Not open for further replies.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only guys I know that run Mag's are running like 14.71 screw blowers. The vast majority of guys run MSD Power grid boxes. Digital requires using a lap top to make timing adjustments aka running on the dots. They can add or pull timining throughout the run. We are a bit old school and we run a MSD 7AL3 box (using chips). Everyone has been trying to get us to switch to digital for 10 yrs. But, it requires more between round time to adjust so we haven't done it

We had the same box in the Camaro. Everything was chipped but it worked very well for us.
    I can see you need a curve on the timing.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We had the same box in the Camaro. Everything was chipped but it worked very well for us.
    I can see you need a curve on the timing.

It's amazing what they are doing with digital boxes. We looked at the PowerGrid at PRI, but walked away feeling a little confused. It can be as simple as just putting dots on the grid and making a graph to add or pull timing. But there are also add on modules that can use timing to basically work like traction control. Plus it makes it easier to compensate for turning on additional nitrous kits during the run. There does seem to be a learning curve (often come with hurting parts) with it and that has kept us from going down that road. We mostly live by the old KISS (keep it simple stupid) method.

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    Barrett Jackson auction was on when I turned the tv on just now and then this tread comes up on todays posts. Hot Rod fever is getting bad.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Row your own boat! H pattern manual shifted, hot lapping, .4 pro tree, heads up or you're a sissy! :):

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We loved rocking a Pro tree.

Absolutely hate watching one car leave while the other guy eats a sandwich before he can go. I am a heads up racer partly just because I never could understand all the tricks in bracket racing. I have however grown to like index classes. I can see where a 6.50/5.50/5.0 index class could be enjoyable. You leave on a .400 pro tree and just don't go faster than the index.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Absolutely hate watching one car leave while the other guy eats a sandwich before he can go. I am a heads up racer partly just because I never could understand all the tricks in bracket racing. I have however grown to like index classes. I can see where a 6.50/5.50/5.0 index class could be enjoyable. You leave on a .400 pro tree and just don't go faster than the index.

Index racing is just another form of brackets you just leave heads up and dont "Break" out.
    It took me and the boy a few years to get dialed in on the many nuances of bracket racing. The boy only knew one way to do it and that was dial the car what you thought it would run and mat the little pedal on the right. Never dropped the nose until 700+ feet or 1400 feet. Everybody hated racing him because of this tactic.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Index racing is just another form of brackets you just leave heads up and dont "Break" out.
    It took me and the boy a few years to get dialed in on the many nuances of bracket racing. The boy only knew one way to do it and that was dial the car what you thought it would run and mat the little pedal on the right. Never dropped the nose until 700+ feet or 1400 feet. Everybody hated racing him because of this tactic.

Oh I understand index racing is a form of bracket racing, but at least it's on a pro tree and you don't have to be closest to the dial. If you dial your car in so it's consistent you just have to be first to the stripe to win. I can dig that. What I hate is watching guy get off the gas before the stripe, braking and changing dial ins etc. Index racing is easier to watch

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh I understand index racing is a form of bracket racing, but at least it's on a pro tree and you don't have to be closest to the dial. If you dial your car in so it's consistent you just have to be first to the stripe to win. I can dig that. What I hate is watching guy get off the gas before the stripe, braking and changing dial ins etc. Index racing is easier to watch

Thats for sure.
    My son was a master at knowing what the car was going to run in given conditions. Far better than I was. We had the dial ET deal for the window. We were allowed to change the dial right up until you entered the final stage lane. 1 car out of the water box you had to be set because someone in the tower already had you in the computer.
    The trick is being faster than you dial. I had no worries with the Biscayne. It ran the 12.0 bracket. It was faster but not legal to be faster. No bar and the original lap belt. Thats a street car....:):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I go to a big club race in Ohio every year and they recently added index racing due to the track's (Norwalk) strick NHRA rule interpretations. Not everyone wants or can afford all the gear to run flat out. I have most of the equipment but my rollbar is only good to 10.0 @ 135 MPH. I've broken that speed limit long ago and am technically not legal and need a full certified cage. I haven't made a full boogie pass down a track in ~4-5 years so am in no hurry to weld in a full cage.

The event set indexes at times that correlate with the NHRA rules. I think it went well and made for some good racing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I go to a big club race in Ohio every year and they recently added index racing due to the track's (Norwalk) strick NHRA rule interpretations. Not everyone wants or can afford all the gear to run flat out. I have most of the equipment but my rollbar is only good to 10.0 @ 135 MPH. I've broken that speed limit long ago and am technically not legal and need a full certified cage. I haven't made a full boogie pass down a track in ~4-5 years so am in no hurry to weld in a full cage.

The event set indexes at times that correlate with the NHRA rules. I think it went well and made for some good racing.

Our camaro was good to 6.40/9.90 with the safety gear and licenses we had. We needed a window net and Halo bar to go faster (legally anyway) and the next level license. If we felt the need to turn it loose we went nostalgia racing or went to a looser ran NHRA track like Terre Haute. We could go flat out at those shows.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom