Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Chrome and dramatic styling variations are victims of pricing pressures, full mileage, etc. Most you might find today is faux chrome on a new chevy truck.

1950's will be remember for fins and chrome. 2010's with be for LED lights and Bluetooth (excepting cars like the ZL1, Hellcat, Z06).

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    or we can just wrap everything in chrome....not....

chrome_camaro.jpg

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Well, plus there is the issue of Hexavalent Chromium being banned in many countries and the OEM's are asking suppliers to remove it entirely. It will only be a matter of time before they will not allow it at all.

We have a chrome for badging that does not contain banned chemicals but I don't think it would work well as a chrome bumper the size of a '57 Chevy.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, plus there is the issue of Hexavalent Chromium being banned in many countries and the OEM's are asking suppliers to remove it entirely. It will only be a matter of time before they will not allow it at all.

We have a chrome for badging that does not contain banned chemicals but I don't think it would work well as a chrome bumper the size of a '57 Chevy.:)

What local shops are doing now is a high Nickel finish. Polished up it looks pretty good. Most all of the bright work I did on my HD Springer soft tail (Lots and lots of it) was all Hi-Nickel.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I saw a '32 Ford roadster at a show that had NO chrome. Every thing that was not powdercoated a creamy red or covered with red leather was brushed stainless or aluminum. The engine compartment, the dash, interior hardware, nerf bars, diff cover, license plate ring....all brushed metal. It was kind of distinctive, mostly because it was so different sitting in that whole field of polished chrome.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Why are they banning chromium?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why are they banning chromium?

The chemicals required in the process are pretty ugly and over the years folks have done a lot of disposing of these ugly Chem's in a sloppy manner. Sewers/creeks/on the ground out back....you name it.
    When OSHA/EPA set the mandates on proper disposal the small mom and pop shops could not afford it.

If you have ever been in an old chrome shop it is a dreary and deadly dungeon.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There are only a few places in the country doing high quality triple chrome plating, meaning copper, nickel and chrome. Lots of local places are doing flash chrome, which is pretty while it lasts....

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Hexavalent chrome has been fading out for some time, being replaced with trivalent which is more forgiving in both production and regulation. It does produce a yellow back color which doesn't look as good as the sharp black back color that came from hexavalent. I've seen the silver deposition trick as shown on the "chrome car" which is interesting but pretty overwhelming.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The chemicals required in the process are pretty ugly and over the years folks have done a lot of disposing of these ugly Chem's in a sloppy manner. Sewers/creeks/on the ground out back....you name it.
    When OSHA/EPA set the mandates on proper disposal the small mom and pop shops could not afford it.

If you have ever been in an old chrome shop it is a dreary and deadly dungeon.

This and Chromium trioxide which is one of the main components of Hexavalent Chrome is suspected to be a carcinogen. Suspicion is enough to have companies looking for alternatives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well I put 3 hours in under the hood of the 64.
    It is ready to spin over except...............They gave me the wrong Alt belt again. This one is too short. The last one was to long.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I tend to gravitate towards the funky and different cars. This one just struck me. '60 Olds 98.

Don't think I've ever seen a Lancia in person. I like it.

I so want to tear around in this little Fiat!!

And now for my best in show!!!!!

How bout an 84 Rolls with peacocks painted on the side!!!!!!!!

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Putting the finishing touches on the Roadrunner. Trying to find the last couple missing pieces that snuck up on me.

Nobody really has to know what's under the hood, do they? :cool:

What a pretty looking engine compartment! Sorry fellas, no pics of the complete car till its done!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Putting the finishing touches on the Roadrunner. Trying to find the last couple missing pieces that snuck up on me.

Nobody really has to know what's under the hood, do they? :cool:

What a pretty looking engine compartment! Sorry fellas, no pics of the complete car till its done!

. I just gave my nephew the exhaust tips for that car for his 70 Challenger.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom