• Status
    Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    S/S is a heavy sled. Needs a big block but none in stock right now.
    Poncho torque should get her moving ;). I was looking into Tremec T-56 Magnums. Depending on the rear gear, I could be seeing less than 2k RPM on the highway. Sign me up! Be right in the sweet spot for the torque curve on a Pontiac. I'm taking donations. :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK....success. It runs. Sounds OK mechanically but the passenger side exhaust Donut is freaked out.
    Idles and answers the throttle well enough. Just timed by ear right now.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok. Have a game plan with the lemans. Gonna get it in the shop soon to do a CLT to diagnose it. After that, gonna bring it home and yank it out in the driveway, bring the engine back to work where I have been convinced to do the work myself (against my better judgement)... Gonna do a poor mans overhaul to get me by for the next couple years: new gaskets, mild cam, lifters, bearings, rings, stock Pontiac iron 4 barrel intake that I already have, clean her up really well and slap her back together. Paint her up real nice and stick it back in the car.

This is will get me by long enough that I can do the disk brakes, bucket seats, rear end, transmission and then the car will be ready to handle the power of the 400 when its done. The 350 will then be saved and along with the 3 speed be planted in an open wheel hot rod one of these days.

I'm happy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ok. Have a game plan with the lemans. Gonna get it in the shop soon to do a CLT to diagnose it. After that, gonna bring it home and yank it out in the driveway, bring the engine back to work where I have been convinced to do the work myself (against my better judgement)... Gonna do a poor mans overhaul to get me by for the next couple years: new gaskets, mild cam, lifters, bearings, rings, stock Pontiac iron 4 barrel intake that I already have, clean her up really well and slap her back together. Paint her up real nice and stick it back in the car.

This is will get me by long enough that I can do the disk brakes, bucket seats, rear end, transmission and then the car will be ready to handle the power of the 400 when its done. The 350 will then be saved and along with the 3 speed be planted in an open wheel hot rod one of these days.

I'm happy.

Ha.........good thinking on the camshaft up grade.

I just finished up my "I need" list to de-tune my 383 and get it into the Impala.
    Minimum $1500 in just parts.

I have a re-built T-350 with the kit that should work well enough in this deal. The low gear beyond the dreaded P-Glide will do wonders for it.
    I hate P-Glides.....always have. When the masses in Pro/Super Pro all ran them we were T-400 guys. I like to actually launch my car. Would the PG be faster......:dunno:..........did not care.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ok so I have options on the intake and carb setup. That's the only thing I'm questioning right now...

I have a stock cast iron 4 barrel cleaned, painted and ready to go on, then I believe I am limited to a Q-Jet.

I found a used Edlebrock performer for a good price, would have to drive to get it 4 hr round trip. Opens up options for a Holley.

A new Edlebrock performer RPM that would eventually be used on the 400.

Or say screw it and bolt up the original with the screamin 2 jet.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Ok so I have options on the intake and carb setup. That's the only thing I'm questioning right now...

I have a stock cast iron 4 barrel cleaned, painted and ready to go on, then I believe I am limited to a Q-Jet.

I found a used Edlebrock performer for a good price, would have to drive to get it 4 hr round trip. Opens up options for a Holley.

A new Edlebrock performer RPM that would eventually be used on the 400.

Or say screw it and bolt up the original with the screamin 2 jet.

They do have those Q-jet to standard 4 bbl adapters out there if you already have a square bore sitting around.

Although a good tuned Q-jet is ok.....for now.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    They do have those Q-jet to standard 4 bbl adapters out there if you already have a square bore sitting around.

Although a good tuned Q-jet is ok.....for now.
    As of right now, I'm leaning towards using my cast iron 4 barrel intake and finding a decent Q-Jet. I have access to my "guy", who may be the best carb quy around this area, may as well use it to my advantage. The 350 in the car is the lowest power v8 Pontiac offered in 1970 rated at 255HP and 350Ft lbs. The intake I have is off a 1970 400ci 330 or 350 HP. I need to get over and check out the numbers on my 400, which I know is a 1968, I may be able to use those heads instead since it's got bigger valves. If I really wanted to get radical and forgo the "poor mans overhaul", I believe I could take the 400 crank and stick it in the 350 and make a Poncho 383 stroker. Since nothing internal on the 400 will be used when I build that eventually.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Before I do all this, I need to get some baseline numbers. You know, real scientific like. A stopwatch and a country road should do. :cool:
    I'd recommend a custom grind from Comp or such. They don't cost much more at all and lead times are reasonable. Try a step or two smaller on the lobes and tighter on lobe separation than whatever off the shelf choice you'd normally do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom