat tappet, some compression (pistons) and a serious balance. That damn thing was still faster than my Hemi.
    The Dodge weighed 3550 with a 383 in it. The Hemi tipped the scales up a few hundred if memory serves.

The heads on that Hemi were near impossible to pull by yourself.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really don't mind doing sheet metal work. The part that sucks is the climbing in and out/contorting into position to gain acess and then only realize I need that tool off the work bench.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That is not limited to sheet metal work inside a car. :):

Many times have I grabbed what I thought were all the necessary tools and climbed under dash. Ha! Nope forgot one.... Guess I'll just lay here a minute while I say dirty things to the car.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is not limited to sheet metal work inside a car. :):

Many times have I grabbed what I thought were all the necessary tools and climbed under dash. Ha! Nope forgot one.... Guess I'll just lay here a minute while I say dirty things to the car.

LMFAO!! Been there buddy. As a big guy I hate crawling under the dash but that will make me start dropping F bombs like it's just a comma in a sentence.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom