• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm legit surprised when I buy parts that are made in USA. I almost immediately found threads from other forums talking about Wix Chinese filters as far back as 2014 (at a glance... maybe even further).

I've swtiched over to Mobil 1 on everything. Most of their filters (at least oil filters) seem to be made in USA. On stuff like power equipment, that's probably a dice roll.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I'm legit surprised when I buy parts that are made in USA. I almost immediately found threads from other forums talking about Wix Chinese filters as far back as 2014 (at a glance... maybe even further).

I've swtiched over to Mobil 1 on everything. Most of their filters (at least oil filters) seem to be made in USA. On stuff like power equipment, that's probably a dice roll.
    I guess I never really looked at them. It just caught me off guard for some reason, but you're right it shouldn't have .

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I guess I never really looked at them. It just caught me off guard for some reason, but you're right it shouldn't have .

To make us both feel worse, I'm sure even the made in USA stuff is from "globally sourced" materials.

The worst case that I've seen of that is a National bearing master axle rebuild kit I bought awhile back. I bought it over the phone and the clerk told me it was made in USA, so I sent a minion to snag it for me. Minion returns to the shop and it's a box full of China and India bearings. Look at the box: Packaged in USA. I was pissssssed...

I ended up having to order a Timken set that was actually USA manufactured. It was also something like a whopping $12 more, which pissed me off again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. Sat down in front of the steering system for the 64 and started sussing out swapping in the 65 steering parts.
    Yup there is some work to do here.
    Yup I will be fabbing up some bits and pieces.
    Yup its still better than that idiotic power assist ram the car originally came with.

Off to the welding supply store on Monday. Tig needs some gas.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Found the materials here in the shop to mount the steering box. I dont have the 7/16" counter sunk allens to complete this step but the 3/8" ones center up in the holes and do offer the resistance to hold it in place. No worries as another hurdle cleared.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    oh man guess I missed out! It was a doozy, rust filled, not a straight panel, no drive train, no interior (not even floors). Cannot imagine there was a usable part on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A other example of the idiocy of people. Just straight up ignorance. But what worse is did some one actually buy that rust pile. Did it have a clear title. Hmmmmmmm

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just threw in the towel one the 1st mount plate I made for the steering box up-grade.
    Made a new one. .500 thick 6061 T-6 Aircraft ally plate. New piece is a jewel. Should be after all the practice on the 1st one.

Box is mounted.
    Tomorrow we (terrorists and I) clean up the huge mess and make ready for the next phase.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Talked to the transmission God last night, no surprises inside my race trans, just a little "to be expected" heat discoloration in the clutch packs. The plan has been set and parts ordered so that'll be back in the shop soon.

Worked on the IRS conversion for the 'vert a little last night.

IRS on bench.jpg

A lot easier working on it on the bench than under the car.

Pulled out the old bushings, now just need to clean up the sleeves where they mount.

IRS front bushings.jpgIRS rear bushings.jpg

Out with the old:

IRS old bushings.jpg

In with the new:

IRS new bushings.jpg

Top Bottom