• Status
    Not open for further replies.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Hookers flow nice and even. I don't think I ever heard a complaint about Hooker Headers in all my years.
    Besides.... they've got the coolest decal in the industry. Maybe the old Moog "Eyes" too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hookers flow nice and even. I don't think I ever heard a complaint about Hooker Headers in all my years.
    Besides.... they've got the coolest decal in the industry. Maybe the old Moog "Eyes" too.

I trust Hooker to bend a set that will clear the angle plugs. That is the trick on a small block chevy. Standard (straight plugs) are cinch. The angle plugs get tough to get the plugs accessed and the wire on with out burning the boots off.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I trust Hooker to bend a set that will clear the angle plugs. That is the trick on a small block chevy. Standard (straight plugs) are cinch. The angle plugs get tough to get the plugs accessed and the wire on with out burning the boots off.

We've got angle plug heads on the S-10.
    Clearance problems on the steering shaft. Actually cut the shaft and extended it to get rid of the collar on it for header clearance.
    Angle plug heads are a P.I.A. but they do build up more flow.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Had to get away from the internet for a few days. I can always tell when im spending to much time on my phone and i gotta reset.

ive thought it over. Im not gonna swap out my cam. Im going to see if it works and if it doesnt ill pull the engine out again. Its become to big a set back in my mind and i gotta keep my momentum. Pickin up a few pieces in lafayette sunday and im back in the action

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had to get away from the internet for a few days. I can always tell when im spending to much time on my phone and i gotta reset.

ive thought it over. Im not gonna swap out my cam. Im going to see if it works and if it doesnt ill pull the engine out again. Its become to big a set back in my mind and i gotta keep my momentum. Pickin up a few pieces in lafayette sunday and im back in the action

Seriously. Get a stall converter or it will not be pleasant. Engine will not idle in gear as it needs to be ran up around 800/900 RPMs and manifold vacuum will be low with the cam overlap.
    I ran a fireball in a 383 (Mopar) I had back in the day. It was a brute. Car was a stick.

If you need some help with that let me know. I might now of some used ones.
    You have a T-400 yes.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Yessir, it is a t-400. I would definitely feel more comfortable swapping out my converter. The idea of opening the engine up before its ever been installed is very worrysome to me. Im sure it isnt anything crazy but i cant wrap my head around it

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yessir, it is a t-400. I would definitely feel more comfortable swapping out my converter. The idea of opening the engine up before its ever been installed is very worrysome to me. Im sure it isnt anything crazy but i cant wrap my head around it

No worries. I get it.
    A simple hole shot converter (2800/3200) is a hoot to run on the street. Behind your 400 it would flash around 3200 if you really leaned on it but operate almost normally just cruising plus it will let the engine idle.

I do suggest a good trans cooler.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Thanks. The term flash refers to what? Ive been rippin it up on some 7 days a week scheduling at work and its time for parts :)

When the converter locks up. We always called it flashing to lock up. Terms may vary.
    If you drive normally you may notice the slightest lag in response when you move away from idle.
    If you stab the throttle the converter flashes (slips) up to lock up and the car leaps away. It is a hoot.
    If you get up on the brakes (power brake no wheel spin) the tach will set at about 2800 and may flash off to 3200 when you let the car loose. It all depends on the converter you buy.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Seriously. Get a stall converter or it will not be pleasant. Engine will not idle in gear as it needs to be ran up around 800/900 RPMs and manifold vacuum will be low with the cam overlap.
    I ran a fireball in a 383 (Mopar) I had back in the day. It was a brute. Car was a stick.

If you need some help with that let me know. I might now of some used ones.
    You have a T-400 yes.

if you have a hook up on used parts, thats like my thing haha. I just stepped out and took a looksy in the garage. Things are lookin real nice

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Remember though that in autocross he will be coming off dead idle in some sections of the course to full stomp, there will be a minimal delay in response due to convertor lockup. If he's not playing at the national level then the milliseconds won't be a thing and I seriously doubt he'll even notice in the heat of the run but for those going for the last thousandth of a second it may play into it.

On my car I installed a convertor that flashed only a few hundred rpm above a stock convertor for this reason. Of course the fact that I am running a roller cam with huge lift and little overlap plays into it also.

Damn I need to get that car together this winter!:xmad:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Remember though that in autocross he will be coming off dead idle in some sections of the course to full stomp, there will be a minimal delay in response due to convertor lockup. If he's not playing at the national level then the milliseconds won't be a thing and I seriously doubt he'll even notice in the heat of the run but for those going for the last thousandth of a second it may play into it.

On my car I installed a convertor that flashed only a few hundred rpm above a stock convertor for this reason. Of course the fact that I am running a roller cam with huge lift and little overlap plays into it also.

Damn I need to get that car together this winter!:xmad:

The fireball cam is a brutal non idling big overlap piece. It will have to idle at least 950 if memory serves. Maybe higher depending on the package.
    A standard Hole shot might give him 2K flash an a hard launch. More likely 1800 if he does not lean on it real hard. With out it he will have to change out that cam.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The fireball cam is a brutal non idling big overlap piece. It will have to idle at least 950 if memory serves. Maybe higher depending on the package.
    A standard Hole shot might give him 2K flash an a hard launch. More likely 1800 if he does not lean on it real hard. With out it he will have to change out that cam.

I don't think driving this will be pleasant. I remember those days of compromising with factory converters. Lots of throwing it in and out of neutral in town.
    I finally worked a few hours overtime and went with the converters and manual shift valve bodies. The manual shift valve bodies were a PIA but RPM stayed in control on the street.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don't think driving this will be pleasant. I remember those days of compromising with factory converters. Lots of throwing it in and out of neutral in town.
    I finally worked a few hours overtime and went with the converters and manual shift valve bodies. The manual shift valve bodies were a PIA but RPM stayed in control on the street.

I recently discarded a complete manual shift package for a Turbo 400. I could not give it away.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom