• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes if you crushed the sleeve to far you will have to start over. Wait until you get a proper inlb torque wrench to crush the sleeve as that is the preload. If I remember correctly the bearings are supposed to be lubricated, but look it up to make sure.

Yes. Use the same lube you intend to run in it.
    Or thats just me. I am a bit silly like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yes if you crushed the sleeve to far you will have to start over. Wait until you get a proper inlb torque wrench to crush the sleeve as that is the preload. If I remember correctly the bearings are supposed to be lubricated, but look it up to make sure.

And that is spot on. I have seen a few old dogs set these up with no InLb wrench. All by feel.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    And that is spot on. I have seen a few old dogs set these up with no InLb wrench. All by feel.
    I know of one old timer that can get pretty darn close to torque specs if it's under
    120 ftlb. We actually would have bets at work and check with a torque wrench afterwards to see how close he was. He was one hell of a mechanic a lot of knowledge left when he retired.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We're headed north on Monday to drop the transmission for the racecar with a fellow INGOtarian. Other than paint I "think" that's the last big hurdle to getting it on the ground and at least able to move under its' own power.

Well, other than a driveshaft.

And wiring.

And plumbing.

And. . . .

And. . . . .

And. . . . .

And. . . . . .

:laugh6:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    OK, that's what I was afraid of. No worries, though. The axle is out of the car and the carrier isn't 100% seated yet, so it won't be difficult to swap the crush sleeve out.

And yes, the Freedom 500 has some big names in it. Travis Pastrana is in there, too. I'm really looking forward to it.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    DoorSlammers 2 (game on Android) is about as close as I'll come to a real hotrod for say the next decade. Lot's of fun. Here's my Mustang. Best run of 5.62 in the 1/4.

Screenshot_20210318-005311.png

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I just saw on the news O.C. Dragway is closing. That's too bad. I thought they were supposed to be building a course out there.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I just saw on the news O.C. Dragway is closing. That's too bad. I thought they were supposed to be building a course out there.
    Yeah. That sucks. There was something about "EPA issues related to the railroad superfund site" really confuses me. The railyard is about a mile or so S.E.
    My dad's neighbor was an investor in the new attempt to buy it.

Sucks all around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah. That sucks. There was something about "EPA issues related to the railroad superfund site" really confuses me. The railyard is about a mile or so S.E.
    My dad's neighbor was an investor in the new attempt to buy it.

Sucks all around.
    Pay attention to what happens to the site over the next year and I am sure the huge money will surface.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Whilst milling about waiting to take the Gal into the upholstery shop, the weather to be conducive to painting the underside of the racecar, more parts to come in to do the IRS swap on the convertible, for motivation to change the oil in the truck, the right weather to spread the dandelion killer, we've been working on more shop cleaning and organizing. Simultaneously loading up the transmission that we're taking to the shop in the morning I found another trans I didn't know I had. Happily I found it had the bigger servo that I was going to have to pay for during the trans rebuild as well as the correct bellhousing that I was about to order so saved about $250 right there. :rockwoot:

Somewhat more interesting to the group than the above drivel: Whilst living in Key West back in the day a bunch of us had congregated at a buddies house on Big Pine Key one weekend to drink adult beverages, tell lies and do burnouts in the street in front of his parents house. As is fitting his dad's garage was the headquarters for all shenanigans that evening. As nature is wont while consuming mass quantities I found it necessary to seek fluid relief.

I was instructed to head around behind the garage where there was ample opportunity to complete my mission. As I rounded the corner there was a somewhat neglected looking 64 Galaxie 500XL sitting there. Upon completion of my primary mission I sauntered over to checkout that old barge sitting there and found it to be in remarkably good condition, of course at this point it was only 15 years old. Being an XL it had the requisite bucket seats, console AND most notably it was a 3 pedal car.

I went back around to the rowdiness and asked my buddy about it and he told me that it was his dad's, bought new, but that the motor had locked up. They had drug it up and down the road a few times popping the clutch to try to break it free to no avail. I asked if he minded if I popped one of the fender emblems off of it and he told me to help myself.

Several weeks later we found our selves repeating the activites of that particular weekend and I noticed the Galaxie was gone. When I asked about it he said that his dad had called Alex and had it hauled off. Alex had the local wrecking yard at the time.

While cleaning and organizing the shop this week I happened across the fender emblem I removed that day and was quite pleased to see it, almost like an old friend.

This is the fender emblem I removed that day.

1616359513281.png

Now Alex wasn't stupid, he had a separate lot with a tall wooden fence around it. I happened to get a glance in there one day and can't remember specifics but this is where he kept the more valuable hardware and I noted a 72 Boss 351 mustang a couple of Corvettes and several other "interesting" vehicles. I like to think that this was his retirement fund and that's where that "R" code 64 Galaxie 500Xl 3 peddle car ended up and not as beer cans.

Funny, on that day on Big Pine Key that Galaxie wasn't worth the trouble to haul away, today a fully restored "R" car is probably pushing $75k.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    @femurphy77 I also have a pair of badges that bring back memories for me, although they're not off a R code Galaxy.IMG_20210321_172622321.jpg
    I have always wanted to come up with something clever to do with them. Make 1 for me and 1 for my dad.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

This looks bad if it starts being enforced. (Not sure on the language as I don't think it's a bill/law) The EPA would forbid any mod to any vehicle, on road or race car. The RPM act is trying to stop it. I haven't dug through the details yet and I have no idea where if it stands a chance of passing. Just putting this out there for info.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

This looks bad if it passes. The EPA would forbid any mod to any vehicle, on road or race car. The RPM act is trying to stop it. I haven't dug through the details yet and I have no idea where if it stands a chance of passing. Just putting this out there for info.
    I know they have been pushing it for awhile, but as you know the stars are aligning and they are going full bore on all fronts.

There are several groups out there fighting this where you can join in with letters and signing in support of it

I think it ridiculous how hard we have to fight to maintain the simple freedoms that we should be enjoying without worry. :bs:

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Made an order for the drag link/pitman arm/idler arm for a 65 full size Chevy from POL. Performance on line. That was 3/8 at 12:45 PM.
    At an early hour on 3/9 I got order verification and the funds were taken from my CC.
    On Friday morning I have waited long enough with no word as to shipping etc. NADA. I called and a nice lady checked and said they were waiting on the Pitman arm. She was checking deeper and promised a call back as to status by end of business Friday.....:lmfao:

No cal. Saturday I called again and a different nice lad checked (I failed to say I had previously called and she did not mention it so no notes on my order) and repeated what the 1st lady had said. Here suggestion was they should have it by Tuesday and get it in the mail to me.

I said no. I was done at no return call. Cancel. Return money. Today.

Called My guys at the LPS and they said it would be in the mail to me on Monday and the money was not that much more. Peoples, unless it is something super duper high performance or unobtanium I am about over dealing with all of this. Will spend my money local at every opportunity.

I am 13 days dead in the water waiting on this.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Made an order for the drag link/pitman arm/idler arm for a 65 full size Chevy from POL. Performance on line. That was 3/8 at 12:45 PM.
    At an early hour on 3/9 I got order verification and the funds were taken from my CC.
    On Friday morning I have waited long enough with no word as to shipping etc. NADA. I called and a nice lady checked and said they were waiting on the Pitman arm. She was checking deeper and promised a call back as to status by end of business Friday.....:lmfao:

No cal. Saturday I called again and a different nice lad checked (I failed to say I had previously called and she did not mention it so no notes on my order) and repeated what the 1st lady had said. Here suggestion was they should have it by Tuesday and get it in the mail to me.

I said no. I was done at no return call. Cancel. Return money. Today.

Called My guys at the LPS and they said it would be in the mail to me on Monday and the money was not that much more. Peoples, unless it is something super duper high performance or unobtanium I am about over dealing with all of this. Will spend my money local at every opportunity.

I am 13 days dead in the water waiting on this.
    A lot of places don't give a **** about customer service anymore and have no qualms about telling you so. Waited six weeks on the parts I needed to get the IRS into the convertible. Finally gave up and made the car road worthy again, will try the IRS install later this year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. So having told POL to shove it I got to spend about 3 hours of my day chasing the parts I need to accomplish this steering upgrade. Had I known before I started what I know now I would have opted for a Rack & Pinion set up and been done and had the engine in the fame by now. Buying parts for 50+ year old Chevy's should be easier but its not.
    I should have the parts end of the week.

Then I thought about the Billet specialty's pully I sent back to Jegs for exchange. They sent me a press on when my order specifically stated keyed shaft on the pump also bought from Jegs.
    Another 2+ hours on the phone bouncing person to person and listening to that God awful Guitar rift.....Argh.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Drove to Kentucky to pick up a trailer yesterday. I now own an enclosed trailer, which is freaking awesome.

However, truck got less than 16mpg down there and... I don't wanna think about how bad it was coming back. I used to get 20+ all the time. 18+ with an open trailer and the car on it.

Called over to Turbo & Diesel Injection and they suggested injector cleaner, check timing, and finally bring the injectors in if the other stuff doesn't work. I ordered a timing kit from Power Driven Diesel. I've got a feeling my timing slipped. It might explain some other issues.

The truck also seems to be leaking more oil than normal. Oddly enough, right AT the oil pan. Started checking bolts and, wouldn't you know it, literally every oil pan bolt had slack in it. Not like, loose, but I could take my wrench and snug them up with ease. Hoping that helps my leak issue.

Lastly, and most worrisome, is the transmission. Apparently, the "lack of power" that I have felt for the last 3 years has been the transmission slipping when its not in lockup. Makes no sense to me, but hey, I just don't understand autos.
    Called around and there is a line pressure solenoid that could be my culprit. Gonna change that out. If it fixes it, great! If not... I guess I might be spending some big money on a rebuild, because my clutches could be fried at this point.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Drove to Kentucky to pick up a trailer yesterday. I now own an enclosed trailer, which is freaking awesome.

However, truck got less than 16mpg down there and... I don't wanna think about how bad it was coming back. I used to get 20+ all the time. 18+ with an open trailer and the car on it.

Called over to Turbo & Diesel Injection and they suggested injector cleaner, check timing, and finally bring the injectors in if the other stuff doesn't work. I ordered a timing kit from Power Driven Diesel. I've got a feeling my timing slipped. It might explain some other issues.

The truck also seems to be leaking more oil than normal. Oddly enough, right AT the oil pan. Started checking bolts and, wouldn't you know it, literally every oil pan bolt had slack in it. Not like, loose, but I could take my wrench and snug them up with ease. Hoping that helps my leak issue.

Lastly, and most worrisome, is the transmission. Apparently, the "lack of power" that I have felt for the last 3 years has been the transmission slipping when its not in lockup. Makes no sense to me, but hey, I just don't understand autos.
    Called around and there is a line pressure solenoid that could be my culprit. Gonna change that out. If it fixes it, great! If not... I guess I might be spending some big money on a rebuild, because my clutches could be fried at this point.
    You have suffered long and hard over that truck my friend.

Congrates on the enclosed. A serious step up.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Check your intercooler and the intake/pressure side. A small leak can cost MPG.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    You have suffered long and hard over that truck my friend.

Congrates on the enclosed. A serious step up.
    This transmission is what will determine what I do with the truck. I really just want to rebuild it and call it good. I'd like to see a new solenoid give some good news, too. You know, spend $200 and see an improvement before spending $2000+..

I don't want to think about what comes after the rebuild, IF the rebuild doesn't help. That's an insanely expensive diagnostic step.

Yeah, I'm gonna stop thinking about that now.
    Let y'all know how the troubleshooting goes lol. Supposed to drive to Florida next week. Would rather take the truck than the Juke. The three of us in that car for 14 hours would be painful.

Top Bottom