Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well what size carb are you going to run?
    The taller, longer runners will allow for more air volume inside the intake so you could probably get away with a bigger carb. IF I am thinking correctly the longer runners will also allow the air flow to have more velocity which will allow it to make more power. If you are going to mostly be cruising with it and dust off the occasional wanna be player, I don't think it would hurt anything to run the taller intake. Sure the flatter intake will be a bit more mild mannered but with tighter radius runners it won't flow as well, and if she will spin 7k it will he starting to nose over as it passes 6500.
    On a side note, I would consider researching a super sucker spacer instead of the fiber. I know 2 engine builders that claim 15-20hp gains just by switching them out.

The Carb is a highly worked 750 Holley Double Pumper. I know for a fact it will flow in excess of 820 CFM. Air horn removed and the venturi's have gotten some love. There are all kinds of things my buddy did to this. It is an amazing carb.

You are correct on the long straight runners. On hot days at the track that manifold got a freezer baggy full of ice stuffed in the air gap. It really helped.

I am leaning towards the Holley air gap.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well just by nature of the design the air gap will dissipate heat better. We never mess with the ice trick since the nitrous will cool the air charge. With a carb that will flow that well I would bolt that air gap on. If the gaskets are paper smear some wheel bearing grease on them. If you have to pull the intake it will help keep them from sticking to the intake. Have done that and reused gaskets even after being bolted together a year.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well just by nature of the design the air gap will dissipate heat better. We never mess with the ice trick since the nitrous will cool the air charge. With a carb that will flow that well I would bolt that air gap on. If the gaskets are paper smear some wheel bearing grease on them. If you have to pull the intake it will help keep them from sticking to the intake. Have done that and reused gaskets even after being bolted together a year.

Thanks for putting that old racers trick back in my head. Been a while.

Yeah it is going to be the Air Gap. If it proves cantankerous I can always swap out to the Stealth.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My vote was gonna be Weiand

That manifold would be very streetable. More low and mid.

Thing is, I am bonified nuts. If I knew there was 500 RPM available that I could not reach it would drive me bat:poop: crazy.

Hell I am looking at Super sucker spacers.....:):

Edit...very nice pieces and yes they are proud of them. Truth....if you can bolt on and tune in 8/20 HP that is a drop in the bucket cost wise for that increase.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Thing is, I am bonified nuts. If I knew there was 500 RPM available that I could not reach it would drive me bat:poop: crazy.

Edit...very nice pieces and yes they are proud of them. Truth....if you can bolt on and tune in 8/20 HP that is a drop in the bucket cost wise for that increase.

I'm with you, If I was giving up 500 useful rpm it would make me nuttier than squirrel crap. Of nothing else use the spacers that you've got and hold off on the super sucker as a mild upgrade down the road.

See my problem is I tend to get obsessed and go pretty much all in.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm with you, If I was giving up 500 useful rpm it would make me nuttier than squirrel crap. Of nothing else use the spacers that you've got and hold off on the super sucker as a mild upgrade down the road.

See my problem is I tend to get obsessed and go pretty much all in.

You have seen the pics of some of my bikes/cars yes....Obsession barely covers it.

I do like that spacer.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I was thinking the Weiand WITH the spacer. Maybe the 2" to give it some upper end juice. Not sacrificing top end much with the spacer but using the versatility of the lower power areas.
    It's worth a try anyway I'd think.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was thinking the Weiand WITH the spacer. Maybe the 2" to give it some upper end juice. Not sacrificing top end much with the spacer but using the versatility of the lower power areas.
    It's worth a try anyway I'd think.

That was my original thought. With the spacers I have on hand I can achieve 1 1/2"s with the N0s plate.

Actually 2"s bit that is stacking them deep.......:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It'll be a total rebuild so I'm not terribly concerned about condition

I was looking into building another 383. I have a crank flywheel and balancer for this. I have a decent street cam as well. Maybe a manifold depending on the heads I would run.
    I am short 2 rods and pistons. They were sacrificed to the N2o gods in my 65 Biscayne long ago.
    Just need 2 pistons and a set of Vortec heads to make 400 plus.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was looking into building another 383. I have a crank flywheel and balancer for this. I have a decent street cam as well. Maybe a manifold depending on the heads I would run.
    I am short 2 rods and pistons. They were sacrificed to the N2o gods in my 65 Biscayne long ago.
    Just need 2 pistons and a set of Vortec heads to make 400 plus.

Sounds about right

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sounds about right

We have made 405 with Vortec heads on a 355 and the cam I have new under the bench. I copied the junk yard jewel Hot Rod magazine built.
    The manifold in the pic a few posts back on my stroker is the one we had on that engine. Our engine was a fresh re-build.

I used to have a great Dyno guy. He built sprint car engines. He passed away some time back.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    It'll be a total rebuild so I'm not terribly concerned about condition

Working on a trade now. What I'm trading for has a 350 that starts making noise as soon as it warms up. THat's what I'm told anyway. I haven't heard it.
    I just figured to buy a complete rebuilt motor and do a quick swap out if I get it.
    It's a '95 truck motor with 200K+ on it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK.....I give. The Holley air gap wins.

11TDE7x.jpg

lXoIJoS.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.