• Status
    Not open for further replies.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    We need to work on getting the term junkyards changed to Christmasland. It's just nothing but, "oooh look at that". Had some good scores today.

The owner of one here will correct people who call it a junkyard by telling them it is a salvage yard.

Putting the finishing touches on the Roadrunner. Trying to find the last couple missing pieces that snuck up on me.

Nobody really has to know what's under the hood, do they? :cool:

What a pretty looking engine compartment! Sorry fellas, no pics of the complete car till its done!

That looks awesome! But........ You are a bigger tease than the girlfriend I had my senior year in high school. :D

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Spotted this yesterday in Laporte. I asked him what was under the hood. 355 "really worked over" was his response. It had a huge cam from the sound of it. Hi stall comverter too. Drag radials out back and skinnies on the front. The owner was well into his 70's and still drives it hard. (I heard him coming WAY before he pulled in the station.

I bet that is what Churchmouse was like in his 70's.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Man what a day. Walked around Auburn from 9AM-3PM. The swap meet was pretty decent, but most stuff just overpriced, I only bought a $5 bicycle tire that I didn't need and a whole bunch of food...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Spotted this yesterday in Laporte. I asked him what was under the hood. 355 "really worked over" was his response. It had a huge cam from the sound of it. Hi stall comverter too. Drag radials out back and skinnies on the front. The owner was well into his 70's and still drives it hard. (I heard him coming WAY before he pulled in the station.

I bet that is what Churchmouse was like in his 70's.

That is one of my favorite year Chevells. I was looking hard for a 66 but found my 64 1st so we did it.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    That is one of my favorite year Chevells. I was looking hard for a 66 but found my 64 1st so we did it.
    One of my first cars before I got my 72 Chevy truck was almost a 65 Malibu 2 door post 6 cyl powerglide. I was diggin on it and I've got a thing for inlines. Also looked at a 61 biscayne 2 door post, that one had some major rust issues though... Strange that I remember the ones I passed on more than the ones I actually bought....

On another note, I'm thoroughly impressed with my $500 s10. So far we've put a battery in it and discovered the diff cover is rotted through and leaking. NAPA had the needed cover, gonna replace it this weekend. I haven't found a single thing on the truck that doesn't work, AC blows cold, heat works great. Highest mileage vehicle I've ever owned, but also one of the nicest! It will need a rear end rebuild/replace at some point as she is making some noise, but that'll be relatively affordable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    One of my first cars before I got my 72 Chevy truck was almost a 65 Malibu 2 door post 6 cyl powerglide. I was diggin on it and I've got a thing for inlines. Also looked at a 61 biscayne 2 door post, that one had some major rust issues though... Strange that I remember the ones I passed on more than the ones I actually bought....

On another note, I'm thoroughly impressed with my $500 s10. So far we've put a battery in it and discovered the diff cover is rotted through and leaking. NAPA had the needed cover, gonna replace it this weekend. I haven't found a single thing on the truck that doesn't work, AC blows cold, heat works great. Highest mileage vehicle I've ever owned, but also one of the nicest! It will need a rear end rebuild/replace at some point as she is making some noise, but that'll be relatively affordable.

Pinion bearings most likely.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Today is the Edsel's Birthday...personally, I think the style is unique enough to have a "cool factor" though can't say its on my list of cars I just have to own...

"After a massive promotional campaign, which included multi-page "teaser" ads in major national magazines, some 2.5 million Americans poured into Edsel dealerships on "E-Day", September 4, 1957. But it was quickly apparent that few cars were actually being sold. The public expectation was much higher than the car could live up to, and sales reflected the disappointment. There was a combination of other factors that led to the name "Edsel" becoming synonymous with "failure" - By the time the first Edsel hit the showroom, the country was in a recession. (For comparison, 1958 DeSoto sales were down 54% from 1957. Buick was down 33%, Mercury 48%, Oldsmobile 18%, Dodge 47%, Pontiac 28%.. probably the worst year since World War II to unveil a new car line!) Car-buying habits had turned toward smaller and more fuel efficient cars. Edsel's styling was radical, and not to everyone's liking."
    58-Edsel_Pacer-Conv-KM-08_RH-07.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Today is the Edsel's Birthday...personally, I think the style is unique enough to have a "cool factor" though can't say its on my list of cars I just have to own...

"After a massive promotional campaign, which included multi-page "teaser" ads in major national magazines, some 2.5 million Americans poured into Edsel dealerships on "E-Day", September 4, 1957. But it was quickly apparent that few cars were actually being sold. The public expectation was much higher than the car could live up to, and sales reflected the disappointment. There was a combination of other factors that led to the name "Edsel" becoming synonymous with "failure" - By the time the first Edsel hit the showroom, the country was in a recession. (For comparison, 1958 DeSoto sales were down 54% from 1957. Buick was down 33%, Mercury 48%, Oldsmobile 18%, Dodge 47%, Pontiac 28%.. probably the worst year since World War II to unveil a new car line!) Car-buying habits had turned toward smaller and more fuel efficient cars. Edsel's styling was radical, and not to everyone's liking."
    58-Edsel_Pacer-Conv-KM-08_RH-07.jpg

I remember the 1st Edsel I saw. I was with one of my car nut uncles cruising in his 49 olds business coup lowered, had flat "Salt Flat" disc wheel covers, "Lakes" pipe dumps, a big Caddy engine etc and so on. It was 58 or so. We both went UGH, ugly car and man they are ugly.

MuttX7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Monroe County
    I remember the 1st Edsel I saw. I was with one of my car nut uncles cruising in his 49 olds business coup lowered, had flat "Salt Flat" disc wheel covers, "Lakes" pipe dumps, a big Caddy engine etc and so on. It was 58 or so. We both went UGH, ugly car and man they are ugly.

I always thought they were ugly but cool in a sense because there aren't a ton of them around. The Connie kit on that one is ugly as original sin though.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Family in town for the weekend, means we mess with a bunch of old stuff. Dug this old thing out, I think it's hot rod enough. My dad built this custom Schwinn chopper for me when I was about 13, I rode that thing everywhere! It's been sitting for about 8 years untouched, it was missing some parts that got robbed from it years ago. Still fun, although I don't remember it doing wheelies as soon as you sit down.... You have to lean forward while riding...

RevoWood123

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2015
    North Louisville (So Ind)

Don't know why, but I kind of like the Edsels. I know a lot of people think they're ugly cars, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't want to own one someday.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom