• Status
    Not open for further replies.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Go to Sears or Napa and get either a spline drive socket or a set of spiral fluted extractor sockets. Both work REALLY well on most rounded of bolts/nuts. We have a guy at work that's like a gorilla..he either rounds off drain plugs or stretches the threads

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Do you have the 5 or 7 series vehicle..I had a97 740i for a short time..One of my favorite cars.
    I worked on BMW for many years...
    Done import cars most all of my life.

'03 540i MTech!!:rockwoot: The only way it could be any better if it were the 6 spd but I'm getting lazy in my old age (or smarter depending on your point of view) and I prefer the slushbox for daily driving. Just finished up the disassembly process on the water pump and am happy to say that my oil leak isn't from the valve covers but from the vanos solenoids so a much easier fix although I have to order the new gaskets. I think I'm going to go ahead and do the valley pan while I've got the cooling system drained down since it's such a pain in the ass to refill. Since I don't drive this when salt's in use I have plenty of time to do it right so I might as well!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    '03 540i MTech!!:rockwoot: The only way it could be any better if it were the 6 spd but I'm getting lazy in my old age (or smarter depending on your point of view) and I prefer the slushbox for daily driving. Just finished up the disassembly process on the water pump and am happy to say that my oil leak isn't from the valve covers but from the vanos solenoids so a much easier fix although I have to order the new gaskets. I think I'm going to go ahead and do the valley pan while I've got the cooling system drained down since it's such a pain in the ass to refill. Since I don't drive this when salt's in use I have plenty of time to do it right so I might as well!

Do it once the right way.....:thumbsup:

indybrownsfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Mooresville

That is a great car...I went to BMW school for that car when the M5 came out in that E39 body style..Love those cars.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

They look like a good score. Just remember with the guide plates, make sure you get hardened push rods. If you don't you will regret it as serious damage will be imminent.

Years ago we slapped in a set of standard push rods and the guide plate whittled the rods down and sent steel filings throughout the engine. Had to do a complete rebuild, turn the crank, new bearings etc.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    They look like a good score. Just remember with the guide plates, make sure you get hardened push rods. If you don't you will regret it as serious damage will be imminent.

Years ago we slapped in a set of standard push rods and the guide plate whittled the rods down and sent steel filings throughout the engine. Had to do a complete rebuild, turn the crank, new bearings etc.

They’ll need new valve springs too. The ones that are in it are for a high lift roller cam. My thought on valve springs is that you want to run the least amount of springs pressure while still being able to maintain valvetrain stability.

Comp recommends these for my cam: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-981-16
    So that’s what I’ll most likely go with.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom