• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That’s your sick hole. For what ever reason. Or you could have more.
    I had a set of deep reach plug Dart heads I bought from a friend. I tore them down and he had standard reach taper plugs in them. Sent off to have fresher up and I did some port work on them never looking at the holes for the plugs. I put the same part number plug back in it. Car ran a bit off and did not respond to timing/tuning. Go figure.
    I found the problem at the track and wanted to use the plug ratchet on my forehead. Ugh what a dumbass.
    Had a spare set of plugs in the trailer from another engine. They were a touch cold but man that car picked up.
    I kinda figured. It has never felt right since the build. The ones I have pulled were so oil and gas fouled I don't know how it ran.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I kinda figured. It has never felt right since the build. The ones I have pulled were so oil and gas fouled I don't know how it ran.
    Did it have the proper rings/end gap. Just a question as so many folks get a rebuild package and don’t do all the checks. Not casting any doubts on your abilities as I have seen you move around the engine bay but this sounds like a possibility.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Did it have the proper rings/end gap. Just a question as so many folks get a rebuild package and don’t do all the checks. Not casting any doubts on your abilities as I have seen you move around the engine bay but this sounds like a possibility.
    I checked ring gap and borrowed a gap file to adjust as needed. Most were pretty much spot on (stock bore likely made that easier) but I had to file a few to get them in tolerance a very small amount. This one wasn't a package, I pieced it together because of what it was. It's how I learned it was a crate motor and they used the LT1 pistons for the TBI truck engine replacement because the rings were metric and not standard. Hell I even plastigauged the crank kit "just in case"

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I ordered some 2 AWG wire to run a new alternator wire back to the battery. It came in today so I am hopefully going to run that tonight.

Stuff that was run when I bought the car was probably 10 AWG. When the car was running voltage never went above 13.9v and when the fans kicked on it would got down to 13.3-13.5v. Hoping the new 2 AWG will fix that.

I also need to finished rolling the fender lip back so the new 275/60-15s don't rub.
    Are you running a new ground as well. Dedicated from the engine block to the negative post on the battery. And a ground to the frame front and rear. Sounds like overkill but trust it is not.
    Every electric component on any race care I wire up has dedicated pos/neg from the battery back to the battery.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I checked ring gap and borrowed a gap file to adjust as needed. Most were pretty much spot on (stock bore likely made that easier) but I had to file a few to get them in tolerance a very small amount. This one wasn't a package, I pieced it together because of what it was. It's how I learned it was a crate motor and they used the LT1 pistons for the TBI truck engine replacement because the rings were metric and not standard. Hell I even plastigauged the crank kit "just in case"
    Good job.
    Now let’s see why it’s messed up.
    I am curious.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It may very well live a long life at that power level, but you are at the end of what the stock pistons can handle. Good fuel and a good tune go a long way.

So it turns out the buddy who gave me info in a prior post actually knows the guy who built this car. He confirmed it made 450 at the tire a few years back. Still unsure if it has any internal upgrades.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    It may very well live a long life at that power level, but you are at the end of what the stock pistons can handle. Good fuel and a good tune go a long way.
    It's got a boost-a-pump on it. I plan on keeping good tabs on the fuel system while I have it.
    I need to look and see how the tune was done - if it can be adjusted or anything should I need to swap out the fuel pump. In theory, if that boost-a-pump dies I should be able to pull it and swap the in-tank pump for a stronger pump and be fine.

Here's to hoping it doesn't happen and I can just keep running it as-is lol

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    It's got a boost-a-pump on it. I plan on keeping good tabs on the fuel system while I have it.
    I need to look and see how the tune was done - if it can be adjusted or anything should I need to swap out the fuel pump. In theory, if that boost-a-pump dies I should be able to pull it and swap the in-tank pump for a stronger pump and be fine.

Here's to hoping it doesn't happen and I can just keep running it as-is lol

There’s certainly no shortage of parts for the SN95 Mustangs

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Ended up not going to Columbus for the Autox Sunday due to the potential for rain, sounds like it hit them off and on all day.

Been working on the racecar; got the brake hardlines all in then assembled and installed the front rotors. Got the 1/2" aluminum fuel line uncoiled and straightened enough to work it into position, just waiting on some bulkhead fittings to get it installed. I think after that it'll go on the lift and then I will get started on wiring it up.

I wouldn't mind leaving it on the rotisserie for the wiring but it's starting to get noticeably heavier, and I don't want to risk my homebuilt rotisserie failing and tearing something up in the ensuing melee.

Still waiting on the muffler shop to call me to get the convertible mufflers installed.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well the engine shop has the heads ready (since last week) but the head gaskets haven't arrived yet. Was told Friday they should be in sometime this week. Had been hoping to have everything to put it back together and go race this weekend but that's not looking very realistic at this point. Doesn't hurt my feelings too bad considering the forecast for Saturday. So hopefully within the next few days we will be putting it back together.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    These look interesting.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads