• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Check your intercooler and the intake/pressure side. A small leak can cost MPG.
    Actually did check that tonight. Thought I heard another boost leak, so I tested from the intake at the turbo, all the way up to the pipe that hits the intake. Then again directly at the intake. All was good.

Did you know that you can pressurize the intake enough to make the crank move? Like, only a couple degrees, but I did it twice, so I know I'm not crazy.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    20210321_132537.jpg
    Man, it's WAY easier to upload pix from my phone now. Heck yeah.

Anyway, 24 footer, 5200lb axles, 16 inch wheels, AC ;). Has a gash on the passenger side, up high and toward the back. But it's sealed up for now. Has a nice, big side door. I'm amazed it made it up my driveway without any fear of dragging. And, had it drug, it's got rollers on the bottom.

One of the trailer brake wires appears to be broken. Only one axle was braking. Should be an easy fix.

Gonna build a work bench, mount a toolbox or two, setup some tools that can stay in there all the time, buy a 2000w generator for the lights for now, then buy another 2000w generator and link them for the AC. I decided I'd rather do that than try to lug around a 4000w all the time, even when I don't need the AC. I'm super excited.

Even if I have to pull the trans on the truck, it's going to be a good year.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    It's official; the transmission God has the trans for my racecar. He'll be doing a teardown and assessment, we'll discuss options then move to completing the rebuild. :rockwoot: My reorganization efforts have yielded me more "leftovers" to help in the completion of several projects AND the shop is getting cleaned up. Double win!!
    Drove to Kentucky to pick up a trailer yesterday. I now own an enclosed trailer, which is freaking awesome.

However, truck got less than 16mpg down there and... I don't wanna think about how bad it was coming back. I used to get 20+ all the time. 18+ with an open trailer and the car on it.

Called over to Turbo & Diesel Injection and they suggested injector cleaner, check timing, and finally bring the injectors in if the other stuff doesn't work. I ordered a timing kit from Power Driven Diesel. I've got a feeling my timing slipped. It might explain some other issues.

The truck also seems to be leaking more oil than normal. Oddly enough, right AT the oil pan. Started checking bolts and, wouldn't you know it, literally every oil pan bolt had slack in it. Not like, loose, but I could take my wrench and snug them up with ease. Hoping that helps my leak issue.

Lastly, and most worrisome, is the transmission. Apparently, the "lack of power" that I have felt for the last 3 years has been the transmission slipping when its not in lockup. Makes no sense to me, but hey, I just don't understand autos.
    Called around and there is a line pressure solenoid that could be my culprit. Gonna change that out. If it fixes it, great! If not... I guess I might be spending some big money on a rebuild, because my clutches could be fried at this point.

16 is about what I got out of my '00 SD diesel ext cab 4wd. Towing a 24' enclosed dropped it down to around 12-13. Had it checked over once and was told all was well. Obviously, YMMV.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It's official; the transmission God has the trans for my racecar. He'll be doing a teardown and assessment, we'll discuss options then move to completing the rebuild. :rockwoot: My reorganization efforts have yielded me more "leftovers" to help in the completion of several projects AND the shop is getting cleaned up. Double win!!

16 is about what I got out of my '00 SD diesel ext cab 4wd. Towing a 24' enclosed dropped it down to around 12-13. Had it checked over once and was told all was well. Obviously, YMMV.
    What transmission are you going to be running? Any chance I ever see you out on the tarmac at Grissom?

When the engine only had 3,000 miles on it and I had just stuffed it in the F350, we drove down to Florida and back. 22mpg the whole way. I got fuel in Ocala and started home. I think I made 1 stop for fuel and tacos and drove the rest of the way home. It was fantastic.
    And for a couple years, I was getting close to 20mpg most of the time when pulling the Mustang on that heavy duty open trailer. Now, I know that there will for sure be a difference between the open and enclosed, but to not even get 16mpg without a trailer attached, I'm pretty bummed. Something has to be going on, for sure.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    What transmission are you going to be running? Any chance I ever see you out on the tarmac at Grissom?

When the engine only had 3,000 miles on it and I had just stuffed it in the F350, we drove down to Florida and back. 22mpg the whole way. I got fuel in Ocala and started home. I think I made 1 stop for fuel and tacos and drove the rest of the way home. It was fantastic.
    And for a couple years, I was getting close to 20mpg most of the time when pulling the Mustang on that heavy duty open trailer. Now, I know that there will for sure be a difference between the open and enclosed, but to not even get 16mpg without a trailer attached, I'm pretty bummed. Something has to be going on, for sure.
    It's a C4 I rebuilt about 25 or so years ago. Nothing special about it other than the full manual reverse valve body and the slightly looser convertor than stock. Only reason I'm rebuilding it is because it's been sitting on a shelf in the shop for 25 years. They're going to assess it's current condition then we'll look at any potential upgrades even though it's never given me a lick of trouble other than puking fluid out of the dip stick after a hard run. Probably throw some kevlar bands and clutches in it, hardened input shaft and maybe modify the fluid ports to allow more flow thru the cooler but other than that no snake oil.

I'll eventually make it to Grissom, my plan is to attend the 50th annual Solo II nats since the last one I attended was the 25th annual so I'll need to get a little seat time in before I trek over to Lincoln. Went pretty regular there for a few years then moved to Indiana and along with several other life altering, race car back burnering events stopped working on the car. I am thinking about bringing the 'vert out to a local event for the helluvit although I don't have any plans just yet as to when, maybe after I get the IRS in.

We did stop by the speedrome for an event one weekend a year or so back. Watched your car sit there for awhile but figured it must have been your turn to work. SWMBO decided she'd gotten hot enough so we bailed.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It's a C4 I rebuilt about 25 or so years ago. Nothing special about it other than the full manual reverse valve body and the slightly looser convertor than stock. Only reason I'm rebuilding it is because it's been sitting on a shelf in the shop for 25 years. They're going to assess it's current condition then we'll look at any potential upgrades even though it's never given me a lick of trouble other than puking fluid out of the dip stick after a hard run. Probably throw some kevlar bands and clutches in it, hardened input shaft and maybe modify the fluid ports to allow more flow thru the cooler but other than that no snake oil.

I'll eventually make it to Grissom, my plan is to attend the 50th annual Solo II nats since the last one I attended was the 25th annual so I'll need to get a little seat time in before I trek over to Lincoln. Went pretty regular there for a few years then moved to Indiana and along with several other life altering, race car back burnering events stopped working on the car. I am thinking about bringing the 'vert out to a local event for the helluvit although I don't have any plans just yet as to when, maybe after I get the IRS in.

We did stop by the speedrome for an event one weekend a year or so back. Watched your car sit there for awhile but figured it must have been your turn to work. SWMBO decided she'd gotten hot enough so we bailed.
    I've had several people tell me I won't like an auto built like your C4. I have been toying with the idea. Have seen a couple other guys running budget TH350 builds in the same fashion.
    Since the Notch currently has auto-pedals in it, I'm looking to find a cheap auto that I can throw behind it. Especially since T5's aren't the same price that they used to be. I'd like to find a T5 that's a couple hundred bucks and rebuild it, but haven't seen anything lately. Not sure if I can get into an auto for that good of a price, though.

I'll be out at the first Fun Event they are holding. May 2nd out at Grissom. Planning on hitting every Points Event they have this year, too.

Went out to the garage to look for some solenoids I'd bought for the transmission a couple years back. Found that I did, in fact, buy the entire 7 pack of solenoids, which means I have one that was never installed. It was never installed because I had to pull the valve body off to replace it, and I'm gonna tell you right now that I'll be a little miffed if this is what fixes my issue.
    Gotta reach out to Transtar and see if I can get a valve body gasket and some assembly lube from them tomorrow. Try to get that solenoid replaced by Saturday night and see if it does anything for me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    View attachment 132026
    Man, it's WAY easier to upload pix from my phone now. Heck yeah.

Anyway, 24 footer, 5200lb axles, 16 inch wheels, AC ;). Has a gash on the passenger side, up high and toward the back. But it's sealed up for now. Has a nice, big side door. I'm amazed it made it up my driveway without any fear of dragging. And, had it drug, it's got rollers on the bottom.

One of the trailer brake wires appears to be broken. Only one axle was braking. Should be an easy fix.

Gonna build a work bench, mount a toolbox or two, setup some tools that can stay in there all the time, buy a 2000w generator for the lights for now, then buy another 2000w generator and link them for the AC. I decided I'd rather do that than try to lug around a 4000w all the time, even when I don't need the AC. I'm super excited.

Even if I have to pull the trans on the truck, it's going to be a good year.
    Nothing improves your racing experience much more than a really nice trailer.
    Consider what we did. 12v lighting with dual deep cycle battery's along with an inverter. The batt's wired to the charging system in the truck through the connector. Have the genny on hand (ours had/has 12v charging available) if you run the system down with the lights. You would be amazed how long that will light up the trailer. And with the genny running the lights stay on.
    Only thing is unplug the truck when you park it so the truck battery's dont take a hit. Easy peasy to figure out and it works.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The trailer lit up like an operating arena. On the batterys. I had a 2 circuit marine charger to keep them topped off when it sat at home.
    The winch was inn the floor in front of the bench. The tail gate was also electric. It all ran off the battery's.
    Except the AC/Heat. That required the genny.
    02AIzh4.jpg

JML82Q0.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This was the Frankenstein tow rig I built to pull one of the cars.
    Owner left it in gear with a 30' gooseneck on it and stepped out of the cab. Yeah he was stoned.
    Down the hill it went. Wedged perfectly between a few trees and stopped against 1. It is an 1985 1 ton gas dually. 460 with 23K on the clock. Dual tanks and a Choo-Choo custom's interior.

GRXwVWm.jpg

1 year later and lots of new 1996 sheet metal grill bumper etc and so on. The aero kit was a gift from a buddy.

zcPdQBL.jpg

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The trailer lit up like an operating arena. On the batterys. I had a 2 circuit marine charger to keep them topped off when it sat at home.
    The winch was inn the floor in front of the bench. The tail gate was also electric. It all ran off the battery's.
    Except the AC/Heat. That required the genny.
    02AIzh4.jpg

JML82Q0.jpg
    It's got lights in it already. I'm not an electrician, so I don't know much about how it's wired or how that kind of stuff works. I do a lot of wiring, but it's small stuff for automotive fans or gauges or CAT 5/6 etc. For all of the work I do on computers, I don't know jack about electricity. I think this is where I'm going to get to learn.

Looking to buy two generators. Both small 2000w units. Buy one now and use it to light the trailer up. I would like to have a battery setup like you said. Buy a second and run the two in parallel so that I can run the AC when necessary. Thinking I'll build an insulated box on the tongue that both generators sit in, with a flip up or sliding panel on it. Keep them wired up all the time and ready to roll, so that all I have to do is turn one on to get light. Or, with a battery sitting there, I probably wouldn't even need to do that all of the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's got lights in it already. I'm not an electrician, so I don't know much about how it's wired or how that kind of stuff works. I do a lot of wiring, but it's small stuff for automotive fans or gauges or CAT 5/6 etc. For all of the work I do on computers, I don't know jack about electricity. I think this is where I'm going to get to learn.

Looking to buy two generators. Both small 2000w units. Buy one now and use it to light the trailer up. I would like to have a battery setup like you said. Buy a second and run the two in parallel so that I can run the AC when necessary. Thinking I'll build an insulated box on the tongue that both generators sit in, with a flip up or sliding panel on it. Keep them wired up all the time and ready to roll, so that all I have to do is turn one on to get light. Or, with a battery sitting there, I probably wouldn't even need to do that all of the time.
    So many ways to go but I would not go with 2 genny's. Just me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've had several people tell me I won't like an auto built like your C4. I have been toying with the idea. Have seen a couple other guys running budget TH350 builds in the same fashion.
    Since the Notch currently has auto-pedals in it, I'm looking to find a cheap auto that I can throw behind it. Especially since T5's aren't the same price that they used to be. I'd like to find a T5 that's a couple hundred bucks and rebuild it, but haven't seen anything lately. Not sure if I can get into an auto for that good of a price, though.

I'll be out at the first Fun Event they are holding. May 2nd out at Grissom. Planning on hitting every Points Event they have this year, too.

Went out to the garage to look for some solenoids I'd bought for the transmission a couple years back. Found that I did, in fact, buy the entire 7 pack of solenoids, which means I have one that was never installed. It was never installed because I had to pull the valve body off to replace it, and I'm gonna tell you right now that I'll be a little miffed if this is what fixes my issue.
    Gotta reach out to Transtar and see if I can get a valve body gasket and some assembly lube from them tomorrow. Try to get that solenoid replaced by Saturday night and see if it does anything for me.
    Transmission choice is personal; I'm faster with the auto than a 4 spd, I've had both. The added pedal, more shifting, the shock of the shift and the time lifted to shift all add up. I have a theory that if you're going to run a 3 pedal car a properly geared 3 spd tranny combined with rear gears that allows you to pull 90% of your courses in 2nd gear only using third for the longest courses.

That's where I'm at with my C4, 1st gear is useless for anything other than loading and to get it rolling off the line. I'm usually shifting into 2nd gear before the car has cleared the start box. There's too much going on in too short a time to be dealing with a clutch pedal, shifter, etc when it isn't necessary. I know several people at the nationals level running autos for the same reason.

Top Bottom