Not open for further replies.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    So I heard a rumor that the local GM truck plant is building an all new aluminum facility to build the next generation of GM pickups which will be aluminum.. All in the name of pleasing our wonderful .gov, who would rather see you get better fuel mileage than worry about your safety in an accident...

....also some "rumor" of a fiberglass component to the bed...

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    My baby. '67 Firebird 326 H.O. 3-speed manual
    Took me 7.5 years to restore myself in a two car garage. The only parts I didn't do were the sheetmetal/welding and paint.

Bird Resto

qp1.jpeg
    indy_show_bird.jpg

Attachments

• indy_show_bird.jpg
      indy_show_bird.jpg
      119.5 KB · Views: 3

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My baby. '67 Firebird 326 H.O. 3-speed manual
    Took me 7.5 years to restore myself in a two car garage. The only parts I didn't do were the sheetmetal/welding and paint.

Bird Resto

qp1.jpeg
    indy_show_bird.jpg

Convertibles from those days did tend to rust away. Buddy had a 69 Camaro pace car that had sat behind a garage for way to long with the top mostly missing. That was our 1st go round with full floor pans and quarters. We cut the floor out of a wrecked Camaro and made it work. The Convertible cross member was a tricky deal.
    Nice work.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Finally another poncho guy! :rockwoot:

At the ripe age of 17 My dad and I went to the local Pontiac dealer.
    I really wanted a Camaro but he was pushing me in the direction of the Tin Indian.
    I had saved stole borrowed and sold enough to have all but $850 towards my 1st new car.
    There it sat. Burgandy bird. Black guts. 400 ram air 3 if memory serves (:oldwise:) 3 peddle car.
    Had it maybe 6 months before it was hit in the drivers door by an old lady having a medical issue. She was wide open throttle and ran a stop in her Rambler. I did not see her until 1 second before she totaled my brand new car.......:(
    Yeah, It really hurt.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    The wife and I took a trip up to Auburn last night. Drove past the AA park and it sure is coming together. We ended up swing past the museum just as they were loading up a Duesenberg into a semi, which I assume is for the show this weekend. Very cool sight to see indeed. To bad I won't get to go this year as we have a already made plans to walk the Mackinaw bridge this year. I guess there is always next year.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Well that will be interesting.

CSP in Huntington has been in the paper for a major expansion (they currently make Corvette body panels) and I've heard from some employees that there has been some truck talk. Who knows, could be other body parts but outside fiberglass panels seems logical with steel floors and walls. Either way; they are proposing new hires and the area sure can use that...

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    At the ripe age of 17 My dad and I went to the local Pontiac dealer.
    I really wanted a Camaro but he was pushing me in the direction of the Tin Indian.
    I had saved stole borrowed and sold enough to have all but $850 towards my 1st new car.
    There it sat. Burgandy bird. Black guts. 400 ram air 3 if memory serves (:oldwise:) 3 peddle car.
    Had it maybe 6 months before it was hit in the drivers door by an old lady having a medical issue. She was wide open throttle and ran a stop in her Rambler. I did not see her until 1 second before she totaled my brand new car.......:(
    Yeah, It really hurt.
    Most old Chevy guys I talk to were once Pontiac guys in their youth. The conversation always turn to they say they got tired of buying scoop shovels and oil dry, so they wised up and went with a Chevy..... You know what I tell them? Whatever, old man! :cool:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Most old Chevy guys I talk to were once Pontiac guys in their youth. The conversation always turn to they say they got tired of buying scoop shovels and oil dry, so they wised up and went with a Chevy..... You know what I tell them? Whatever, old man! :cool:

There is more truth to this than you know.
    The Bird was a hoot to drive but a Hi-HP 327 would show me its tail lights pretty regularly. Buddy had a 66 Nova L-79 3 peddle car that would embarrass the bird every freaking time we raced and I wanted so badly to whip him. Little hi-winding chevy just checked out on the Tin Indian.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom