• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ever check out the badlands in Attica? They do some rally events there, though it may be a little different than what you are referring too.
    I have not. I have thought about pulling the lowering springs out, installing a lift kit with some all terrains and some off road lights... Just need to find a desert then.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have not. I have thought about pulling the lowering springs out, installing a lift kit with some all terrains and some off road lights... Just need to find a desert then.
    Like this?
    894fab9d6bd0f4ccca1cb8c9fe524811.jpg

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This was sitting outside the shop this morning. Longtime customer. Starter just clicking. Bench tested good, engine not frozen, connections cleaned and it works perfect.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I wanted to get opinions of the ones a lot smarter than me on here. I am going to look at a 66 Riviera with a 425 Nailhead that has a 2x4bbl setup. I think the intake and carbs were pulled off a late 66 GS but not original to this car. Before anyone chimes in with "buy a Mustang, Cameron, etc." I like different. I just want solid runner that will not need a lot. I know nothing about Buicks of that era. Are the Nailheads good, solid engines? Needs paint someday but what it has works for a runner/driver. I do not have pictures as the person selling has not posted it online and does not want a bunch of tire kickers. Anything to look for?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wanted to get opinions of the ones a lot smarter than me on here. I am going to look at a 66 Riviera with a 425 Nailhead that has a 2x4bbl setup. I think the intake and carbs were pulled off a late 66 GS but not original to this car. Before anyone chimes in with "buy a Mustang, Cameron, etc." I like different. I just want solid runner that will not need a lot. I know nothing about Buicks of that era. Are the Nailheads good, solid engines? Needs paint someday but what it has works for a runner/driver. I do not have pictures as the person selling has not posted it online and does not want a bunch of tire kickers. Anything to look for?

The nailhead is a solid reliable runner.

Pics please.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have decided to do a sailor dive into an empty pool.

I just set up an appointment with a serious fabricator buddy to look at my 64 for tubs and a 12 bolt.
    There was a day I would do this myself but the car is a convertible and I am just past rolling around under it with a plasma and a welder.

I need an intervention.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I would never advise anyone to buy a mustang or a camaro. I'm just like you, I like different. I hardly ever see those year Rivi's. I like the look of the Nailhead engines and they have a really cool sound to them. Biggest thing to look for is rust, anything else can be repaired easily, I don't think there are many if any body parts available for those cars. I could be wrong. I'm with the mouse, if you can get pics and have questions, please ask.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have decided to do a sailor dive into an empty pool.

I just set up an appointment with a serious fabricator buddy to look at my 64 for tubs and a 12 bolt.
    There was a day I would do this myself but the car is a convertible and I am just past rolling around under it with a plasma and a welder.

I need an intervention.
    :nuts: Lowriders don't need tubs.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Newest project. Doing this for the original owner, 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. He delivered newspapers on this bike back in the day. Sadly, it's not a desirable bike, maybe worth $150 in really nice shape. He wants it fully restored, which is gonna cost considerably more than that... I don't question it, it'll be an easy project for me. I can consider this a "hot rod" right?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Newest project. Doing this for the original owner, 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. He delivered newspapers on this bike back in the day. Sadly, it's not a desirable bike, maybe worth $150 in really nice shape. He wants it fully restored, which is gonna cost considerably more than that... I don't question it, it'll be an easy project for me. I can consider this a "hot rod" right?

Yes you can.

I wanted this bike when I was 14 (1964) but the tank light Murray was cheaper by a full $15 if memory serves.
    That was a lot of money then.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yes you can.

I wanted this bike when I was 14 (1964) but the tank light Murray was cheaper by a full $15 if memory serves.
    That was a lot of money then.
    Yes the Schwinns were the most expensive of the bikes back then. Quality could not be matched though, even to this day Chicago built Schwinns are some of the best factory built bikes ever made.

The only really "cool" part about this one is it's got the 2 speed kickback hub, kinda unusual on a lower end bike like this. I have not been inside one of these 2 speed automatic hubs yet, this will be fun. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes the Schwinns were the most expensive of the bikes back then. Quality could not be matched though, even to this day Chicago built Schwinns are some of the best factory built bikes ever made.

The only really "cool" part about this one is it's got the 2 speed kickback hub, kinda unusual on a lower end bike like this. I have not been inside one of these 2 speed automatic hubs yet, this will be fun. :)

I would imagine it only needs a really good clean and lube.
    The 2 speed models were more money than the base models. There was a Schwinn shop about a mile from my house when I was a kid. I did buy a lot of parts from them and eventually bought a Schwinn Varsity. I had that bike until just a few years ago. Gave it to a friend that restored it with his son.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom