Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So where is your Street Outlaw at this point?

The car is in a storage unit till i get the drive train sorted. I have everything for the rear (12 bolt GM) except the axles. Not sure how much it will be narrowed as yet.
    Trans is waiting for attention.
    Engine is mere hours from being done.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So this morning I am shipping my headers back to Jegs.
    In reading up on them they will not work with angle plug heads. Yes, I have angle plug heads damnit.

Now I will have to drop serious money and get a set of Hookers for my car that will work. Angle plug SB chevy and an X-frame.

Damnit.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Anybody have a shop press and misc large sockets I can borrow for about an hour? Need to swap out u-joints on my drive shaft

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No need for a shop press. A ball joint press works reall well for U joints. Or if in a real pinch drive them out with a pair of ball peen hammers.

I have used my "Big: "C" clamps and a propane torch in the past.
    Some joint caps are held in place with an injected plastic that needs to be heated so the caps will push out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So this morning I am shipping my headers back to Jegs.
    In reading up on them they will not work with angle plug heads. Yes, I have angle plug heads damnit.

Now I will have to drop serious money and get a set of Hookers for my car that will work. Angle plug SB chevy and an X-frame.

Damnit.

After a nice discussion with the good folks at Jegs the headers I want/need are not standard in stock off the shelf pieces.
    Hooker will make me a set of course but there will be a fee and wait time. I am OK with the wait..........but the fee.....:(

:poop:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    After a nice discussion with the good folks at Jegs the headers I want/need are not standard in stock off the shelf pieces.
    Hooker will make me a set of course but there will be a fee and wait time. I am OK with the wait..........but the fee.....:(

:poop:

Holy crap! They're treating you like a Ford owner!!:faint: You told them it was for a Chevy didn't you???:nailbite: Hell you can probably get the headers you need in the automotive section at CVS!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Holy crap! They're treating you like a Ford owner!!:faint: You told them it was for a Chevy didn't you???:nailbite: Hell you can probably get the headers you need in the automotive section at CVS!!!!

Not for the angle plug heads in an "X" frame car.
    The 64 Impala was the last year of the "X" frame 2 piece drive shaft. The headers are way different.
    I have a set of hookers in the shed from my 65 Biscayne and they will not work in the 64.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Yeah but I am in speedway.

I'm in beech Grove where I work...I can travel if I need to.

No need for a shop press. A ball joint press works reall well for U joints. Or if in a real pinch drive them out with a pair of ball peen hammers.

I used a hammer and vise last time...broke my vise. It's for my one ton Dodge, so not sure if the ball joint press can handle the bigger ujoints

I have used my "Big: "C" clamps and a propane torch in the past.
    Some joint caps are held in place with an injected plastic that needs to be heated so the caps will push out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So my garage isn't heated and I plan on building an engine in it. Am I hosed? Are all my readings gonna be off because of cold parts?

No and you will be surprised how little you have to do with this when you get into it.
    Depends on who does and how much is done machine work wise. If the shop is competent then what you are building is not all that critical.
    If you were getting down and dirty building a 7K capable beast then deck height/chamber CC's/thrust on cam and crank/etc and so on.
    You will need to check ring end gaps for sure and plasti-gauge the mains/rods but pretty much everything else should be plug and play if you have all the right parts.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    No and you will be surprised how little you have to do with this when you get into it.
    Depends on who does and how much is done machine work wise. If the shop is competent then what you are building is not all that critical.
    If you were getting down and dirty building a 7K capable beast then deck height/chamber CC's/thrust on cam and crank/etc and so on.
    You will need to check ring end gaps for sure and plasti-gauge the mains/rods but pretty much everything else should be plug and play if you have all the right parts.

Well that's good.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So I get the word from Jegs that Hooker will make my pipes.
    I also got the word this is not going to be cheap. Not bad but not cheap. I never get cheap. Well, almost never.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom