Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    GM just got it right with those cars.
    Very nice.

Funny thing is CM, I'm not sorry for letting that one go. It was kinda cobbled by the previous owner though I could have made it right. The big block was gone and a small block was in it.

I am sorry I let my '66 Tempest go though. It was rough but complete right down to having the original wheels and hubcaps. Would be a nice resto-rod now.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Had a LS-6 expert confirm the chevelle is the real deal. All the numbers are in place and he had heard of this car before. He said its one of 4 he's ever heard of built with the open 3:31 rear end. Sadly, only time you'll hear anyone say this, someone has put a posi unit and 3:73s in... Car has also had a hydraulic cam swapped in. I hate to sound like a purist here, but there are cars that even I wouldn't mess with. This one deserves to be restored proper back to 100% stock. It's most likely the only one ever produced with all its strange options. The owner has been informed and he's thinking about the next step.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had a LS-6 expert confirm the chevelle is the real deal. All the numbers are in place and he had heard of this car before. He said its one of 4 he's ever heard of built with the open 3:31 rear end. Sadly, only time you'll hear anyone say this, someone has put a posi unit and 3:73s in... Car has also had a hydraulic cam swapped in. I hate to sound like a purist here, but there are cars that even I wouldn't mess with. This one deserves to be restored proper back to 100% stock. It's most likely the only one ever produced with all its strange options. The owner has been informed and he's thinking about the next step.

The gears are a common swap. I have done this myself to tune a car to my driving style which is Bonzo Cave man.

The Cam was most likely done by a Lazy MFr that did not know how to run the rack and was to freaking tight to pay for it.
    Those engines had a distinct idle. Music befitting the era.
    500 pony's was an easy mark to hit with these power trains and 500 street ponys is just to much fun.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I do feel quite honored to be in the presence of this greatness. I have learned lots and know would be able to tell on my own if one was the real deal. Couple special pieces to look for that only the real car, or one parted out would have.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This reminds me of a friend of mine who had an original '70 Monte Carlo, 454 4-speed, non SS car. It was one of 3XX ever made. One day I saw it and it had these fugly whitewall tires on it. When I asked him why, he said that was what came on it from the factory.

I get it but I would have had to run something different. Save those for another situation.:)

I'd definitely swap the cam out but the gears? No harm in that and they could easily be switched back. Like CM my driving style prefers both back wheels spinning. Or hooking up, whatever mood I happen to be in at the time I let the clutch out.;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This reminds me of a friend of mine who had an original '70 Monte Carlo, 454 4-speed, non SS car. It was one of 3XX ever made. One day I saw it and it had these fugly whitewall tires on it. When I asked him why, he said that was what came on it from the factory.

I get it but I would have had to run something different. Save those for another situation.:)

I'd definitely swap the cam out but the gears? No harm in that and they could easily be switched back. Like CM my driving style prefers both back wheels spinning. Or hooking up, whatever mood I happen to be in at the time I let the clutch out.;)

I have a tendency to drive sideways when possible.
    Having let all the Hot Rods find new homes I have been altering my plans for the 64. I need to have something on tap for that occasion that it will absolutely be required.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I understand the fun part of the gears, but if it were mine my OCD would kick in and it would have to be right. It would still get driven a lot. No trailer queens allowed in Rusty's life. Would be a really fun car to run in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drags.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand the fun part of the gears, but if it were mine my OCD would kick in and it would have to be right. It would still get driven a lot. No trailer queens allowed in Rusty's life. Would be a really fun car to run in the Pure Stock Muscle Car drags.

The taller gear would change the power band. Does it have a wide ratio box in it. short 1st gear and a wide spread up the numbers.
    It should be a fine spline M-22

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a tendency to drive sideways when possible.
    Having let all the Hot Rods find new homes I have been altering my plans for the 64. I need to have something on tap for that occasion that it will absolutely be required.
    I've never been much for a tire spinner... I enjoy hitting corners above recommended speeds though. Couple weeks back in the lemans I hit a cloverleaf on 69 pretty quick, when I got out of it she let me know by ticking all the way home that she didn't like that...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've never been much for a tire spinner... I enjoy hitting corners above recommended speeds though. Couple weeks back in the lemans I hit a cloverleaf on 69 pretty quick, when I got out of it she let me know by ticking all the way home that she didn't like that...

Did you push all the oil away from the pick up in the pan from G-force.

There is a good reason that hi-G's race cars have dry sump systems.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe :):. She's a pretty resilient ol gal. Definitely time to replace her, but I don't think the funds are going to be there anytime soon...

They make a swing pickup just for this reason.
    I had one in my 67 vette. I thought doing some SCCA road course was a good idea.
    Until I tried it.
    Did I mention my unique driving style........"MONGO"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom