• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That vibration indicated by the shifter doesn't look all that abnormal really. I drove many foxbody mustangs that were like that. Urethane mounts, urethane bushings or solid rod ends on suspension parts does that real quick
    More than likely Danny will take good care of that 351w...so long as the owner doesn't try yo go too cheap on internal parts lol.

This all keeps reminding me that we have to have ours freshened up at the end of this season. Not looking forward to that
    I can not get the video to open for me so I will go with what you see due to my total lack of knowledge of the Foxbody platform.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Who said anything about urethane mounts?
    Seriously - motor mounts are oem rubber style, both crossmember mounts (chassis and transmission sides) are oem rubber style. There's no urethane mounts in that system.
    Only urethane mounts on the car are in the rear-lower control arms, and those were installed wayyyy after this started happening.
    If you wanna come take a ride or even drive it, I'm more than happy to facilitate that. I have a hard time believing this is normal OK.

Also, the owner is hoping to not *need* to spend too much money... That being said, it is what it is at this point and I'm doing whatever is necessary to get it running *right*.
    It should have at least 7 good pistons and rods. He's going to let me know if the 8th piston is still worth using. I have a link to the rod that needs to be purchased. New rings and bearings will need to be put in. It's possible that the crank will need to be replaced - he said he has some for $250 (hoping those are factory cast iron and not aftermarket cast steel). I did let him know the plan is mild boost now (5-10psi) and lots of boost later - when it gets swapped to the coupe for compound turbos and 600+ to the tire.
    In all of this when you finally get a fresh engine between the fenders and get all the ducks lined up the difference in how it rolls out is pretty amazing. That has been my experience anyway.
    I could never do just a valve job on a 100k plus engine and have any faith in it. Point being it all has to be new to put my mind at ease. Then I move on to other areas.
    Am I nuts ?
    You betcha.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    In all of this when you finally get a fresh engine between the fenders and get all the ducks lined up the difference in how it rolls out is pretty amazing. That has been my experience anyway.
    I could never do just a valve job on a 100k plus engine and have any faith in it. Point being it all has to be new to put my mind at ease. Then I move on to other areas.
    Am I nuts ?
    You betcha.
    I tested my policy of replacing everything vs not on my wife's brakes. Normally, when I do a brake job, I replace it all; calipers, rotors, hardware, pads, hoses. I did a brake job and replaced the rotors, rebuilt the calipers and put it back together with new hardware. Some time went by and she came home smoking one wheel. The rotor was blue.

I took it all apart and everything looked fine, but I cleaned and lubed everything and put it back together with a new rotor and filed brake pads. Some time went by and once again she came home smoking the same wheel again.

I suspected the brake hose was collapsing but since the parts stores and Rock Auto didn't seem to be able to send me the correct hose, I left the original on for the previous repairs. This time I tried another parts store and they had the right hose. I probably could have replaced the hose and carried on but I wasn't 100% confident in the existing caliper so I changed it and put on fresh pads.

I feel good about it now and I have confirmed that all these years when as a personal policy, when I touch something on a vehicle, it gets rebuilt, restored, refurbished or replaced. Treat it as a complete system. It may cost a little more upfront but in the long run...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I tested my policy of replacing everything vs not on my wife's brakes. Normally, when I do a brake job, I replace it all; calipers, rotors, hardware, pads, hoses. I did a brake job and replaced the rotors, rebuilt the calipers and put it back together with new hardware. Some time went by and she came home smoking one wheel. The rotor was blue.

I took it all apart and everything looked fine, but I cleaned and lubed everything and put it back together with a new rotor and filed brake pads. Some time went by and once again she came home smoking the same wheel again.

I suspected the brake hose was collapsing but since the parts stores and Rock Auto didn't seem to be able to send me the correct hose, I left the original on for the previous repairs. This time I tried another parts store and they had the right hose. I probably could have replaced the hose and carried on but I wasn't 100% confident in the existing caliper so I changed it and put on fresh pads.

I feel good about it now and I have confirmed that all these years when as a personal policy, when I touch something on a vehicle, it gets rebuilt, restored, refurbished or replaced. Treat it as a complete system. It may cost a little more upfront but in the long run...
    Especially brakes.
    Having access to a brake lathe has saved me money over the years turning rotors and drums but like you I do all suspect parts and pieces. I have rebuilt many calipers with good success but I take every step involved to prep the pice for new parts.

Having a wife that can smoke a set of pads in short order I knew what tools to take out to do the work. She worked in Castelton/Fishers area and adopted that unique driving style of the area.

Last edited:

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I can not get the video to open for me so I will go with what you see due to my total lack of knowledge of the Foxbody platform.
    THIS IS A LINK, IDK WHY THIS HAS TO BE COMPLICATED
    See if that gets you there.

Also - I agree on the engine. I'm mostly pissed about the entire situation because it's going to be over a month before I have a good engine in this car, and I'm not racing it until that happens. It's not even the money at this point - it's the lost time and how I was SO CLOSE to having something wrapped up to throw in there.
    I will likely get this engine built, sell the cracked 302, most likely sell the truck 351, and be left with the 302 from the convertible (that I'll either rebuild or sell), and this good 351.
    When this good 351 gets moved to the coupe, I'm not sure what will go in the convertible. Very much toying with the idea of either a mod-motor swap with a Kenne Bell supercharger, or an LS with a whipple.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    THIS IS A LINK, IDK WHY THIS HAS TO BE COMPLICATED
    See if that gets you there.

Also - I agree on the engine. I'm mostly pissed about the entire situation because it's going to be over a month before I have a good engine in this car, and I'm not racing it until that happens. It's not even the money at this point - it's the lost time and how I was SO CLOSE to having something wrapped up to throw in there.
    I will likely get this engine built, sell the cracked 302, most likely sell the truck 351, and be left with the 302 from the convertible (that I'll either rebuild or sell), and this good 351.
    When this good 351 gets moved to the coupe, I'm not sure what will go in the convertible. Very much toying with the idea of either a mod-motor swap with a Kenne Bell supercharger, or an LS with a whipple.
    Uh, if I have a voice it would be the LS of course because it is a strong platform heavily supported by the after market.
    Plus the LS is an easy fit over those God awfully huge mod engines.
    Do they make a set of headers for that swap????

Even though a SC is a parasitic draw on power to make power the instantaneous response is just silly crazy.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Uh, if I have a voice it would be the LS of course because it is a strong platform heavily supported by the after market.
    Plus the LS is an easy fit over those God awfully huge mod engines.
    Do they make a set of headers for that swap????

Even though a SC is a parasitic draw on power to make power the instantaneous response is just silly crazy.
    My resistance to an LS swap in the past has been because of the cost of getting to a manual transmission. However, now that I'm going to be REALLY pushing the limits of this T5 and spending the money on a better transmission anyway, I'll be able to swap into an LS easier if I get the right transmission.

They make swap components for the mod motors - I just know they're also pretty cheap, engine wise. I agree that the LS has the win on parts availability and market support. It does make more sense to go LS.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My resistance to an LS swap in the past has been because of the cost of getting to a manual transmission. However, now that I'm going to be REALLY pushing the limits of this T5 and spending the money on a better transmission anyway, I'll be able to swap into an LS easier if I get the right transmission.

They make swap components for the mod motors - I just know they're also pretty cheap, engine wise. I agree that the LS has the win on parts availability and market support. It does make more sense to go LS.
    The aftermarket support would be my main reason not just Bow tie/Blue oval.
    What are the limits a Mod will take versus an LS in HP levels. Realistically.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That vibration indicated by the shifter doesn't look all that abnormal really. I drove many foxbody mustangs that were like that. Urethane mounts, urethane bushings or solid rod ends on suspension parts does that real quick
    More than likely Danny will take good care of that 351w...so long as the owner doesn't try yo go too cheap on internal parts lol.

This all keeps reminding me that we have to have ours freshened up at the end of this season. Not looking forward to that
    Do you go deep in this or as needed replacement.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Brother it’s hard to say. I would at 1st think it was the gear box as I have experienced that same issue in the past with a worn out Muncie. But you swapped or fixed the box yes.
    That box has been rebuilt twice. Once by my trusted transmission mechanic, and last year by me. When I did it last year, I did new bearings, new synchros, and a new 2nd gear as that's what broke and prompted the rebuild.

I really want to setup a, "come drive Jeff's Mustang and see what's wrong" day lmao

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    The aftermarket support would be my main reason not just Bow tie/Blue oval.
    What are the limits a Mod will take versus an LS in HP levels. Realistically.
    I have heard that mod motors can make stupid power. My buddy is running 8's on his. I think he has a 4 valve motor. Based on what he says, the mod motors love boost and will take a lot of it.
    I was going to say that it only needs to make 450 at the wheels for the convertible, but then I realized that an LS can just about sneeze and make that power.... So realistically, an LS is gonna make about 550+ at the wheels if I throw a blower on it. Idk about the mod motor.

The REAL question - what blower has the best whine? A Kenne Bell blower (which they DO offer for an LS), or a regular Whipple? I don't know a ton about blowers. I just know I want this thing to whine like it's at a fancy party with cheese.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I think the LS swap is overdone!

It seems like everyone is putting them in everything.
    I vote for a junkyard 4 valve out of a Lincoln !

As far as supercharger’s the Super Stock’s cost about 40 HP to spin GT 500 30 HP.

But you get instant boost in return.

jeffsqartan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    I think the LS swap is overdone!

It seems like everyone is putting them in everything.
    I vote for a junkyard 4 valve out of a Lincoln !

As far as supercharger’s the Super Stock’s cost about 40 HP to spin GT 500 30 HP.

But you get instant boost in return.
    I don't disagree with that, which is one reason I've considered mod motor.
    That, and because the Terminator is a legend and I wouldn't mind having a Terminator-sounding car.

Have also considered just buying a New Edge and building my own "Terminator." That's a whole different can of worms.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom