• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It’s definitely got the look

Thats got Rusty Hornet written all over it.
    And me.....:)

Big block 3 peddles and her tail is up.....:):

If that is the OEM rear end it will not live long.

Pretty cool.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    In my days racing at a Pro level I had many friends that lived the top fuel life. Would be gone on the western swing for weeks on end. A good friend lived (room mate) in the house we now own with my friend when we lived next door where the terrorists now live. I would spend time at their shop helping and then at the Nationals we were guests of the team but helped out as needed.
    Lee Beard racing. McDonalds sponsored top fuel and funny car.
    I helped Lee build his fuel pump and injector test stand. Wired everything up. 5 gals of fuel in the blink of an eye.
    Yup, 500 cube limit on engines. The secret is stuffing as much nitro as you can inside the cylinders and getting it to lite off.
    If you watch the process the engines are fired on alcohol. Warmed then the burn out. Watch the butterfly's on the injector hat. The are barely open and limited. When the car is set to stage the limiter is removed and the 2nd mag is ungrounded and its now in play. As it is going into staging watch the pipes and listen to the engine. The pumps are opened up and the nitro is applied to the hot engine and the tone changes completely and fuel is spewing from the pipes.

Now its on.....:):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    In my days racing at a Pro level I had many friends that lived the top fuel life. Would be gone on the western swing for weeks on end. A good friend lived (room mate) in the house we now own with my friend when we lived next door where the terrorists now live. I would spend time at their shop helping and then at the Nationals we were guests of the team but helped out as needed.
    Lee Beard racing. McDonalds sponsored top fuel and funny car.
    I helped Lee build his fuel pump and injector test stand. Wired everything up. 5 gals of fuel in the blink of an eye.
    Yup, 500 cube limit on engines. The secret is stuffing as much nitro as you can inside the cylinders and getting it to lite off.
    If you watch the process the engines are fired on alcohol. Warmed then the burn out. Watch the butterfly's on the injector hat. The are barely open and limited. When the car is set to stage the limiter is removed and the 2nd mag is ungrounded and its now in play. As it is going into staging watch the pipes and listen to the engine. The pumps are opened up and the nitro is applied to the hot engine and the tone changes completely and fuel is spewing from the pipes.

Now its on.....:):
    At the 12:30 mark is an interview with a top fuel champion giving some details on the latest of the Top Fuel game.

6:1 compression. 4 injectors per cylinder. Gaining major time and E.T. by changing the angle of the headers. Very informative.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    At the 12:30 mark is an interview with a top fuel champion giving some details on the latest of the Top Fuel game.

6:1 compression. 4 injectors per cylinder. Gaining major time and E.T. by changing the angle of the headers. Very informative.

The men that build/tune those monsters are masters of the dragon.
    When I hung around Lee Beard before he moved back west he was a very deep well of knowledge. When they were allowed to use controllers on the clutches his cars were tough to beat.
    When they made them go back to using weight to engage the clutch he gave me one of the timers to shift my drag bike. It drove me nuts but one afternoon with him at the track and he had it dialed in for me. Those guys minds are amazing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

The header angles were just coming into being played with when I was hanging with these guys. 1st it was used to actually apply down force on the rear.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Not sure man. I have a few dials setting by the lathe. If you need one come up and get it. Yours to use.

I got the low rider a 65 drop(air system trashed) at the resto shop up in the air high enough to get a couple of measurements and give it a good look. I am pretty sure this can be made to work on the 64.
    Ordered the parts.
    Now, who did I loan my pitman are removal tool to.
    I appreciate the offer. I ended up buying the tools that night before I saw your response.
    And uh, apparently I bought the wrong torque wrench. It's an NM wrench with only 0/50/100 inlb markings. So I guess I gotta try again.

Still trying to get the rear-end done. I got the pinion in, but I think I torqued the nut down too far. Attempting to adjust hasn't gotten me anywhere yet.
    If I tightened it too far once, is the crush sleeve toast?

Also, don't think I ever said anything, but I picked up tickets to the Freedom 500. We already had vacation planned around their set race date and I was able to score tickets within 6 minutes of them going on sale lol. Super excited for that trip.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The next big race Cleetus is putting on, the Freedom 500 iirc, had some pretty big names in it. Tanner Foust, Murder Nova and Daddy Dave and several others. I just might have to watch one of these.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I appreciate the offer. I ended up buying the tools that night before I saw your response.
    And uh, apparently I bought the wrong torque wrench. It's an NM wrench with only 0/50/100 inlb markings. So I guess I gotta try again.

Still trying to get the rear-end done. I got the pinion in, but I think I torqued the nut down too far. Attempting to adjust hasn't gotten me anywhere yet.

Also, don't think I ever said anything, but I picked up tickets to the Freedom 500. We already had vacation planned around their set race date and I was able to score tickets within 6 minutes of them going on sale lol. Super excited for that trip.
    If you crushed the sleeve then yes you will need to shim it up.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Yes if you crushed the sleeve to far you will have to start over. Wait until you get a proper inlb torque wrench to crush the sleeve as that is the preload. If I remember correctly the bearings are supposed to be lubricated, but look it up to make sure.

Top Bottom