gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    0831160737_zpsrmkx010q.jpg

This is one of my daughter's kindergarten teacher's trucks.

It'll soon be driven by her almost-to-driving-age son...

In a world of ginormous wheels, those wheels look really small.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Dang Tactically Fat that truck is a beauty. To this day that body style with the square headlight front end is my favorite pick up ever. I had a 79 F250 crew cab short bed 4wd sitting on 33x12.5s with a built 400, Wimbledon white with royal blue american racing wheels. Got from my uncle when I was in high school, at least once a week someone asked about buying it. Ended up getting smoked but a tandem axle dump truck. Jerk made a right turn across 2 lanes of traffic(from the left turn lane) and knock the front end off of it. Just glad I wasn't in a car coulda been killed.....good times in that truck lol

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Dude long time no talk always nice to see pics of the bird. I keep looking any pictures of my SHO's but can't seem to find any.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There is more truth to this than you know.
    The Bird was a hoot to drive but a Hi-HP 327 would show me its tail lights pretty regularly. Buddy had a 66 Nova L-79 3 peddle car that would embarrass the bird every freaking time we raced and I wanted so badly to whip him. Little hi-winding chevy just checked out on the Tin Indian.
    I've heard lots of stories about this. All makes sense if you think about it. Higher RPM gets you everytime when your staple is low end torque.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    And a new(er) one that some GTO purists hate. But built in Aussie land very tight and 400hp/400ft-lbs with 6 speed:

View attachment 49736 View attachment 49737
    No purist here. I like traditional ponchos with poncho engines, but after driving all over the Midwest in a relatively stock car, I don't care about originality anymore. I've even been contemplating whether I really want to build that 400 sitting on the stand and instead just go LS like everybody else it doing..... I hate being in that crowd and like being different, but I don't like running the old iron at 80mph on the highway for 4-15 hours....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've heard lots of stories about this. All makes sense if you think about it. Higher RPM gets you everytime when your staple is low end torque.

To this day we have a package for street small blocks that is fast and reliable.

The L-79 was a small journal 327 that you could spin up to 6500 plus any time you wanted to. With an open plenum intake and some more Carb they would spin all the way to 7000 but it would take its toll on them if you did not stiffen up the oil pump with a bigger spring and some clearance work. The #1 rod bearing would starve at those RPM's if you kept pushing the engine like that.
    Learned this the hard way with the 327 I put in my 67 Nova. You can get the pan off with the engine in the car with those Nova's. Old man (yes, my age at the time) showed me the dual oil pressure gauge trick to measure bearing wear on those hi-rev small blocks. It saved my bacon.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    No purist here. I like traditional ponchos with poncho engines, but after driving all over the Midwest in a relatively stock car, I don't care about originality anymore. I've even been contemplating whether I really want to build that 400 sitting on the stand and instead just go LS like everybody else it doing..... I hate being in that crowd and like being different, but I don't like running the old iron at 80mph on the highway for 4-15 hours....
    yeah, I really want to do the ls1 conversion on the 73 vette... going to need to decide soon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Hone OD unit. They work.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    To this day we have a package for street small blocks that is fast and reliable.

The L-79 was a small journal 327 that you could spin up to 6500 plus any time you wanted to. With an open plenum intake and some more Carb they would spin all the way to 7000 but it would take its toll on them if you did not stiffen up the oil pump with a bigger spring and some clearance work. The #1 rod bearing would starve at those RPM's if you kept pushing the engine like that.
    Learned this the hard way with the 327 I put in my 67 Nova. You can get the pan off with the engine in the car with those Nova's. Old man (yes, my age at the time) showed me the dual oil pressure gauge trick to measure bearing wear on those hi-rev small blocks. It saved my bacon.
    Big blocks are fun for the torque, but to me a high winding small block is more fun. Each has its pros and cons.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom