Not open for further replies.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well.....a Chevy Big Block maybe.

A good set of heads on a Poncho wakes them right up but the mains/rods need to be upgraded to turn up the wick.
    Well yeah a Chevy big block, Pontiac never made a small or big block. ;) 287-455 is all the same size externally.

Stock heads that don't begin with RAM, are junk. Modern tech has changed that so much.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well yeah a Chevy big block, Pontiac never made a small or big block. ;) 287-455 is all the same size externally.

Stock heads that don't begin with RAM, are junk. Modern tech has changed that so much.

My buddy has been building a 68 Bird for probably 12 years. The body is done just needs wired. The interior is ready just needs installed.
    Has a narrowed 9" ford on links under the back mini tubed.
    Disk brakes on all 4 corners.
    3 peddles.
    455 with a set of ally heads and a dominator over a mechanical roller. Custom headers.
    Engine is on the stand.
    He swears he will get it done. Sometime.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My buddy has been building a 68 Bird for probably 12 years. The body is done just needs wired. The interior is ready just needs installed.
    Has a narrowed 9" ford on links under the back mini tubed.
    Disk brakes on all 4 corners.
    3 peddles.
    455 with a set of ally heads and a dominator over a mechanical roller. Custom headers.
    Engine is on the stand.
    He swears he will get it done. Sometime.
    I know that feeling. We've still got a '57 Chevy 210 in the garage that has been sitting untouched for 4 years. The saying "the cobblers kids have no shoes" keeps going through my head...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know that feeling. We've still got a '57 Chevy 210 in the garage that has been sitting untouched for 4 years. The saying "the cobblers kids have no shoes" keeps going through my head...

This is why I let my 70 split bumper find a new home. The guy that bought it was amped and said it would see the track this year.
    I heard a few days ago it is setting out back of his shop untouched.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Ooooooooooooooooooooooooo................210..............:drool:
    You've seen pics of this. Has LT1 and 4L60E trans out of a 1996 Camaro. Once we figured out that a frame swap was needed, the project kinda stalled out. New frame is powdercoated, body ready to be transferred and start replacing bent up sheet metal.

Eventually will wear these wheels, most likely on air.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah I remember that car.
    Dd it get the engine cradle or farther back.
    It's bent right in front of the left rear wheel. Then we found the section from the crossmember forward on the right front had been replaced from a previous accident.... That's when we decided to replace the whole thing. It's a perfect blank slate, the color is actually really sweet, it's a late 80s ford color, really deep blue. Car was originally silver with ivory top and insert on the 1/4. Of course the LT1 is now outdated in favor of the LS, depending on funds that may either stay or get upgraded... It's only got like 10k miles on the engine, I think... Not really sure as we bought it like you see it in the first pic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's bent right in front of the left rear wheel. Then we found the section from the crossmember forward on the right front had been replaced from a previous accident.... That's when we decided to replace the whole thing. It's a perfect blank slate, the color is actually really sweet, it's a late 80s ford color, really deep blue. Car was originally silver with ivory top and insert on the 1/4. Of course the LT1 is now outdated in favor of the LS, depending on funds that may either stay or get upgraded... It's only got like 10k miles on the engine, I think... Not really sure as we bought it like you see it in the first pic.

The LT-1 would still be a real hoot to roll in that chassis.
    Fix the car. Run the engine and find the parts to upgrade down the road.

I would love to see how the 6.0 in my van would haul a much lighter car around with just a few standard tweaks.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The LT-1 would still be a real hoot to roll in that chassis.
    Fix the car. Run the engine and find the parts to upgrade down the road.

I would love to see how the 6.0 in my van would haul a much lighter car around with just a few standard tweaks.
    Car will be for sale once done. That was the original plan anyway. I don't care much for the 57s, if it was a 55 or 56, I'd be coming up with a way to keep it. :)

Forget the 6.0, go straight for the 8.1. :rockwoot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Car will be for sale once done. That was the original plan anyway. I don't care much for the 57s, if it was a 55 or 56, I'd be coming up with a way to keep it. :)

Forget the 6.0, go straight for the 8.1. :rockwoot:

I have loved the 57 since I was....well....7.
    That was 1957. Fell in love with them. Still do.
    Get the nose down and the right stance on a 210 post car and I need a moment alone.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My feelings for the 57 may change once we get a move on it. I tend to appriciate cars more after I've had my hands all over her body. I found an appreciation for first gen camaros after restoring a 68 "Z" car. I still hate camaros and wouldn't have one, except a "Z", I appriciate the engine, not much else. Not my thing....

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Oh yeah now I remember what chrome bumpers and trim look like on a car....not a GM guy or much of a 50s car guy but I certainly appreciate the work that goes into keeping classics on the road

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like '55's and '57's but there is too much sheet metal for me now. I am more desirous of a smaller vehicle that would require less bodywork, less paint and less time polishing.:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom