churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's coming around quick.
    I have the same dilemma. I think I'm stupid to change anything but I think I might be able to squeeze a handful of hundredths more.
    Isn't that the real issue? I need a dyno in the barn.

I Dynoed this one with the 13.5's in it. 585 at the crank. Lean and mean.
    Same engine I just took 2.3 points of compression out of it. Maybe a shade more with the head gaskets.
    I figure I lost maybe 45/50 horse. That seems "Streetable.....:laugh6:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yeah but it sure is fun when you get the nose pointed in the right direction and stab the throttle!:rockwoot:

Damn I need to get that Galaxie on the street so I can start putting the Mustang back on the track!!

2ltpqug.jpg
    [/IMG]

Keeping the nose pointed in the right direction is the trick.[/QUOTE]

That's the fun part!!!!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Keeping the nose pointed in the right direction is the trick.

That's the fun part!!!!![/QUOTE]

Oh yes it is.
    I would probably be a much more efficient drifter than a road racer. If I really get inside my head and focus I do OK. Thing is I like asphalt and dirt circle tracks. Seems like I am supposed to load my car after the race with a winch, floor jack and a broom/dustpan.........:)

If I didn't maybe I was not trying hard enough.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    BZ...It is hard to run these courses with a Posi or a locker. I could never do it. Requires a very smooth touch on the throttle and I am a bit of a rock ape that way.

Yup....you will be pulling that out this winter for sure. Hope it is a standard bore block.

I'm ok with sliding the ass end around. The C4 did well but was too.... twitchy. She liked to swap ends. Plus I grew up with red and curvy gravel roads. I can figure it out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm ok with sliding the ass end around. The C4 did well but was too.... twitchy. She liked to swap ends. Plus I grew up with red and curvy gravel roads. I can figure it out.

My 64 Chevel had some serious suspension under it. Also had a posi. A freaking hoot to drive but man it could and would set your pucker factor meter on the peg.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The thing with the posi or locker rearends in autocross is to learn how to steer with your right foot. I "used to be" pretty good at negotiating slaloms VERY fast with minimal steering input assisted with judicious application of the loud pedal at the right moment. Someone once told me they watched me from behind as I was going through a slalom and they said it looked as if the car was just leaping left and right as I was flying down the straight vs everyone else steering thru the same section! Good Fun!!!!:rockwoot: The ability to "dirt track it" definitely helps.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The thing with the posi or locker rearends in autocross is to learn how to steer with your right foot. I "used to be" pretty good at negotiating slaloms VERY fast with minimal steering input assisted with judicious application of the loud pedal at the right moment. Someone once told me they watched me from behind as I was going through a slalom and they said it looked as if the car was just leaping left and right as I was flying down the straight vs everyone else steering thru the same section! Good Fun!!!!:rockwoot: The ability to "dirt track it" definitely helps.
    That's the kind of racing ability that makes me a fan of the sport. That sport isn't relegated only to the track.
    I HAD an uncle that could drive anything.
    Growing up around Dale Hollow Lake the roads are winding and dangerous. Ol' C.A could drive a car through those turns and curves without hardly squealing a tire. He could lay the weight in the car down and just smooth through any turn. Those roads in the hills make any road track look like a tamed oval. He could drive.
    You don't see many people that have the ability like that. It's a skill set you guys have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

As a much younger man I drove the same way. I had a 67 Corvette in the day. They were cheap then. 327 340 HP 3 peddle car that I bought wrecked (of course) and we repaired the nose with "Fixed" headlites in the grill. Looked fair for the day.
    I tried my hand at Slalom and some other SCCA events including the road course at IRP a few times. 1st time out proved the stock 2.90 rear gear sucked for this but was a hoot on the hiway. Time for a 4.10. It matched my street driving anyway but kept me off the hiway.

I pretty much used the loud peddle to steer that car. The tire Tech of the day was not much good. It was a freaking ball to drive. The factory posi was just soft enough not to launch it sideways and pitch me into the weeds (well, a few times :)) unlike a locker.

Throttle steering is an art.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Some do not believe me when I tell them the Scat Pack feels faster and is more of a handful.
    The Hellcat is like a smooth rush of torque it also rides better and is quieter I find it a nice highway car and kinda docile.

The Scat Pack is a throwback car when is last time you heard a factory exhaust crackel and pop?
    A little to quick on the throttle and you are rewarded with tire smoke the power comes on like a sledgehammer.
    You know how they paint lines under stoplights if you are not careful you will spin your tires on the stripes taking off normal and then people look at you funny.

Strange thing is nobdy picks a fight with them?
    When I had my Mustangs everything wanted to go now very rarely do I get in a street fight.

The Hellcat belongs to my wife it's a 6 speed and has a loud red and black interior she lets me drive it as long as I don't light the tires up all the time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some do not believe me when I tell them the Scat Pack feels faster and is more of a handful.
    The Hellcat is like a smooth rush of torque it also rides better and is quieter I find it a nice highway car and kinda docile.

The Scat Pack is a throwback car when is last time you heard a factory exhaust crackel and pop?
    A little to quick on the throttle and you are rewarded with tire smoke the power comes on like a sledgehammer.
    You know how they paint lines under stoplights if you are not careful you will spin your tires on the stripes taking off normal and then people look at you funny.

Strange thing is nobdy picks a fight with them?
    When I had my Mustangs everything wanted to go now very rarely do I get in a street fight.

The Hellcat belongs to my wife it's a 6 speed and has a loud red and black interior she lets me drive it as long as I don't light the tires up all the time.

I have felt the same driving a couple of the newer "Muscle" cars. No throwback sledgehammer effect when you plant the loud peddle.
    A good friend is retired and shuttles cars for a few local dealers. He called me a while back as he was driving a Scat Pack. WE went for a short cruise in it. Pretty impressive.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have felt the same driving a couple of the newer "Muscle" cars. No throwback sledgehammer effect when you plant the loud peddle.
    A good friend is retired and shuttles cars for a few local dealers. He called me a while back as he was driving a Scat Pack. WE went for a short cruise in it. Pretty impressive.

I've played with a couple of them. What I noticed most is the stability of the newer"ish" suspensions on the street.
    Weight transfer doesn't seem as prevalent as in the older chassis'. It's a totally different power jump feel when you mate the metal.
    I've got a buddy with the 392 set up and it is pretty noticable when called upon to perform.
    It's going to take some getting used to sitting in a luxury auto that can do tricks.
    Muscle rattles, shakes, and pulls. I've got some learning to do to get into the 21st century. Until then I'll just rumble, make noise, and have people leave finger grooves in the upholstery trying to grab anything to hold on.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've played with a couple of them. What I noticed most is the stability of the newer"ish" suspensions on the street.
    Weight transfer doesn't seem as prevalent as in the older chassis'. It's a totally different power jump feel when you mate the metal.
    I've got a buddy with the 392 set up and it is pretty noticable when called upon to perform.
    It's going to take some getting used to sitting in a luxury auto that can do tricks.
    Muscle rattles, shakes, and pulls. I've got some learning to do to get into the 21st century. Until then I'll just rumble, make noise, and have people leave finger grooves in the upholstery trying to grab anything to hold on.

When I took people out in my 65 Biscayne the look of raw fear was well worth the gallon of racing fuel we burned in a short roll.
    Half of this was the insane metallic symphony of a 388 CI small block chevy stroker nailing 7k i 1st/2nd. A mechanical roller motor with a full exhaust is sweet sweet music to me.

The other half was a serious John Force burn out....back up in the tracks.....engage the launch electronics and put it on the converter with the trans brake. Most people have zero idea what is about to happen when the engine is released off the brake at full song.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom