Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Bump.

Painted an old Stingray frame tonight. Guy wanted it to match his "GTO" wagon to use as a "pit" bike. I wasn't very excited because he supplied the paint and its single stage metallic. I've never sprayed anything like that. Lots easier than I thought it would be. No big deal in the end and it came out looking great! Still not as good as a base/clear....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Bump.

Painted an old Stingray frame tonight. Guy wanted it to match his "GTO" wagon to use as a "pit" bike. I wasn't very excited because he supplied the paint and its single stage metallic. I've never sprayed anything like that. Lots easier than I thought it would be. No big deal in the end and it came out looking great! Still not as good as a base/clear....

We used a single stage on the 69 Camaro.

This is nice rusty

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am going to get the S/S ready to move next week. Re-wire the air ride so there is some ground clearance.
    Pull and straighten the steering center link so the front wheels track straight again.
    Then out to a buddys pole barn to wait its turn at the fab shop for tubs.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not to drift this thread but since it is about cars still I have been thinking of buying something in the near future as my "retirement" vehicle. I still have about 10 years or so b4 that day will come but I could enjoy it and work on it while still employed and hopefully have it all straightened out by the time that day does come.

I'm not looking for a lot of work at this point. Been there, done that. At my point in life, I would want something that needs that final 20% done to it.

So I have been looking at old cars naturally but got to thinking that once us baby boomers are done with wanting old cars, it won't be worth much and I already know my kids don't want them. So I was thinking of getting a truck or a Jeep. Both of those will have uses to people, even the younger generations and in the case of the Jeep the values will hold.

What is shocking me though is the prices of trucks and Jeeps! Have I been out of vehicle buying too long? Is this a last ditch effort by our generation to make some money on cars? I mean, really, $9000 for 35 year old CJ-5's? 70's era Chevy pick-ups for 5 figures?

I guess this is kind of a rant, but when and why are used vehicles so costly? I mean we have seen many examples of grossly overpriced cars on this thread alone. Are they really getting this much money for these cars?

:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not to drift this thread but since it is about cars still I have been thinking of buying something in the near future as my "retirement" vehicle. I still have about 10 years or so b4 that day will come but I could enjoy it and work on it while still employed and hopefully have it all straightened out by the time that day does come.

I'm not looking for a lot of work at this point. Been there, done that. At my point in life, I would want something that needs that final 20% done to it.

So I have been looking at old cars naturally but got to thinking that once us baby boomers are done with wanting old cars, it won't be worth much and I already know my kids don't want them. So I was thinking of getting a truck or a Jeep. Both of those will have uses to people, even the younger generations and in the case of the Jeep the values will hold.

What is shocking me though is the prices of trucks and Jeeps! Have I been out of vehicle buying too long? Is this a last ditch effort by our generation to make some money on cars? I mean, really, $9000 for 35 year old CJ-5's? 70's era Chevy pick-ups for 5 figures?

I guess this is kind of a rant, but when and why are used vehicles so costly? I mean we have seen many examples of grossly overpriced cars on this thread alone. Are they really getting this much money for these cars?

These idiots watch a Mecums or Barret Jackson and think a well rusted and beat the hell up 36 year old anything is worth something.
    Well yeah they are worth something but not that much something.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

A couple things that you mention is what has me looking elsewhere career wise... I really really like the old stuff, but the people's that are interested in that stuff are getting older. How long will it be before that Hemi mopar that sold for over a mil 10 years ago, could be bought at an estate sale for $10k? We've seen it with model T's and A's, the nicest examples in the world can be had for $10-$15k....

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A couple things that you mention is what has me looking elsewhere career wise... I really really like the old stuff, but the people's that are interested in that stuff are getting older. How long will it be before that Hemi mopar that sold for over a mil 10 years ago, could be bought at an estate sale for $10k? We've seen it with model T's and A's, the nicest examples in the world can be had for $10-$15k....

Exactly. Ask a millennial about 60's and 70's muscle cars and see how many show any interest at all. Now talk about mountain bikes and kayaks and you will get a much more interested response. They are not into collecting anything and to them, what good is a car that passes everything but the gas station and doesn't even have bluetooth capability!:)

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Exactly. Ask a millennial about 60's and 70's muscle cars and see how many show any interest at all. Now talk about mountain bikes and kayaks and you will get a much more interested response. They are not into collecting anything and to them, what good is a car that passes everything but the gas station and doesn't even have bluetooth capability!:)
    Hey now. Careful. I am one millennial who cares. :)

Nothing wrong with Bluetooth in a muscle car, we installed it in our project Roadrunner. Pretty damn sweet!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Oops! Sorry. I should have said most millennials. :) You must have grown up around it?
    I need to scan these old pics....

Little Rusty in daddy's '63 lemans, circa '99 or so.

I am different than most of my generation. I collect all kinds of crap... Dad raised me on HotWheels, old cars, old music and old bicycles. The way I see the world, Thomas Jefferson was the greatest man that ever lived, Mozart is my favorite composer, Lynyrd Skynyrd is the greatest band ever, Bon Scott was a way better singer than Brian Johnson, nothing beats a late 60's GM car as far as reliability and simplicity, the only bicycle is a Chicago built Schwinn.... I could go on, but I have to get back to work!

Oh and I believe Robert Johnson really did sign a deal with the devil!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Rusty....if you are one of the best at what you do they will seek you out.
    I have millennials asking me constantly to build them or work on their bikes. Their dads/uncles knew me and they have seen my bikes.
    Young man that I have known since he was pooping green is dead in my butt to build him a hardtail Hot Rod Harley. I turn down 4 or more ground up builds every year.
    The work is out there. Be one of the best. Put your work out there and they will seek you out.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom