• Status
    Not open for further replies.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They’ll need new valve springs too. The ones that are in it are for a high lift roller cam. My thought on valve springs is that you want to run the least amount of springs pressure while still being able to maintain valvetrain stability.

Comp recommends these for my cam: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-981-16
    So that’s what I’ll most likely go with.

After my experience with Comp I wouldn't use them to hold up a mailbox. Good Luck!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have never had an issue with Comp. However the last year or two I have heard of several people having issues with their stuff. I would look at other options

This cam is brand new in the box. 4 years old. Bought and never used. I have never had an issue with a comp and have used several. I did have a Failure with a Lunati during break in. Wiped 3 lobes.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    This cam is brand new in the box. 4 years old. Bought and never used. I have never had an issue with a comp and have used several. I did have a Failure with a Lunati during break in. Wiped 3 lobes.

Yeah I’ve only heard about it recently so I think we’re good. If it goes flat, it goes flat. Give me an excuse to go full roller.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK.........I watched the latest street outlaws.

It seems they are trying to generate some drama in the show to keeps the sheeple watching. Without giving anything away to those who have not seen it lets discuss when you have.

1.....since when does it take a 3 man crew outside the driver to run one of these cars.
    2....How much time between rounds is required to run one of these cars.
    3....WTF

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    OK.........I watched the latest street outlaws.

It seems they are trying to generate some drama in the show to keeps the sheeple watching. Without giving anything away to those who have not seen it lets discuss when you have.

1.....since when does it take a 3 man crew outside the driver to run one of these cars.
    2....How much time between rounds is required to run one of these cars.
    3....WTF

I haven't watched it yet. But, our car is in the same class as these guys. In fact I know several guys who have been on/ will be on the show. We were invited but we don't do no prep stuff so we chose not to go look like fools on tv.

1- keep in mind the faster the cars the more between round maintenance has to be done. There are 3 of us that take care of the car between rounds and sometimes we could use another person or two (not including driver). Keep in mind they are street Raced cars..not street cars.
    2- between rounds you have to...
    Cool the engine off (radiators aren't enough and some don't run a radiator)
    Check/change spark plugs
    Download data from the Racepak (data logger)
    Make tuning changes (injected cars- mostly done with lap top. Carb cars like ours we also have to manually adjust fuel pressure based on reading spark plugs and use lap top to adjust digital timing info)
    Shock/chassis/ wheelie bare adjustments
    Put ice in the inner coolers (turbo cars)
    Change nitrous bottles
    Charge the battery (most don't run alternators)
    Pack chutes (if used)
    Set tire pressure
    Top off gas
    At the track as the night goes on the turn around time gets shorter with less cars and the track officials want to get it over with. We are usually given 20-30 minutes to get everything done and get back to the staging lanes. These are all out max effort cars and they are...well they are finicky moody *****es (the cars)

Several times we have had to rush to get the car turned around for the finals and have been limited to charge batteries (we run 2 for extra capacity), change nitrous bottles, top off gas and get back to the lanes and set tire pressure in the lanes. Some days it feels like you thrash from the time you unload the car till it's time to go home.
    3- yep I admit..it takes a special type of idiot to race heads up

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I haven't watched it yet. But, our car is in the same class as these guys. In fact I know several guys who have been on/ will be on the show. We were invited but we don't do no prep stuff so we chose not to go look like fools on tv.

1- keep in mind the faster the cars the more between round maintenance has to be done. There are 3 of us that take care of the car between rounds and sometimes we could use another person or two (not including driver). Keep in mind they are street Raced cars..not street cars.
    2- between rounds you have to...
    Cool the engine off (radiators aren't enough and some don't run a radiator)
    Check/change spark plugs
    Download data from the Racepak (data logger)
    Make tuning changes (injected cars- mostly done with lap top. Carb cars like ours we also have to manually adjust fuel pressure based on reading spark plugs and use lap top to adjust digital timing info)
    Shock/chassis/ wheelie bare adjustments
    Put ice in the inner coolers (turbo cars)
    Change nitrous bottles
    Charge the battery (most don't run alternators)
    Pack chutes (if used)
    Set tire pressure
    Top off gas
    At the track as the night goes on the turn around time gets shorter with less cars and the track officials want to get it over with. We are usually given 20-30 minutes to get everything done and get back to the staging lanes. These are all out max effort cars and they are...well they are finicky moody *****es (the cars)

Several times we have had to rush to get the car turned around for the finals and have been limited to charge batteries (we run 2 for extra capacity), change nitrous bottles, top off gas and get back to the lanes and set tire pressure in the lanes. Some days it feels like you thrash from the time you unload the car till it's time to go home.
    3- yep I admit..it takes a special type of idiot to race heads up

This would never fly in the Brackets.
    I get it. I really do but if you watch the show you tell me what you think.
    I have been (already discussed at length) around this stuff since I can remember. I have ran with some really serious players. I have watched the next level guys with intent. I have worked on and around top fuel cars more than just a little. So yeah, I do get it.
    I am not sure how heads up works but in the brackets when you make the quarters your time lessens. You most likely will not go back to the trailer once you get in the lanes for the final 4 if you advance. Depends on the track and how organized they are.

Both of our last 2 cars had a cool down option. On the painless box it was marked cool. Most usually the trans was cool when we got off the return road. I realize huge power numbers generate a lot of heat but with the right stuff it can be handled. We called it hot boxing
    Turn on the cool switch and the electric pump and fans ran until the engine was cool. 1 fan would drop off when close to the desired mark. When the mark was achieved the pump and remaining fan would also drop off. If the engine heat sinked a bit the cycle repeated. Always had fresh engine temps when we were called up. Dual deep cycle battery's (gel cells) and a proper alternator kept everything on top. I knew guys that Poo-Poo'd alternators but they had jump boxes and
    "B"-chargers between rounds. That wee bit off power is a wash in the brackets. Heads up maybe not.
    Proper gear. Chance favors the prepared mind......

M5PJwEa.jpg

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This would never fly in the Brackets.
    I get it. I really do but if you watch the show you tell me what you think.
    I have been (already discussed at length) around this stuff since I can remember. I have ran with some really serious players. I have watched the next level guys with intent. I have worked on and around top fuel cars more than just a little. So yeah, I do get it.
    I am not sure how heads up works but in the brackets when you make the quarters your time lessens. You most likely will not go back to the trailer once you get in the lanes for the final 4 if you advance. Depends on the track and how organized they are.

Both of our last 2 cars had a cool down option. On the painless box it was marked cool. Most usually the trans was cool when we got off the return road. I realize huge power numbers generate a lot of heat but with the right stuff it can be handled. We called it hot boxing
    Turn on the cool switch and the electric pump and fans ran until the engine was cool. 1 fan would drop off when close to the desired mark. When the mark was achieved the pump and remaining fan would also drop off. If the engine heat sinked a bit the cycle repeated. Always had fresh engine temps when we were called up. Dual deep cycle battery's (gel cells) and a proper alternator kept everything on top. I knew guys that Poo-Poo'd alternators but they had jump boxes and
    "B"-chargers between rounds. That wee bit off power is a wash in the brackets. Heads up maybe not.
    Proper gear. Chance favors the prepared mind......

M5PJwEa.jpg
    I know you have been around this stuff forever (some might say since Roman chariot racing lol), but running a heads up car is quite different than a bracket car.
    Since it's a max effort deal, for the most part if it's not a necessity then it shouldn't be on the car. These cars have steel roofs and quarters and have a vin tag. Otherwise in large part they border between top sportsman and pro mod's (I call them baby pro mods).
    Our car has a fan/radiator but it doesn't keep the engine cool enough on its own. Partly because the radiator is fairly small. No trans cooler, just a 1ft hose loop, again to cut weight. Some guys have to use a fan to cool the trans between rounds.
    With the dry sump tank and vacuum pump on the front motor plate and a dry sump pump hanging off there just isn't room for an alternator. We run 2 -16v AGM batteries for the extra capacity and so it has more reserve if we don't get sufficient time to charge between rnds. With a big nitrous tune it can suck down a battery pretty quick (especially if you have to use a bottle heater in the lanes). I couldn't tell you how it effects a turbo car.
    These cars are super finicky with regard to their tune ups. It's really important to read plugs and adjust timing and fuel press as the conditions change from hot sunny afternoon to the cooler night air as the dew sets in. If you don't bad things will happen.

I have a good friend that bracket races. He just shakes his head and looks at how much we are working on the car throughout the day.
    In large part I think bracket guys have the right idea. Those guys can pretty much go straight back to the lanes, drink some water and go again. Plus many guys can fire it up and cruise it around town.
    As I said, it takes a special kind of idiot to race heads up. I say that because I think we aren't happy with finding an ET and running it consistently. We are always tweaking stuff to find just a little bit more speed and cut a little bit more ET.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know you have been around this stuff forever (some might say since Roman chariot racing lol), but running a heads up car is quite different than a bracket car.
    Since it's a max effort deal, for the most part if it's not a necessity then it shouldn't be on the car. These cars have steel roofs and quarters and have a vin tag. Otherwise in large part they border between top sportsman and pro mod's (I call them baby pro mods).
    Our car has a fan/radiator but it doesn't keep the engine cool enough on its own. Partly because the radiator is fairly small. No trans cooler, just a 1ft hose loop, again to cut weight. Some guys have to use a fan to cool the trans between rounds.
    With the dry sump tank and vacuum pump on the front motor plate and a dry sump pump hanging off there just isn't room for an alternator. We run 2 -16v AGM batteries for the extra capacity and so it has more reserve if we don't get sufficient time to charge between rnds. With a big nitrous tune it can suck down a battery pretty quick (especially if you have to use a bottle heater in the lanes). I couldn't tell you how it effects a turbo car.
    These cars are super finicky with regard to their tune ups. It's really important to read plugs and adjust timing and fuel press as the conditions change from hot sunny afternoon to the cooler night air as the dew sets in. If you don't bad things will happen.

I have a good friend that bracket races. He just shakes his head and looks at how much we are working on the car throughout the day.
    In large part I think bracket guys have the right idea. Those guys can pretty much go straight back to the lanes, drink some water and go again. Plus many guys can fire it up and cruise it around town.
    As I said, it takes a special kind of idiot to race heads up. I say that because I think we aren't happy with finding an ET and running it consistently. We are always tweaking stuff to find just a little bit more speed and cut a little bit more ET.

Does anybody in heads up run a Mag or do you all run electronic ignitions. Seems like a well made Mag would fill the bill with zero power drain on the battery's.

Having spent so much time/effort working on the cars at the track the well prepped bracket car seemed to best way to go for me. 2 cars with my son and I doing all the work.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Does anybody in heads up run a Mag or do you all run electronic ignitions. Seems like a well made Mag would fill the bill with zero power drain on the battery's.

The only guys I know that run Mag's are running like 14.71 screw blowers. The vast majority of guys run MSD Power grid boxes. Digital requires using a lap top to make timing adjustments aka running on the dots. They can add or pull timining throughout the run. We are a bit old school and we run a MSD 7AL3 box (using chips). Everyone has been trying to get us to switch to digital for 10 yrs. But, it requires more between round time to adjust so we haven't done it

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom